Review Highlights
Only for the Fit

This is 5% longer than the Grouse Grind, Steeper on the first half. This is not for the wana get... read more

Reviewed 1 August 2018
Preston T
Vancouver, Canada
EXPERT LEVEL

Holy Moly - IF I'd known how hard this was going to be I would have NEVER done it. That being said... read more

Reviewed 28 June 2018
Katy A
Fort Worth, Texas

All reviews closed for maintenance beautiful scenery grouse grind grouse mountain roots rocks forest gondola vancouver
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

On a total whim we had hopes of doing the Grind but it was still closed so we tackled the BCMC trail instead.
It’s a relatively challenging trail with tree roots and rocks to navigate on slopes from 15-30 degrees, so in places it’s a tough uphill slog!
We did it with lots of breaks and still managed 1.5hrs which given I walk daily but am not super fit was a great achievement.

It’s not suitable for beginners or unfit people.

I’ll be honest, there were a few times I would have given up but fear of the mosquitoes kept me moving (note - take and use bug spray!!). The mozzies are big enough you could harness a few and get a ride up the hill from them!

There was still a bit of snow at the top, which was refreshing.

We had a great wander round the top of the mountain and had a beer while checking out the view to Mt Rainier.

We caught the cable car down which was crowded and pricey at $15 each but we didn’t have enough time left to get down again (and to be honest I’d want proper hiking boots and maybe a walking pole to go down it).

Personally it’s one of the most challenging hikes I’ve done but so worth it to say I’ve hiked up Grouse Mountain

Reviewed 22 June 2018

This trail is longer than the Grind, has less stairs, and is really challenging, especially if you're a beginner. I don't hike at all so I think I would qualify as a beginner.
- I found the hand and footholds were not easy to find
- it was easy to lose the path, or take the long way because the short way i.e. the path is just not easily marked
- I felt like I was doing a lot of climbing, and I got ridiculously dirty because it was so dusty and I was on my hands and knees trying to make my way up this trail
- There's no place to take a break or really see any kind of view along the way
- You have no idea where on the trail you are and how much further it is
- The last part of the trail was covered in snow, and then it just became a mini river with rocks.. not really a trail at all.
- It's steep so if you're afraid of looking downhill, I'd beware. In addition, there are no railings, ropes, guard rails, walls, or anything to keep you from falling down the mountain
- Oh the worst part was the bugs - I couldn't tell if they were mosquitoes but they were small buzzing flying insects who were in my face the entire last half of the hike. It's like they just wanted to surround me for no other reason except to smell me.

It's a good work out, and I'd do it again only to try and beat my time. But for someone like me, it wasn't enjoyable at all and having seen the view from Grouse mountain before, I just wanted to go home and shower right after.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

My husband and I decided to climb this trail with our daughter. The Grouse Grind was undergoing maintenance. We are in our 50's and in decent shape and it took us about 1.5 hours with several breaks. Our daughter (who is in her 20's and in very good shape) easily scrambled up the trail, which was rocky and covered in roots but decently maintained. The trail has beautiful scenery of the BC forest. There are no steep drop-offs, so it's a good trail for people with any height phobias. Arriving at the top of Grouse Mountain offers great views of the city. Amenities at the top are decent, with a variety of cafeteria food. Bring layers of clothing, since the temperature can be quite cool at the bottom and at the very top (when it gets windy). Due to time constraints, we paid $15 each to take the gondola down. Overall, a wonderful family activity for a fit family!

Reviewed 9 June 2018

We were a party of 3 in our late 30 early 40's, 2 of us work out regularly, 1 does not. The two of us that were in shape went to do the Grouse Grind, but it was closed for maintenance. When our 3rd found out we were going to do the BCMC instead, he decided to join us. It took us just under 2 hrs, but we took lots of breaks. I think the two of us that trained for the Grind could of done it in about 90 min, but we were so excited that the third joined us, we didn't mind taking breaks for him. It is really a pretty steep incline for the whole trail, as long as you pace yourself, it's totally doable. We did it in June and it was about 60 degrees at the bottom and 45 at the top, we wore layers that we took off during the hike, but we were all pretty sweaty by the top that we wish we would have packed some underware/bras and t-shirts, because it was so cold at the top and had sweaty wet clothes on, it was hard to warm up. But it was a great, challenging but not unattainable hike, that you're proud of the accomplishment when you get to the top!

1  Thank Mer S
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Looking for a great hike when we were in Vancouver, our first choice was the Grouse Grind. It was closed for maintenance and a friend suggested we try the BCMC. It starts from the same point as the Grind and the elevation gain of 853 m (2,800 feet) is the same, but the distance is slightly longer at 3 km (1 7/8 miles). The trail is a mix of steps, roots, rocks and obstacles but the direction is always up. Even with the Grind closed, it was not crowded and there was plenty of time to pause for a rest and to enjoy the view. The trail takes about 1.5 hours to hike and can be hiked both up and down. We took longer at about 2 hours, 20 minutes, not bad for a couple of 60 year olds.

1  Thank 17KAG