“Amazing views on the walk”
Review of Sandstone Trail

Sandstone Trail
Ranked #20 of 67 things to do in Chester
Reviewed 4 November 2017

This is a brilliant walk, high up with the most amazing views. It's well sign-posted and you can get on and off at various points along the way, with good car-parking if needed. Some high climbs and steep drops so not really suitable for those with mobility problems but some parts have got good acccess for an easier stroll, perhaps with a pushchair or wheelchair.

All reviews
"peckforton"
"landscape"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 30 October 2017

We have done the whole trail in bite size walks as we are Sunday strollers as opposed to hard-core walkers. It is a wonderful pathway through beautiful Cheshire.

1  Thank Chestertripper
Reviewed 11 October 2017

We've completed most of the higher sections of The Sandstone Trail during several trips to visit family in the area. So far, our favourite part is around Bickerton Hill where we followed the well-signposted routes for a 6-mile circular one morning. There are some good, free car parks along the way and, when we were there, free maps with information for those who like to read up about the history and landscape. Recommended.

1  Thank breweruk
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful views along this trail which is not at all difficult to trek. Covering about 11 miles a day over 3 days is a reasonable expectation for a walker taking their time to absorb the surroundings and to travel off the path to the nearby towns and landmarks.
For the most part it crosses through farmland and forest. Sometimes crossing through fields of livestock and crops so take care to respect the farm areas that you are walking through and not interfere with livestock or crops.
The weather in this area is so calm and mild meaning you can get away with wearing light clothes for most of the year when doing this walk. At this time of the year however there were a lot of nettles growing along the path and sometimes overgrown across the path. I wore shorts on the first day but was glad to have long trousers for the second day to protect my legs even though it really was weather for shorts. Would recommend wearing long trousers at this time of year or bringing a stick to push them out of your way as you walk.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2017

I walked the Sandstone Trail on 17th June 2017 - one of the hottest days of the year and it nearly killed me. I'm a keen long distance hiker and always do a 30 miler on or around the longest day of the year. When I saw the forecast I chose not to take the dog and instead took 4 litres of water. I took on board another 2 litres at Beeston Castle and still ran out with just a few miles to go.

To start the walk my brother dropped me off at Frodsham and then met me in the Black Bear in Whitchurch 10 hours and 39 minutes later. I packed really light choosing my smallest rucksack in which I packed a map, solar phone charger, spare socks, t shirt, towel, chocolate bars, crisps, a sandwich and my hydration bladder plus a couple more bottles and a small medi pack. I wore shorts and a t shirt with my favourite boots and decent socks and carried a camera, phone and trail guide (which is very good by the way).

The walk is absolutely terrific and even though I was really hot there was enough shade to give me regular respite from the sun. The first 28 miles or so are the best and the views are to die for. I think the walk would be far better done over two days but I think I'd go from Whitchurch to Frodsham as the final few miles into Whitchurch were a bit tame.

I'd seriously recommend the Black Bear in Whitchurch by the way. Great beer and food and a nice outside seating area in which to sit and reflect on a great days walking.

4  Thank richwhalley