“Diving on the Duyung Buru(New Mermaid) " A trip that energized my dreams!"”
Review of Duyung Baru

Duyung Baru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Prime liveaboard in Labuan Bajo (Komodo National Park) - operating in Komodo since 1998 Small groups of max 6 guests, great food (Yani Korth) and unbelievable diving!
Reviewed 29 October 2016

I had the great pleasure from 10/15-23 / 2016 to join one of the owner's, Yani Korth on her Phinisi schooner, Duyung Baru (25 meters ) on a live aboard in the Komoto Island region. She and her crew of 4 gave me and 5 other divers a trip full of memories. They all worked well as a team with warmth, consideration for special needs, and each with expertise. Bon Appetite (Enak) best describes the food. Her special fresh baked breads, grilled seafood, various local vegetables, and desserts never ceased to amaze our palettes. I was able to join her in the kitchen for a few lessons in regional food. She also found time for a to die for massage.
Dive Master, Simone, gave thorough briefings as well as adept at reading the currents. The diving was challenging so experience a necessity. The waters were world class with sightings of macro and palagic. The Chauldren also known as the "Shotgun" will test your skills and courage! My goddess, Simone, guided me through with a helping hand! Hendrick, the skiff operator, had a smile painted on his face which will save me from the 1000 words I could use to describe this experience. Andi never tired of my special requests due to diet and age(67). Captain Merajap, kept our course prompt and without incident. Professionalism, humor, socializing , and family warmth best describes my experience . We also had a memorable time at Rinca checking out the Komoto dragons and a panoramic view for a Kodak moment. My new dive friends from Austria were part of the frosting on the cake. Their expertise, humor, warmth and friendship represented the peace I find throughout my worldly travels.

2  Thank Iamwoman1949

Reviewed 26 October 2016

Gosh, where do you start? Firstly, a look below the deck reveals a hold that is neat, well organized, and totally functional. Above,the galley and dining room are well designed. The food prepared by Yani, one of the owners is beyond exllent. Every meal is a culinary delight;breakfast,lunch and dinner are prepared with care and attention to presentation. Deckspace is also roomy and function. There are shaded areas and sundecks,if one cares to work on their tan. Ah yes, and the diving. Briefings are thorough and accurate with detailed drawings and explanations, including contingency plans. If you REALLY want to dive Komodo, you must be prepared to put forth some effort. The diving is exilerating and challenging, so come prepared to use all your skills.You willnot be dissapointed. In fact, you will come away a better,more competent diver. However, what really sets Duyung Baru apart from the rest are the friendships you will develop, and the camaraderie that exists between the other divers, the crew, and the owners. It is truly an intimate experience with only 6 divers and 6 crew. After my trip I had 11 new friends, I will remember for a long time. The diving, both macro and palagic, was world class. Remember, in this world, no effort, no reward. If you put inthe effort, you will be rewarded with both friendship and an unforgettable scuba diving experience. Nuff said.

2  Thank akdivebud
Reviewed 30 September 2016

We found this boat in the last minute on internet. When you type "liveaboard Komodo", you will find more than 15 boats - either luxury or budget, big or small, I will say a lot of choices. However, I have more than 2000 dives in my life and I tried quite a number of liveaboard in different countries, I am very sure that big boat, means having more than 12 guests, is definitely not my cup of tea. I tried also boat like having 12 guests which size is optimal but you will find a lot photo lovers on the boat. However, this time I told myself that I should try something different and hence I chose Duyung Baru because they took only 6 guests on the boat!!! I knew I will have different experience with them!

First of all, without any doubt, Komodo is one of the best dive sites in the world. . The owner of Duyung Baru, we all called him vovo, dives in Komodo for more than 20 years. Duyung Baru was the first liveaboard in Komodo. He knows Komodo by heart. During the trip, he brought us to all sites, even secret one…We saw Manta 4 times , sharks almost every day…

Duyung Baru is like you rent your own boat and dive with the dive master. On other boats, since you have more number of guests, you need to dive with certain schedule and procedure. On this boat, you can decide what you want to do between the guests. Vovo will ask you "when do you want for your next dive?" "where do you want to dive?". The atmosphere is so free that it is like diving with your friends on a chartered boat!

Vovo's wife, Yanni, is our angel! She prepared everything on the boat out of diving (this is not totally true because sometimes she even prepared the bottles and dried your BCD!). She made all the meals on the boat. Bread was freshly made by her every day. If you like Nasi Goreng, yes, she can do it; if you like Japanese, yes she can also do it; if you like dim sum, yes she can also do it!!! She made the best satay I have ever tasted!! She is the superwoman and took care of her guests so well. We have nothing to add!

I am sure I will come back to dive with them. The only problem is whether vovo will be available. He will have one more boat for free diving very soon. I really hope that I could dive with him again!

2  Thank Captaintoutin
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

We spent 1 week in July 2026 on this live aboard and toured the Komodo National Park. The diving was truly spectacular. We saw a big variety of fish from Mantas to macro. The reefs appeared to be healthy. Dives were at times quite challenging due to the currents but thanks to the very experianced guide manageable for us. Cabins are surprisingly spacious. Awesome cooking and a great crew rounded things up.

1  Thank Kritikerin_50
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

I went with my wife with the Duyung Baru on a liveaboard in July 2016 around Komodo. We stayed 5 nights / 6 days. The most important element when deciding on a boat is the accommodation. Coming from a hospitality background myself this is key so based on the pictures I really liked the cabin when I was browsing the internet so I decided to book this boat. When we arrived on the boat we immediately noticed the boat was extremely well maintained and when I entered the cabin I could not have been more happy...I was in awe. Wow, what a nice cabin with nice double bed, very comfortable shower and toilet. I really liked the toilet and shower in the cabin were separated. All extremely comfortable and 5 star. We slept like roses. The second important element is food and again here we were extremely satisfied with the quality of the food. Delicious all the way. My favorite was the fresh grilled fish, catched from the boat. A dream come true. Last but not least the diving was great and safe. Strong currents but big fun! I recommend to bring some bottles of wine to drink under the stars before going to bed. We did this and shared it with the other guest. This was the cherry on the cake. We will 100 % come back. Thank you so much!

1  Thank FrankBali