“40th birthday celebration”

Price range: US$83 - US$103
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Open for dinners , Tuesdays - Saturdays from 6.30pm . Independent Restaurant , which is Situated inside The Gonville Hotel , Gonville Place , Cambridge , CB11LY , Mid January 2017 . We source the best quality Meat, Fish , Vegetables and products. 5-7 Housemade breads daily changing. Minimum three courses menu . Traditional , handcrafted style , from Masterchef ( Kuchen meister ) Hans Schweitzer and his brigade. Desserts a speciality , Signature dish - 'The Chocolate Piano ' designed and created by Luciano Pavarotti .
Reviewed 12 October 2018

I ate here last night with my friend, to celebrate our 40th birthdays. The evening was perfect - lovely staff, delicious food, wonderful cocktails and wine. I couldn't fault it, and would definitely dine here again (once my hangover has subsided!)

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Wonderful ambience, comfortable chairs, sophisticated surroundings, tip top service and truly deliciously delightful cuisine. This is a must!

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

A group of us visited Cotto to celebrate our friends wedding anniversary and as usual everything was fantastic. Most of our party had not been before but were very impressed from the moment they walked in. The service, food and ambiance were great.
Thank you Ruth, Hans and staff for a perfect evening .

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

We sat next to the window overlooking Parkers Piece. It's the best part of the restaurant though at the moment building work obstructs the view. Good tables and chairs which are well set out and efficient non intrusive service makes for a good evening. Mellow atmosphere which we liked. Food was very good. My partner loved his pigeon main but I was less keen on my lamb. I was a bit miffed that after asking for it well done that it turned up rather rare and that having been advised that it was okay well done then to be advised it would not be so juicey. They took it away and it turned up again very quickly looking almost the same. Actually it was fine but the dish lacked any wow factor though the asparagus was excellent. Our seafood soups and piano puddings were very good too. My partner chose the one Rose wine (made things simple for him) which he really enjoyed though it was an odd choice.

It was my first time at the new venue and I liked it. It's not cheap obviously but it depends what you are comparing it to. It was my partner's birthday (we never tell restaurants this golly the horror of hearing tales of the entire restaurant bursting into song, though I can't quite imagine it here!) and I paid under half what he paid in Nathan Outlaw for mine. Importantly he much preferred it here on all counts - service, ambience and food. So praise indeed!

My one suggestion would be to have another fish main on the menu. It's a bit too meaty for my taste.

1  Thank Cornflake50
Reviewed 8 September 2018

We first went to Cotto in October 2017 during a visit to Cambridge. At that time we gave it a 5 star review.

When we decided to visit Cambridge again this September, one of our first thoughts was to go to Cotto again. We are soooooooooo glad we did.

The food was every bit as good as we remembered. The service absolutely excellent. We could have not been more impressed.

Of particular mention are the bread (yes the bread! Nowhere does a better bread selection in our opinion), the venison, and the piano dessert. But every other single mouthful was wonderful too.

Thank you Cotto. Next time we are in Cambridge, we will certainly return.

2  Thank TommoNorfolk