“good steak”

Miller & Carter Steakhouse - Aylesbury Vale
Ranked #99 of 248 Restaurants in Aylesbury
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Great steak and cooked to how we like it. The puddings were tasty and fresh. Waitress service was very good and friendly. Only diwn side was the drinks were slightly more expensive than elsewhere.
Good evening though

General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter Steakhouse - Aylesbury Vale, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hi Mtkcme, thank you so much for your positive comments about Miller & Carter Aylesbury!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a truly wonderful date night here. We came on a Thursday and didn't feel like the date night menu but enjoyed the prosecco offer getting a bottle, my partner also enjoyed his cocktail.
I ordered the Garlic King Prawns which I found slightly over cooked but the garlic butter was gorgeous. My partner had Sticky Chipotle Chicken which was amazing, I was very envious!
For mains I had the 16OZ Ribeye with the Garlic mayonnaise & Grand Padano wedge, I also had the Lobster and Prawn Tempura. The steak was cooked exactly to order and was lovely, I really enjoyed having a wedge salad to refresh the palate. The tempura was really nice. I really enjoyed it.
My partner had the T-Bone which he loved, he almost was eating it off the bone at one point. He also ordered Garlic Sauteed Greens, which I had to try not to eat all of, they were very, very good.
As for the chips served with the steak, eh, I was more focused on everything else.
After our meal we were able to finish the bottle of prosecco in the bar area which was snug and nice. Loved the wine "room" on display. My only gripe would be a laptop was left on the stable open which some members of staff had been, it takes up a table and just doesn't look very professional (in my opinion).
Apart from that the service was fantastic, really attentive and professional.
Overall a perfect date night and I can't wait to go back. Thank you.

We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us! We look forward to your next visit! Take care!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Same menu as all other branches (in other words wonderful food, that is really well cooked).

Nicely laid out, well decorated and kept very clean and tidy. However it has not been open that long.

Great service and really good burgers. Just nothing to fault about the place at all.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I visited this restaurant 10/06/18, a Sunday, with two friends, one of which had visited from London for the weekend. I chose this restaurant as we are hardly spoiled for choice in this town and I had heard that this restaurant was of the higher-tier quality-wise in Aylesbury. We arrived at around 2.30pm, we had booked a table but were running slightly late, I called half an hour before we were due to make the staff aware of our delays to which they responded in a pleasant manner and said they had logged us as 'arrived' so we did not lose our table. 45 minutes later, we walked through the doors to an empty restaurant. We decided to sit outside due to the nice weather - though the outside area is more suited to drinking rather than dining, however since my friends wished to sit here I obliged. We were told that we had to pay at the bar and could not open a tab - fine, I have worked in restaurants/pubs before and understand the increased likelihood of walk-outs when dining outside, however the way we were told was unprofessional from the bar-staff who kind of told us with a 'tough' sort of attitude. We also realised upon sitting down that my friend had been slightly overcharged.

At this point I must mention how uncomfortable the staff made my friends and I feel, we are 3 young 22-year old girls and as we walked through the restaurant, male and female staff stared at us as if we were aliens. It was very clear that comments were being made and throughout the dining experience I got the impression that we had been spoken about amid the team.

We each ordered from the 3-course menu - I must say this is great value for money considering the meals themselves can on a regular day equate to one course. However, I must question whether the quality wanes when ordering from said menu. I have eaten once before at this restaurant, when it first opened, in May 2017 and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal - hence the return.

For my starter I had ordered calamari, my friend ordered the sticky chicken and the other ordered the mushrooms; I was shocked when these arrived within 3/4 minutes of sitting down! The calamari was soggy, and luke-warm. The chicken was very nice. And my friend who ordered the mushrooms received calamari...upon telling the waitress that they had brought out the wrong food (she, at this time, was talking to my other friend as they used to work together) she merely picked up the plate and questioned whether it was actually incorrect - no apology passed her lips. Around 7 minutes later the mushrooms arrived with semi-melted cheese on top, by this time my friend and I had finished our starters.

