“Such a beautiful cottage”
Classic local architecture; the building dates from 1560.
Welcome to White Sheep....come on in and have a look The lovely West and South facing terrace surrounded by lavender roses and wisteria
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Welcome to White Sheep....come on in and have a look
The sitting room seen from the garden
The sunny terrace
Sitting room opens on to the terrace
Gorgeous eat-in kitchen with inglenook fireplace, walk-in larder and all conceivable appliances
The dining room...low ceilinged, intimate, perfect for a special lunch or dinner
The comfy and sunny sitting room
.....with French windows to the terrace
An amazing curved oak wall between the hall and the kitchen
The West bedroom
The cute and cosy cabin-like twin....children adore it....but its comfy for adults too!
Chocolate-y highlights in the bright East bedroom
Even the bath and shower rooms have fabulous beams
Ground floor family bathroom with double-ended tub
The natural pond, a haven for wildlife
The charming old barn
Relax by the pond....
The Pictorial Meadow, a riot of colour May to November
The wildflower meadow
Apple blossom time....there are cherries, figs and all kinds of herbs too....help yourself!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Deeply disappointed”
Reviewed 4 June 2016 for a stay in May 2016
people found this review helpful

I have just come back from a weeks stay at White Sheep Cottage and was appalled at what I found.
The en suite bathrooms were dirty and in need of a deep clean. My en suite had a badly stained lavatory bowl, pubic hairs in between the hinged seat and cistern along with dirt. Around the cistern it was thick with dust and had not been cleaned in a long time. The shower was grubby and the metal shower holder to put our washing ablutions in was rusty and sticky. There was a large off white plastic box next to the shower that had pubic hairs on the lid and was dirty and dusty.

The kitchen surfaces were greasy and had not been cleaned properly along with the toaster and kettle and sink. The chairs were covered in dirt, hairs and crumbs. The cutlery and china were dirty and in need of a wash. Drawers were full of the owners property and dirty and stained. There was no real space for us to put our own food as much of the space was already being used by the owner including a full draw of a 2 draw freezer with "Susies Treats" written on it. The window sill had dead flies and spiders on it and the window themselves was thick with cobwebs. Under the sofa again thick with dirt and cobwebs was a random picture and cat biscuits.
The lounge was again full of cobwebs and stuffed behind the settees were cushions covered in cobwebs along with discarded blind boxes and random jelly babies.
Outside the garden had a rusty sharp dangerous iron bistro set and an overgrown "meadow". Also the hideous eyesore of what appears to be the owners abandoned car filled with old paint pots,tool and other rubbish.
Within hours of arriving we contacted the owner by email voicing our concerns and even sending some photographic evidence. Our concerns were not taking seriously and it was even suggested we "don rubber gloves and give it a swift wipe"???
3 days into the holiday a cleaner arrived to tackle the issues but had only been given 90 minutes to clean. Interestingly she had never been to the property before and had been hired to start the day we were due to leave which begs the question who has been cleaning this property? One does wonder especially as it is full of the owners personal stuff and a week prior to going she had emailed asking if we would care to "cat sit" her 2 cats??
After the 90 minute clean unfortunately it was not in a much better state so we contacted the Best of Suffolk who we booked through and they sent a representative to inspect the premises. Lots of photographic evidence was taken and as a result of what they saw they did their utmost to gain what they felt was justified compensation for us from the owner but to no avail.(They are in discussions with her regarding their own future with her as a result of what they witnessed as they feel immediate improvements need to be instigated).
At no time has the owner shown any remorse or accepted any responsibility for the filthy dirty cottage we had to endure but has the absolute cheek to expect us to pay £850 (take out whatever the booking fee is) and £100 good housekeeping.
I am posting 10 photographs (all I am allowed) to back up all I have written and I would be very interested to know how the owner Sue Gazzard can justify taking this amount of money without any qualms.But offer us 15 per cent discount if we return, something she does to all her guests.
Mark U reviewed this cottage 3/10/2013 for stay in August 2013 and I rest my case but look at the dismissive response from the owner.I find it amazing anyone could give this property 5 star.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
14 Jun 2016
I would be grateful if potential guests would read my detailed reply to the review posted as "Mrs" on 3 June as these are the same people reviewing a second time for the same visit. Trip Advisor, is that allowed?
Michelle...
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Mrs”
Reviewed 3 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

