All reviews common room big kitchen bed dorm ping pong table free earplugs central location enjoyed my stay facilities beds lock gig pounds
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Very cost effective place to stay. Great for travellers and those on a budget. You even get breakfast in the morning. I would suggest ear plugs if you are staying at the weekend as there is a club downstairs that goes on to 3am. Friendly staff. TV room. Recommended. Plenty of space to unwind.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

IF YOUR ROOM IS ON THE GROUND FLOOR AND YOU NEED TO SLEEP BEFORE 4AM, FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY!!

The hostel has a nightclub directly beneath it and the rooms on the first two floors collect all of the bass tones. In case you can't imagine what that's like, it's worse than simply sleeping in the night club itself! The whole room vibrates, your bed vibrates, your eardrums vibrate. Even with earplugs in, you cannot escape the bass!

They didn't warn us of this AT ANY POINT. Normally I'd just go enjoy the club and sleep when it finished, but tomorrow I have to be up at 7am and then drive 480 miles. It's impossible to sleep, so I'm simply leaving 1 star reviews on every site I can find until the music stops, in the hope that I can save someone else from this hell.

Other than that, the beds are decent for the price, the communal facilities are okay for the price, and the location is perfect for exploring the city.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

So overall it was nicer than i expected. The staff were nice the rooms were clean and everyone respected everyone. The cons however is that it is very loud, both from the communal areas and from the club below. The only plugs i found were also at tge very bottom of the wall so i couldnt charge my phone during the night since i was at the top bed.(minor issues) Overall, i had a comfortable sleep and would be staying there again!

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Rock N Bowl for one night (last night). I have stayed in many hostels so knew not to expect too much. I was almost willing to overlook the black mould on the walls and ceilings, the fact that no pillow was included with my bedding, the lack of a fan or air conditioning in the dorm room, the loud music that kept me awake & made the beds shake until 3am on a Tuesday night, and the freezing cold showers.

However, last night I found myself needing the toilet in the middle of the night. A man in the same room (whom I had had no previous interaction with aside from a polite ‘hello’) followed me out of the dorm. I was scared to go to the ladies’ toilets downstairs as I didn’t want to be trapped on the staircase with this man, so I went into the women’s shower room (3 doors down from the dorm) and pretended to shower, hoping that by the time I got out, the man would have gone.

When I thought the coast was clear, I stepped out of the shower cubicle. The women’s shower room has a laundry area tucked away by the door. As I went to exit the room, I saw the man hiding in the dark in the laundry area. He had snuck into the ladies shower room and hid and waited for me to get out of the shower. I screamed & he apologised. I ran straight back to the dorm & climbed into bed. My bed was the far end of the room by the window & the man’s bed was near the door. I didn’t sleep at all, partially because (as I previously mentioned) I had no pillow & there was loud music blaring until 3am, but also because I was terrified of this man who was now sleeping in the same room as me, albeit with 10 other people.

This morning, I mentioned what had happened to the man at reception. Initially, he was horrified & seemed very sympathetic, but he quickly changed his tune and became defensive. He said “well I’m sorry this happened to you but you know we can’t do anything about it, right? If no one else saw, it will be your word against his & of course he will deny it so we’ll just have to leave it.” Then he told me that the hostel is a very safe place and that nothing like this had ever happened before in all the years he’d worked there. He even went as far as to suggest that maybe there was a reasonable explanation and that the man wasn’t stalking me. Not only did I feel insulted, but by refusing to investigate, the hostel staff are potentially putting future female guests in danger. I personally think the man didn’t care because I was checking out when I made the complaint.

I would advise people to stay away from this hostel - especially solo woman travellers.

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

Upon arrival I cried... I've stayed in hostels all over Europe, some as cheap as 7 euros a night, I've ,however, never stayed in one as horrific as this one. There are no lockers, the beds are metal frames with old sunken in matrasses and the staff hardly speaks english. I've tried multiple times to find out how the WiFi works, to find no one at the "24-hour" reception. The sanitary facilities are old, broken and only get cleaned once a day, while the toilets don't even properly flush. The public areas filthy, outdated and loud. The kitchen is disgusting, it smells like mold and I couldn't eat the free breakfast anymore after seeing the pile of moldy sponges and brushes used to "clean" the dishes. I did manage to get some sleep after recieving some earplugs, which I guess is to some enough to justify the rest, but not to me. Extremely dissappointed, I feel ripped off.