“Diabolical service”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Admittedly I am a caterer of 40 years and would prefer to be told how it is rather than lie. Otherwise how do we ensure it doesn’t happen to anyone else. Unless of course we want to go bust!
We had to wait 40 mins for a shared platter but Customers in after us were served mains half an hour before us so a two hour lunch for a non complicated order was down right unforgivable.This restaurant couldnt cope and serve in a logical way so be prepared. Not one service visit to offer anymore drinks so they lost out on us spending more and not a dessert or coffee offered either. Two hours was definitely enough and we couldn’t wait to get out. We shall not be returning.

Date of visit: April 2018
BillsRestaurant, Operations Manager at Bill's, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Good evening, Daddiorhodio, i am so sorry you experienced such a disappointing visit. Would you be able to forward me your contact details, to hello@bills-email.co.uk? I would like to discuss this further. Best wishes, Romain

Write a ReviewReviews (1 591)

132 - 136 of 1 591 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

If you are looking for a nice spot for brunch in Cambridge, this is perfect. It’s off such a cute street in Cambridge. Here from London for the weekend and the nicest Bills I’ve been to - Bills breakfast was hearty and yummy. Hector was lovely - thank-you for making out meal great - perfect easter weekend ! Filled us up perfectly for an afternoon of bunting.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Thank you for wonderful service. Especially yummy butternut squash salad. Very relaxing atmosphere. Particular thanks to Hector who was our attentive waiter!

Date of visit: March 2018
BillsRestaurant, Operations manager at Bill's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi MY90, Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a positive review. Hector's service skills are legendary! We hope to see you soon in the near future. All the best, Romain

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

We visited Bills like every time we do when we are in Cambridge. They have both tasty and healthy breakfast options. I preferred avocado on toast which was very good and the toast was whole wheat. My husband skipped healthy and preferred the whole Bill’s breakfast with scrambled eggs and lots of meat aside. We could not resist the scones and jams as the dessert, they come with clotted cream btw. Service is very kind and friendly. Atmosphere feels very nice and warm, like you are in an Italian home.

1  Thank GizemD216

Hi Gizem U, Thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you soon. Best wishes, Romain

Reviewed 25 March 2018

First, I tried to have breakfast at this place 3 times before I managed to get a table. Once I showed up, there was no space, fine. Second time, I was told that they only accept customers with reservations. Surprised. Then I made a reservation. Showed up. The guy couldn't see my name on the list and he said "It is okay, it is not necessary I have space anyway". Yeah. So, I understand if you only accept people with reservations because I myself do not like to wait in a cue for breakfast. I like that. But then stick to that. I dont know. Anyway.

I ordered the puched eggs with smoked ham and grilled halloumi as a side. It was okay. I mean, it wasn't super tasty. It was also not very warm. The eggs felt like they were cooked 10mins before I received the plate. It was not warm. There was an older man sitting next to me, he also complained about his food being cold.

Then I wanted to have something sweet and saw that they had buttermilk pancakes on the menu. I was about to order and then saw the price. 3 stacks pancakes with some fruits is 6.95pounds! OMG.

I don't know what's up with the pancake prices in Cambridge. They are ridiculous. For 7 pounds, you can make a pancake castle at home. I mean, it is just pancakes.. I wwent out to the street market instead, and grabbed a very nice freshly made Belgian Waffle with belgian chocolate for 3.5p!

Another thing, this always gets me. I saw the receipt and 10% tip was already included in my bill. I might sound like a cheap person, but I really am not. I think a tip is my initiative. If I am not really satisfied with the service, I may or may not leave 10% tip. If I like it, then I may leave 15-20% tip. But it is my choice, my initiative. It annoys me a lot when I am forced to leave a tip. See, I was going to leave 15% tip and be happy with it. But since they forced me to pay, I hate it that I had to pay 10% more, plus they got less than what I would have left.

The staff is very friendly and helpful though.

I would not give a second chance to this place for breakfast. Fitzbillies is still my number one!