I have just returned from what can only be described as the holiday from hell......hell without even the most basic of health and safety or hygiene requirements. White Sheep cottage (marketed as bespoke,luxury by its agent Best of Suffolk) was a holiday my whole family had longed for. After a short illness with cancer i sadly (but not unexpectedly) lost my mother and the day after her funeral we travelled with heavy hearts but full of hope and expectation to the destination that would help us reflect and (to some small degree) repair. I had felt sime slight hesitation when the week prior the owner had requested we cat sit but we ploded on regardless......On arrival we were greeted by a very small car parking space dominated by the owners own vehicle that looked like a portable shed, full of dirt, debris and cleaning products. On entry to the property we all had a chuckle at the 12 inch TV provided (yes you don't go on holiday to watch TV but relaxing in the evening to a film can be nice.....if the tv is large enough to be viewed by all.....The dvd players remote looked like a hungry guest had taken a liking to the buttons (no doubt to avoid cooking in the kitchen.....I regress) as it was barely operable buy these are minor irritations compared to the horror that was to come..... quite frankly having stayed in many holiday cottages I have never seen such a dirty unkempt hovel as white sheep cottage. As my photos will confirm there were cobwebs and spiders abound in each and every corner (like appearing in arachnophobia) but this was a pleasent distraction from the dirt,debris,grime and grease on every other surface downstairs. There are not enough adjectives to convey the filth but my photos should demonstrate what we had to contend with. More horror awaited us upstairs, pubic hairs, faeces and urine stains are my personal highlights from the "luxury " ensuites....The owners belongings and clutter taking up numerous spare spaces were a mere irritation in comparison (though losing half a freezer to "Susies" treats was not what we bargained for)......The place was full of clutter and dirt. I immediately contacted the owner and politely suggested the cleaners weren't fulfilling there obligations, to which I received a barage of disbelief and abuse. Even photographs were mocked and it was suggested I "Don the rubber gloves"......luxury.....????? We implored the owner to hire a cleaner which was eventually sent for 90 mins, the poor lady barely had time to scratch the surface as the ensuites remained disgustingly grimy (though she did remove the scum filled tooth brush holder from my ensuite, clean it and refill it with salt......??!!!!). We received a visit from a best of suffolk representative who agreed the property was rank and implored the miserly, rude owner to reimburse us for the inconvenience, they themselves received a barrage of abuse for their trouble and are investigating further. The fire extinguisher was inaccessible and out of date, the furniture in the "gravel garden" (hahahaha) was rusty and dangerous, a radox bottle and rusty garden features enhanced the experience and the teak furniture saw it's best days 5 years ago. A deep clean would certainly help but the place is tired,filthy and run down, the owner clearly doesn't care a jot about her paying guests and we are seeking independent legal advice to gain compensation for the ordeal....We were "generously" offered 15% discount on a return visit for our trouble but a quick survey of the reviews here suggests that's offered to all returning guests......not that we shall be returning. The grot was forgivable (or would have been had it been rectified ) but the disgusting way in which the owner mocked my anxiety at the situation and refused to help a horrible situation is unforgivable. Avoid at all costs! Please see my numerous photos (though im only allowed 10) the delight we endured!

13 Jun 2016
I hope potential guests will forgive the length of this reply and read through to the end. It is a measure of how seriously I take my guests comfort and safety. At the end I hope you will realise that and that I might have the opportunity of welcoming you to a house and garden which have given so much pleasure to so many people since the restoration was finished and the house opened to paying guests in 2009.

During the few weeks immediately prior to the stay by Mrs Duncan, her in-laws and two children White Sheep hosted three sets of very happy guests, all of whom left or sent charming messages about how much they had enjoyed their stay - in the guest book, by email, and in the case of Mr Bennett, here on Trip Advisor.

The last set of guests had left on May 16. On May 17 I interviewed the cleaner referred to in both of the 1* reviews placed here (they are from the same party, though I gather that on Facebook they have also had a review placed by someone who did not stay at White Sheep). I had not yet commenced turnaround. Nonetheless, whilst looking over the property in fine detail, she commented that there was little to do beyond changing linen and vacuuming, the place was already so clean and tidy. I did not expect to need her services until after the Duncan party had departed. Unable to account satisfactorily for what she did at the cottage for three hours whilst the Duncan party were in residence, she is no longer on board.

Intending to spend the night of 26 May at the cottage I personally cleaned and prepped all but one bedroom/ensuite and the eat-in kitchen, i.e two bedrooms, one ensuite, landing, stairs, hall, porch, utility, downstairs bathroom, dining room and sitting room.

Events at home conspired to prevent me driving to Suffolk as planned on 26 May. Instead I drove up on the morning of the 27. A kind friend stepped in to prep the final rooms and vacuum through, whilst I spent 5 hours on the garden.

