Haunted and Hidden Bristol Walking Tour
Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Loved it

It's just right for anybody interested in Bristol because of a variety of subjects not just... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Tom_Walmsley
Bristol, United Kingdom
via mobile
Private Tour

I contacted John on a Thursday to ask if he would be able to book a private tour for my husband and... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Joanna111286
Austin, Texas

All reviews ghost walk ghost stories thanks john film locations interesting anecdotes great fun knowledge information pace gems insight
Reviewed 25 June 2018

I have never previously left a review but feel compelled to do so following my surprise weekend away by my friends, whereby they purchased this tour presumably knowing my love of history. I've done the York ghost tour which was superb and I was expecting something similar. Sadly this tour was a complete disappointment.
The tour guide seemed a nice enough fellow, but turned up in a dirty t-shirt (the York guide got into character by dressing in top hat and tails), plus he doesn't have the charisma to hold you enthralled and tell a story with a 'ghostly' suspenseful ending - he just delivers the words bluntly and quickly. He throws in lots of lame Bristol jokes and waits for your laughter, I felt they were unnecessary but presumably this warms customers to him? A lot of detail on famous people and where they stayed, did, ate, etc which didn't interest me at all. Plus the 'ghostly' stories weren't that interesting either, his delivery just isn't right plus you can hardly hear the words - it just didn't work for me - so apologies to the guide and to my friends but this was truly an awful haunted/ghost tour.

2  Thank lizzytinny
Searly208, Owner at Haunted and Hidden Bristol Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

The walk has always been advertised as Haunted and Hidden Bristol...a combination of haunted buildings, film locations & celebrity
tales and not just a Ghost Walk.

The reason I don't dress up like the York tour you mentioned is that Central Bristol on a Friday night is slightly different in many ways
to that of York, Bath and other smaller Cities and I have tried in the past dressing up each week I stopped due to the occasional problem with other groups passing through town being a little disruptive towards the group and myself when at certain locations.

The Bristol related famous people parts if the walk ie Cary Grant, Eddie Cochrane, Paul McCartney have always been in the tour since it started over 10 years ago and many people are interested in this part but I understand that you and others may not be.

I am sorry if you didn't enjoy the injected humour which is there to make it a less serious night and an icebreaker really, as we walk around.

I will look at my future delivery as you've suggested (thank you) and I am very sorry that you expected just a total ghost walk and not a tour combining many subjects as per my website.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

We did 2 walking tours whilst in Bristol, this was the first one on our first night in Bristol. You do need to contact the organiser but there is no need to book in advance. The fee is only £5, starting at 8pm (have an early dinner). The guide is very polite and personable and gives a different perspective on Bristol. We loved hearing the ghost stories and walking around the city at night. Bristol is full of history and great stories. The downside are the locals who must have seen groups of people on a walk but can’t help but heckle. If it happens to you, ignore them!

3  Thank Whitehalltraveller
Searly208, Owner at Haunted and Hidden Bristol Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Thank you for the very kind words and taking the trouble to comment. It’s really appreciated. That weekend myself and other guides had the same issues. The warm weather I guess effects afew people that were in town ! .

Reviewed 5 May 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed the tour! My girlfriend and I are just visiting the city and it was a great way to see the place and learn some interesting things about Bristol! John was great and recommended some places to visit and things to do. Great tour guide and great bloke!

4  Thank Will G
Searly208, Owner at Haunted and Hidden Bristol Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2018

Thank you for taking the trouble to write
It’s really appreciated, thank you
Good luck with the Bristol Bridge venture too. Sincere thanks again

Reviewed 28 April 2018

Excellent value for money, thoroughly enjoyed this tour, John was a great guide, very knowledgable and with a great sense of humour. Thank you.

3  Thank sandragammon
Searly208, Owner at Haunted and Hidden Bristol Walking Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Massive thanks for your kind words and comments .

Reviewed 28 April 2018

Loved it. To learn of what lurks beneath our pavements is a wonderful thing. Makes you love Bristol and its special quality even more. Lived here for years and now when i walk past All Saints Church on Corn Street i dont just see an old building, i imagine how it was when Henry VIII 's army stormed in and killed the monks. Also makes a visit to hideous Primark a little more interesting.
Just the right price and length of time.
thanks to John for his knowledge and passion.

3  Thank l0uiebr0wn

Thank you so much for your very kind words and taking the trouble to write, it’s greatly appreciated. Thank you