“Super ambiance and seafood”
Review of Harbour House

Harbour House
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Kalk Bay
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Harbour House Restaurant is located in the heart of an old working fishing harbour.Come and experience fine dining as the waves splash up against the windows while you enjoy the freshest seafood and line fish caught from our own boat.Window tables are a must so reservations are essential!
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Having accidentally ended up staying in Kalk Bay and feeling somewhat deprived of the opportunity of eating seafood at the Waterfront we were told that Harbour House was the place. We trotted across and lo and behold, this was one of the best seafood meals both my travel companion I ever had! We ended up having our next lunch and dinner here as well. Our young waiter from Zimbabwe could not have been nicer or extended better service. Go and enjoy if you appreciate outstanding food.

HarbourHouseG, Manager at Harbour House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear 999louisr

Thank you very much for the great review on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable experience at Harbour House Kalk Bay. We pride ourselves with great views, service and food.

I hope there are many more visits and amazing experiences with us in your not too distant future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviews (1 701)

16 - 20 of 1 701 reviews

Reviewed 12 October 2017

On recommendation of a friend we made an reservation for lunch on a Sunday __ we were enthralled with the authentic setting ; right on top of the harbour with a view to die for but , that is unfortunately where it ended .
Although we booked in advance , the table wasn't ready when we got there and were requested after about 10 minutes to move to another table since we got placed at the wrong one . We waited for ages to be attended to but to be fair to the waiter , he was courteous and helpful when he eventually arrived .
The wine is extremely expensive so beware , it is still better to take your own wine and pay the extravagant corkage !
The menu had a vast array of choices BUT , a lot of the dishes couldn't be ordered since some of the ingredients were supposedly out of stock ! How can that be with a number of renowned shops just a block or so away ! What made matters worse that the waiter did not know in advance what was available and would take an order only to return and apologise for the inept management !
We ate eventually __ our starters were nice but so small that I had to put my reading glasses on to find it on the plate . We all had fish that was very good but again with portions so minute that you could have thought that it was just a sample to spur the appetite !
Our son is a big and very fit 20-year old who admittedly has a healthy appetite as it is but it was the first time ever that I had to buy him a take-away elsewhere after I had been set back quite a bit wealth wise at a supposedly top restaurant !
Final verdict __ authentic, warm South African surroundings and beautiful setting but NEVER again !

1  Thank Thom N

Dear Thom N

Thank you for taking the time to post this review and for your recent visit. Our sincerest apologies for your poor experience at our branch when you visited. I would really like to make contact with you, please could you send me your contact details to

Merinda@harbourhouse.co.za.
Best regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We had the Yellowtail Tartare and the Shrimp dish. The atmosphere is amazing and the shrimps could’ve been the best ones i’ve tasted!

Dear Cemre E

Thank you very much for the great review on TripAdvisor.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2017

We arrived a bit early for our reservation but were accomodated as soon as a table was ready. The food and service were fantastic and we love the view from the window table. A must-do in Cape Town!

Dear Nelia L

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor following your visit to Kalk Bay.

The team aim to please and provide our guests with the best possible guest experience when dining with us. We pleased to hear that we achieved this on your visit with us.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Our reserved table was not ready on arrival so we were asked to have a drink at the bar first, where the barmen ignored us for ten minutes until a manager came to tell us children are not allowed at the bar (my daughters are 20 and 18). Still battled to get service from the bar after I explained their ages...
Table was great, view awesome with waves breaking and rain coming in from the sea, lovely!
So, they had no tuna, no yellow tail and no fillet steak. With a limited menu as it is this hampered choice tremendously. And right downstairs in harbour fishermen were selling fresh yellow tail and snoek..Food we had was average and the somewhat undercooked hake (which I unfortunately tasted) Gavin ordered, I realised later must have been off .
A disappointing visit after looking forward to good seafood with great views.

Dear dontcallmelee

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor following your visit with us at Kalk Bay.

We truly value your opinion as it is from your comments that we are able to uphold our commitment to excellence, thus providing you with customer satisfaction for future visits.

While it is certainly never our intent to disappoint our guests or provide anything less than the best in personal service and facilities, I would like to sincerely apologize for the service shortcomings. We are typically known for our exceptional level of service. We can assure you the complications mentioned will be addressed to prevent issues like this from repeating itself in future.

Thank you for your feedback and we certainly hope to welcome you back again.