I was en route back to London when I received a text and then an email from the Duncan party who had just arrived, including half a dozen photographs of cleaning issues they were unhappy about. I replied politely that I was travelling, unable to see what the photos were of on the small screen of a Blackberry, but would respond when I reached home and had access to an iPad. Increasingly irate text messages demanded to know exactly when that would be, but as anyone who has ever driven in or out of London on a Friday night will know, that's not easy to predict.....

On arriving home and looking at the pictures I sent the following email to the guests. I reproduce it here in its entirety.

"Thank you for sending me the photos relating to aspects of the cleanliness of White Sheep Cottage with which you were unhappy.

Running through your photos in order of perceived importance:

1) Housekeeping are profoundly sorry that they missed one of the lavatories - its only a two minute job, so no excuse except that as you know they were under stress today - as there are cleaning products provided so that in the course of a stay guests can attend to everyday requirements would you be happy to don rubber gloves (drawer under the sink) and give it a swift wipe or would you like me to get someone in? My apologies for the inconvenience either way.

2) I am to blame for the crumbs on the seat, as I asked them to check and empty the toast crumb trays after everything was finished - the "final bits" rubbish bag was on that very chair and I can imagine how some crumbs escaped in their haste to finish. Sorry!

3) Inside the kitchen cupboard - apologies - they don't have time to check every cupboard at every turnaround. Once again it is a 10 second wipe job, up to you if you want me to get someone in?

4) Spiders and cobwebs - the house dates from 1560, is heavily beamed and is in the middle of the countryside. Especially at this time of year spiders and cobwebs can appear in the blink of an eye and it would take hours every turnaround to scour the whole building for them. Even then, you can de-cobweb and 10 minutes later find another one. If coming from a relatively urban environment it can be a surprise to suddenly encounter uninvited nature in the home, so whilst we do our absolute best, apologies but this is not something we can do much about.

5) The bin - had obviously been emptied, looks like a bit of thread stuck to the base that didn't come out on emptying. Sincere apologies!

Whilst writing this I am reminded that I wanted to write a note about the garden, which has been profoundly affected by the weather this year. The warm wet Autumn/Winter followed by a bitterly cold Spring affected us in many ways: much of the lavender suffered die-back; early Spring regrowth was then lost to the numerous and deep late frosts; in the flowering meadow areas weed growth (which must be allowed to emerge and be treated before the annual flowering meadow can be sown) was hugely late, impacting on sowing and therefore on the stage the meadows are now at. Usually by end May they are a glorious display of poppies, cornflowers, and the like - not this year! Conversely bluebells were early and are over, and the first roses and foxgloves are late - crazy times.

There is still plenty in the garden (and indeed in the house) to enjoy - the pond is in very good fettle, clematis, herbs, peonies, catmint, windowboxes, bergenia, native hedges all looking gorgeous. Mock orange outside the kitchen window should flower during your stay, and I suspect the first of Rosa Gertrude Jekyll in the long front border...

I hope you are over your initial disappointment re some small cleaning matters and are settling in and getting to know the many joyful aspects of White Sheep Cottage and from tomorrow all the lovely places to explore in the vicinity. I am so glad for you that you didn't suffer the traffic I saw heading for Suffolk when I was on my way back to town!

Wishing you a very good holiday. By way of recompense for the unacceptable failure to clean the lavatory I would like to offer you a goodwill gesture of 15% off a return visit to White Sheep when booked direct.

Kind Regards

Sue"

This was the reply:

"Thank you for your response. It was not one but ALL toilets faeces and pubic hair, it was not one chair but ALL chairs again human hairs on the chairs, the toaster was filthy and greasy, the plugs are disgustingly greasy in the kitchen. Every surface is dusty/covered in debris. The washing machine drawer is frankly appalling. I sent 5 photos but this was a small selection we have many more. I have my own self catering apartment and understand the hazard of outside cleaning, and yes whilst some cobwebs and spiders can appear this extent is from a long period, I have also stayed in many properties in the countryside so my expectations are in line with what is reasonable. Genuinely everything is grubby and dusty. There is a box under the bathmat in my ensuite which is filthy. There is dust and debris on every surface. The whole place needs a thorough deep clean and I would appreciate this being arranged as soon as possible. I am thoroughly dissapointed."

Knowing very well that, with the possible exception of the washing machine detergent drawer which we don't use, none of this was true, I replied as follows:

"Dear Michelle

I was there at White Sheep yesterday, gardening whilst housekeeping was underway. It had a normal 3 hour turnaround, was vaccumed, kitchen and surfaces cleaned, bins emptied, bathrooms cleaned (one loo missed it seems), soap and loo paper replaced, linen changed, terrace swept, furniture, cushions and objects arranged correctly, garden attended to. The house is not filthy and in need of a deep clean - it had one only a few weeks ago. It is perfectly respectable, with a possible couple of glitches for which I have already apologised and offered solutions.