One reason I did not want to sit outside is due to the tendency of staff forgetting about us, although I had told them to keep an eye on our plates once finished, I still found myself stacking the plates on the empty table behind us (which was not cleared until we were on desserts!) We decided to move table to a slightly larger one in the sun, we made the staff aware of this and the food came out mid-move, the young waiter started placing the plates on the old table and expected us to take the plates with us as we moved. I noticed his laziness and requested he carries them for us as we move our drinks/handbags etc.

Anyway, in all fairness, the food came out quite promptly - two orders of sirloin, one seabass dish. My friend with the seabass really enjoyed her meal but strangely it arrived with a side dish of potato fries - these had not been ordered and we then realised this is why she had been overcharged! We mentioned this to the waiter who did not even seem to understand what we were saying but said that we can 'have them anyway' - which would have been fine, had we not been charged for them.

The two sirloins arrived and were too bloody, the salad consisted of a couple of leaves and what looked like an eighth of a tomato! We had ordered lettuce wedges as well, which did not turn up until requested, and when they did arrive (10 mins later) the topping was minimal. My sauce was cold and my steak was not hot enough either. My friend sent her steak back as it was far too rare for her and then had to wait even longer for it to be returned than we had to wait between our meals!

So it finally arrived but without an apology, at least her meal was hot! I didn't finish my meal, it was all a bit bland and I don't see the point in consuming food without taste. At this point I purchased another cocktail, I had the French Martini and a Mojito - these, in all fairness, were delicious.

We all finished our meals at varying times with my friend at least 15 minutes behind the other two of us; once we had all finished I again stacked our plates. Again, we had no member of staff clear them and I had to go inside to request they be taken away.

I walked into the restaurant and spoke to a young man who soon after arrived to clear the items. I let them know that we had desserts from the 3 course meal to come and if they could bring them as soon as they are ready.

Another half an hour passed and they were yet to arrive, again, I walked into the restaurant and spoke to a young woman with long icy blonde hair tied up in a pony tail. I told her that we were sat outside and had ordered desserts, we had been waiting a while and would like them out as soon as possible please. The weirdest thing happened at this point, the young woman stared at me, in silence for around 30 seconds, looking me up and down. I then asked her if she was ok, to which she replied yes she was, am I? I said no, we are yet to receive our desserts and would like them as soon as possible. She then told me that they don't give table service outside - (what am I supposed to help myself to my coffee from the machine? my icecream from their freezer?) I told her I was aware of this and we had ordered at the bar over an hour ago and had already made a member of staff aware of us finishing our mains. She walked away without saying a word and I went to the bar to get some more drinks. At this point I heard the staff having a discussion about us, nothing particularly negative but the level of knowledge they each had of our table suggested that they were either very good at their jobs and communicating well, or, there had been a discussion about us as previously mentioned. The fact that the service was so poor and full of errors suggested it to be the latter!

Desserts finally arrived and shock- they had brought the wrong ones out. my friend had ordered the sticky toffee and a brownie arrived, we told the waiter that it was wrong but couldn't be bothered to wait around any longer for them to change it, we just wanted to move on at this point. I had the lemon and clotted cream tart - it was ok, nothing to rave about.

All in all, a bad experience. The food and the poor timing could have been saved by good service but the rudeness and ignorance of the staff was absolutely appalling. I have worked as a waitress before and indeed have encountered unpleasant guests, but even then, I would not have dared to make them feel as uncomfortable and awkward as the staff made us feel.

I will not be recommending this place to any of my friends, family and colleagues - while the choices in Aylesbury may be limited, I am sure that I could either branch further out, or, put up with medium quality food with better, more welcoming service.

2  Thank Holly D
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter Steakhouse - Aylesbury Vale, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Holly D, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience. We are disappointed to hear that you are not satisfied with your visit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My brother and I took my dad here for Father's Day dinner and we weren't disappointed. All of the dishes we had were excellent quality and cooked very well. The majority of the team were very hospitable and made us feel very welcome. The only downside is that once we had been given the bill, we were left to sit there for a further twenty minutes before another waiter passed the table who we could ask about being able to pay. Apart from this, it was a flawless visit and will definitely be visiting again in the future!

Josh1002, we are so happy to read such a great review about Miller & Carter Aylesbury!