“Walk-in Camping Solo with my kids!”

Porteau Cove Provincial Park
Ranked #6 of 28 things to do in Squamish
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

We went for 2 nights mid-week the last week of August and it was awesome! I checked the site daily hoping for a cancellation and when a walk-in site came up I jumped on it and repacked our camping supplies to make it easier! My husband's holidays had been cancelled by his work and this was my first time taking our 2 kids (5 and 8) camping by myself.
They were super helpers with the wheelbarrows and wagon, the staff were very friendly and informative and everyone stopped to pet/greet our dog lol.
Beach front camping was amazing and when I asked my son if it was worth all the work he just shrugged and said "it wasn't that hard!"
When the tide goes out the lagoon empties and is great for exploring.
The first night we had to make a pitstop at the outhouse for my daughter on our way to get a wheelbarrow and when we got back there was a raccoon that had knocked over our food bin I chased him away and we hurried our food and cooler to the truck!
There is a covered area with communal picnic tables with 2 big sinks and 2 electrical outlets with a big counter. Perfect for inflating air mattresses or charging phones while you wash your dishes! Walk-in sites only have a wooden bench.
Awesome view, sites are very close together with little privacy but I saw some creatively hung tarps to help with that and honestly, the view/being ocean front made up for that.

All reviews
"pit stop"
"stretch your legs"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Stop take some pictures of the mountains by the water, After driving through Vancouver great 1st stopping point on the way to Whistler

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Fantastic pit stop en-route to Whistler. Clean washrooms and great place to stretch your legs. Nice scenic vistas of Howe Sound and the surrounding mountains.

Provincial park has camping, picnic tables and dive area.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

We decided to visit on a whim, on our way to Vancouver.

It was recommended by a couple we met in Whistler.

Arrived mid afternoon and had lots of fun!

Tide was coming in, but we were still able to swim, search for creatures (crabs, fish & clams) and the water wasn’t too cold!

We enjoyed walking on the pier and reading about some of the local wildlife on the sign displays.

Would love to come back in a warm day and snorkel :)

Oh and it’s FREE!!