If it were me I would give a couple of things the quick wipe which is all that is necessary. The accusations in your most recent email are untrue and profoundly and absolutely denied - apart from perhaps the washing machine drawer which I confess I haven't looked at in a long time - we use ecoballs for lightly soiled loads and individual sachets for heavily soiled items both of which go directly into the drum. I am deeply sorry that this is something you are stressing over on holiday.

I was somewhat surprised by your messages from the outset but of course ready to give considered replies, which I did, as soon as possible. Not many people would consider the odd bit of dust and crumbs (already explained and apologised for) capable of causing you all to be (I quote) "extremely anxious". I assume you have already sent the "worst" photos to me - why would you not? - so have nothing to fear from any genuine further photos. I have every confidence in my house. Its a beautiful house in a beautiful garden. Everybody loves it, as the Guest Book and my 5* review status on Trip Advisor testifies.

However I want you to be happy. Whilst not accepting that the house needs the deep clean alleged, if you would send me a list and photograph of every item which offends you I wiIl get someone in to deal with them as soon as humanly possible.

Best Wishes

Sue

When the further photos came several days later they were via Best of Suffolk. They showed a slight wet mark where a soap dispenser had been placed on a washbasin after the basin had been cleaned, a very small mark in the bottom of a storage container; the herb and spice drawer was slightly untidy; the toaster had a few crumbs on it; the lip of the kettle showed two small drip marks; there was a small group of harmless field spiders tucked away behind a beam in the downstairs bathroom; the tea towel had been used and there was a fingerprint mark on the side of the cupboard above it (bear in mind that the guests had been in residence for several days by now)... and there were two more photographs of a lavatory. I don't recognise the fittings in one of them, and need to be there myself to check that this is one of the three loos at Sheep, which I cannot do until I return from my (very much ruined) holiday. The other is not dirt but lime scale, which we fight a constant battle against in that part of Suffolk. In almost all areas we win, but under the rim at the front of this particular loo is a challenge. Viakal Extra is employed regularly. I apologise profusely however and admire the contortionist who managed to get that picture....

I will move on now to comment on various other issues raised in the reviews posted by Mrs Duncan and her friends.

1) I did indeed ask Mrs Duncan if they would like to have my cats, Lily and Bobby, as many people love having them and indeed some repeat guests ask to come back when their company is possible. I am absolutely bemused by the disgust this query seems to have created as her reply was that they would love to, the children would love it, but that her father-in-law is allergic to cats. Here is her email, after which I commiserated but said it was no problem and in fact their Uncle Michio, the Japanese cat whisperer, would love the chance to look after them in London...

"Hello Sue,
Thank you for your email. I'm so sorry I love cats (and have one of my own) but my father in law is allergic. Such a shame as my children would have loved having them around :(

Sorry again

Michelle

2) The car is not derelict or anything like it. It is a venerable 17 years old Mercedes estate which I use for my gardens and property businesses. It is tucked to one side of the very generous drive and parking area, leaving 2/3 off-road parking spaces available to guests. Most village houses offer no off-street parking whatever.

3) I keep one of three drawers in the freezer and the top shelf of the walk-in larder for my own provisions. I think this is reasonable. Elsewhere I store the few personal belongings I keep there away in locked trunks and hidden drawers. I also think that is reasonable. It is my house after all. They in no way intrude on a guests enjoyment of the property which is in fact remarkably clutter-free. Otherwise as a courtesy to my guests I supply tea, coffee, two kinds of sugar, biscuits, flour, good quality olive oil and balsamic, wine vinegar, ketchup and other sauces, pasta, rice, many dried herbs and spices as well as those in the herb garden, access to the Haribo tin, good quality wine and other Sheepie treats. There are also many books, magazines, DVDs, games. I make no apology for the size of the TV.

4) The "rusty and dangerous" furniture in the gravel garden is in fact faux-vintage sourced from a very smart company at Chelsea Flower Show. The teak furniture is naturally weathered - in my opinion so much smarter than varnish.

5) My earlier emails dealt extensively with the gardens, which are my pride and joy and bring great pleasure to many people. They offer both groomed areas close to the building and wilder but carefully managed areas which are a haven for wildlife.

