“Beautiful walk for the novice hiker”
Review of Sandstone Trail

Sandstone Trail
Ranked #21 of 105 things to do in Chester
Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Wonderful views along this trail which is not at all difficult to trek. Covering about 11 miles a day over 3 days is a reasonable expectation for a walker taking their time to absorb the surroundings and to travel off the path to the nearby towns and landmarks.
For the most part it crosses through farmland and forest. Sometimes crossing through fields of livestock and crops so take care to respect the farm areas that you are walking through and not interfere with livestock or crops.
The weather in this area is so calm and mild meaning you can get away with wearing light clothes for most of the year when doing this walk. At this time of the year however there were a lot of nettles growing along the path and sometimes overgrown across the path. I wore shorts on the first day but was glad to have long trousers for the second day to protect my legs even though it really was weather for shorts. Would recommend wearing long trousers at this time of year or bringing a stick to push them out of your way as you walk.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"nettles"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 19 June 2017

I walked the Sandstone Trail on 17th June 2017 - one of the hottest days of the year and it nearly killed me. I'm a keen long distance hiker and always do a 30 miler on or around the longest day of the year. When I saw the forecast I chose not to take the dog and instead took 4 litres of water. I took on board another 2 litres at Beeston Castle and still ran out with just a few miles to go.

To start the walk my brother dropped me off at Frodsham and then met me in the Black Bear in Whitchurch 10 hours and 39 minutes later. I packed really light choosing my smallest rucksack in which I packed a map, solar phone charger, spare socks, t shirt, towel, chocolate bars, crisps, a sandwich and my hydration bladder plus a couple more bottles and a small medi pack. I wore shorts and a t shirt with my favourite boots and decent socks and carried a camera, phone and trail guide (which is very good by the way).

The walk is absolutely terrific and even though I was really hot there was enough shade to give me regular respite from the sun. The first 28 miles or so are the best and the views are to die for. I think the walk would be far better done over two days but I think I'd go from Whitchurch to Frodsham as the final few miles into Whitchurch were a bit tame.

I'd seriously recommend the Black Bear in Whitchurch by the way. Great beer and food and a nice outside seating area in which to sit and reflect on a great days walking.

4  Thank richwhalley
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Some great views and walks here ) find mad Alan's cave it's so cool ) it's a all year rounder each to there own as to what months you like walking and seeing different shades from summer to winter it's free and you can get some great photos

3  Thank David G
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Completed the second half from The Pheasant Inn at Higher Burwardsley to Whitchurch. Fantastic climbs, elevated views and an amazing variety of scenery. a brilliant morning of a 17 mile walk ending with a drive back to The Pheasant and some grub.