“Seafood pasta to die for!”

Olympia Cafe and Deli
Ranked #5 of 35 Restaurants in Kalk Bay
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours
Description: A favourite of locals and tourists, come and enjoy a meal or buy something from the bakery shop
Reviewed 30 December 2016

A friend who stays in Cape Town suggested we visit to try the seafood pasta. We listened and went the next day. It was to die for and large. Other persons had heard about the spot as there was a waiting list to be seated. Inside or out in the small garden type area you choose.

Reviewed 28 December 2016 via mobile

Great food, good position. Good reputation with the arty folk. I drink sparkling water, but got told the policy is to not sell water; it should be free, so only free tap water in a jug. So I must suffer so the owner can prove a point.....

Reviewed 28 December 2016

To all the reviewers complaining about the grungy appearance of this restaurant, please get over it! This is an authentic experience in a charming building in a part of Cape Town which hasn't changed much since I first visited and photographed 40 years ago.

An absolute 'must visit' on my annual trips to Cape Town for many years, i find myself holding my breath each time in the hope the food hasn't changed, and I have never been disappointed. The food is nothing short of amazing. Sure the kitchens are very old fashioned, but look closely and you will find they are very clean and very well managed. Yes the waiting staff are really busy, esecially in peak season, but their service is highly competent and friendly, far above average for SA.

This restaurant is an amazing exerience in fine dining, without the table cloths and silver service. An absolute must.

As a tip for peak season; allow an extra hour to drive to Kalk Bay. The traffic can be slower than walking speed. Aim to arrive for lunch by 12.00 noon at the latest. From then on a queue will form with your name written on the white board. Prior bookings aren't accepted. Allow plenty of time for a lingering meal, hopefully from a table where you can admire the harbour views. They offer corkage for R30, so take a great South African wine with you.

Our main-course-only meals for five people, including drinks, came to R800 including a well deserved generous tip. The portions were very generous - probably the best $AUD80 I have ever spent on a meal. I highly recommend the Linguini di Mare, possibly the best seafood pasta I have ever enjoyed. There seemed to be more seafood than pasta. I'm already looking forward to next year's visit.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

Well worth a visit to this little bakery in Kalk Bay. Tried their brownies and bought a Butternut Ciabatta. Excellent, both of the products. The bakery is just around the corner from the cafe.

Reviewed 27 December 2016 via mobile

We walked through a dirty kitchen to get to the toilets and it put us off from ordering any food. Service was poor and lethargic