6) The involvement in and attitude of The agent in this one is interesting. I have never been prepared to let them control my keys, my cleaners or my business, which they don't like. As they send me only four to six sets of guests a year and subject me to such things as demands that I accept a 20% reduction last minute when guests decide they don't want to come for a full week, cancelling the booking without any compensation to me when I quite reasonably refuse, I don't see why I should. As to the "filthy state of the property, health and safety issues" and so on, apparently concurred in by the agent's employee, absolutely no-one has been able to come up with any evidence of such. Moreover the cleaner has stated that she agreed with them " to appease the guests"......

7) Fire safety. Smoking is prohibited at White Sheep Cottage and guests are asked only to use candles provided in the correct holders. Otherwise it is a house with very low fire risk, being all-electric and wired from scratch only 8 years ago. Nonetheless a fire assessment is carried out annually and a fire extinguisher and fire blanket are provided, together with first aid kit, tool kit, and so on. However this is as a courtesy to guests - it is not a legal requirement. The guest information folder explains where this equipment can be found. I am unsure what the problem is of the extinguisher being in its cardboard box - this simply helps to stop it from being knocked over by accident.

8) Other issues: the "Radox Bottle" found in the garden is in fact liquid soap left as a courtesy by the outside tap so that guests can wash their hands there whilst bbq-ing etc; the cushions behind the sofa are for the outdoor furniture, it's a convenient place to store them; the "empty blind boxes" behind the other sofa were not empty on Friday! They contained two navy blinds to go with the new rug which was also out of the way behind the sofa awaiting the changeover to a navy scheme.....in the kitchen yes, there is a picture under the sofa. I haven't decided where to put it yet.

8) The Duncan party of 6 paid £847 for a peak week at White Sheep Cottage. That amounts to £20.16 per person per night, which would not begin to buy a basic room in a B&B. Without my concurrence but to my cost they have since been given £200 back by the agent, reducing this to £15.40 per person per night. Please visit the White Sheep Cottage page on Trip Advisor to see for yourself all that they got for that price.
katie b
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Such a beautiful cottage”
Reviewed 21 April 2016 for a stay in March 2016

My partner and I have been lucky enough to stay in this wonderful cottage several times. We love everything about white sheep cottage. With the modern yet authentic kitchen, the extremely comfortable beds and the large picturesque gardens, it is a beautiful cottage with immense character. Set in the quaint village of Peasenhall, the cottage is equipped with everything you could possibly need. We enjoyed visiting the nearby Pier at Southwold and walks around the surrounding countryside. However, we also enjoyed playing Monopoly and watching the DVD’s provided when the weather wasn’t as appealing. We look forward to our next stay!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location and interior design
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
5 May 2016
Thank you for your lovely review, look forward to welcoming you back!
horn885
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic stay”
Reviewed 8 March 2016 for a stay in February 2016

This was our second visit to White Sheep Cottage and as delightful as our first in November 2015. The cottage is really convenient for the Suffolk coast and we enjoyed lovely walks and a good pub lunch nearby.

Not only is White Sheep Cottage immaculately presented, cosy and comfortable, it's everything you would expect from a period Suffolk cottage.

The taste and style of the proprietor is very high and we would thoroughly recommend a stay here. In fact our next visit is already planned for this summer.

10 Mar 2016
Good to have you back guys...there should be a Good Guest Guide for owners to post in! On the other hand, all the other owners might then use it to lure away my lovely guests....hmmmmmm!
rfitzs201...
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Cosy Christmas Retreat”
Reviewed 17 January 2016 for a stay in December 2015
person found this review helpful

We stayed here (2 adults, 3 teenagers) over the Christmas period and had a fabulous time, very different to how we normally spend Christmas. The cottage is comfortable, warm and stocked with everything you could want. The layout of the cottage is excellent - the kitchen is huge, great for involving everyone in cooking and conducive to sitting and chatting over wine! The dining room made our Christmas dinner a special event and next to the dining room was a comfy sitting room, great for relaxing and playing games after dinner. The cottage is well thought and laid out. The two double bedrooms both had en-suite shower rooms, beds were very comfortable.

There was an array of books, from long novels to keep you occupied, children's books and guide books for the area, which came in handy when planning days out.

As we were there over the Christmas period all the shops in Peasenhall were closed, so I can't comment on the village. We went for a few walks around the local area and further afield to towns around. White Sheep Cottage is in a great location, a short drive to many of the lovely places Suffolk has to offer.

We had a very different Christmas to normal and it was perfect, thank you Sue for sharing your beautiful cottage with us.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
18 Jan 2016
Thank you Roisin for your lovely review, so glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope you'll come back again, maybe in the summer when you can enjoy the garden as well as the house.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$159
Night
Week
Make Enquiry
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing