“Hidden gem away from the madding crowd”
Review of Clarendon Arms

Clarendon Arms
Ranked #9 of 732 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$8 - US$42
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

In Cambridge on a flying visit, and a little footsore and weary by the time we discovered the Clarendon Arms. Tucked away between houses, it would be easy to blink and miss. We liked the ambience and the look of the place when we went inside, and booked a table for the evening. We hadn't made a mistake and enjoyed the food very much. Pleasingly both ordinary menu and special menu were supplied at the table, so we didn't need to hunt for blackboards with specials on. Service was extremely efficient and the whole atmosphere laid back and friendly. A jug of water and glasses were provided at the table, and drink orders quickly served. A glass of beer was spilled from a tray whilst we were there, splash bang in the middle of the corridor, but no fuss or bother was made, and it was quickly cleaned up by two staff, as if the most natural thing in the world. Newspapers and board games were available. Loos clean. A place with real charm, helped by good staff. I would advice booking, particularly if a weekend.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Two of us ate, arriving on Wednesday evening without a reservation and securing the last table. My starter of crispy duck dumplings were full of meat but it was my main course of a seafood and fish parcel in Thai red curry that really impressed. It was the best seafood dish that I had eaten in a very long time. Even the cheesecake dessert was of a notable high quality, standing out from most restaurants.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I only popped in for a pint, as the pub was unknown to me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the lovely smell upon entering.
The pint was expensive, but it is a very central pub so it was to be expected. The food however looked delicious at a table near me, and was priced very reasonably for Cambridge! And was also a definite invitation for me to return with company.
The landlord was happy and welcoming, the toilets were clean and fresh, (gents could do with a loo roll holder rather than the floor please?), but all in all it seemed a nice local pub.

theclarendonarms, Manager at Clarendon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for your comments

Sorry about the loo roll holder . Every time we attach one it seems to get removed (especially on the weekends - maybe something to do with the alchohol!)

We are currently waiting for a new one to arrive which hopefully will withstand our male customers

Thanks for letting us know

Hope to see you again

Reviewed 16 March 2018

The staff in this pub are all excellent - very attentive, charming, and real. But I am really writing this review, the first I have ever written on tripadvisor, to talk about the ham, egg & chips. It's a very common dish in an English pub, and I have had very many. They have been poor to middling, all of them, but the HE&C in The Clarendon Arms is absolutely outstanding. I never thought a simple pub grub dish like this could be, but it genuinely is. The menu talks of 'proper chips', and whilst I didn't know what that meant or what to expect it's true, they are truly proper. The gammon is slow cooked, smokey and delicious, and the eggs are perfect. Excellent pub and thoroughly recommended. I'm going back tomorrow!

2  Thank Will S

The gammon is a personally favourite of mine as well!

See you again soon

Thanks

Reviewed 8 March 2018

To date the best sunday roast i have had in cambridge - excellent pork belly and crackling, roasties and loved the gravy. Great atmosphere and very dog friendly. Been wanting to try the roast dinner after a good friday night meal and it certainly didn't disappoint.

Warm brownie and mint choc chip ice cream a real treat as well

Friendly and attentive staff too

theclarendonarms, Manager at Clarendon Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thanks so much for your comments !!

You'll have to come back again to try the beef or lamb - or vegetarian roast

I will let the kitchen and staff know :)

Thanks