“Custom Komodo Liveaboard”
Review of Duyung Baru

Duyung Baru
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Prime liveaboard in Labuan Bajo (Komodo National Park) - operating in Komodo since 1998 Small groups of max 6 guests, great food (Yani Korth) and unbelievable diving!
Reviewed 26 October 2016

Gosh, where do you start? Firstly, a look below the deck reveals a hold that is neat, well organized, and totally functional. Above,the galley and dining room are well designed. The food prepared by Yani, one of the owners is beyond exllent. Every meal is a culinary delight;breakfast,lunch and dinner are prepared with care and attention to presentation. Deckspace is also roomy and function. There are shaded areas and sundecks,if one cares to work on their tan. Ah yes, and the diving. Briefings are thorough and accurate with detailed drawings and explanations, including contingency plans. If you REALLY want to dive Komodo, you must be prepared to put forth some effort. The diving is exilerating and challenging, so come prepared to use all your skills.You willnot be dissapointed. In fact, you will come away a better,more competent diver. However, what really sets Duyung Baru apart from the rest are the friendships you will develop, and the camaraderie that exists between the other divers, the crew, and the owners. It is truly an intimate experience with only 6 divers and 6 crew. After my trip I had 11 new friends, I will remember for a long time. The diving, both macro and palagic, was world class. Remember, in this world, no effort, no reward. If you put inthe effort, you will be rewarded with both friendship and an unforgettable scuba diving experience. Nuff said.

2  Thank akdivebud

Reviewed 30 September 2016

We found this boat in the last minute on internet. When you type "liveaboard Komodo", you will find more than 15 boats - either luxury or budget, big or small, I will say a lot of choices. However, I have more than 2000 dives in my life and I tried quite a number of liveaboard in different countries, I am very sure that big boat, means having more than 12 guests, is definitely not my cup of tea. I tried also boat like having 12 guests which size is optimal but you will find a lot photo lovers on the boat. However, this time I told myself that I should try something different and hence I chose Duyung Baru because they took only 6 guests on the boat!!! I knew I will have different experience with them!

First of all, without any doubt, Komodo is one of the best dive sites in the world. . The owner of Duyung Baru, we all called him vovo, dives in Komodo for more than 20 years. Duyung Baru was the first liveaboard in Komodo. He knows Komodo by heart. During the trip, he brought us to all sites, even secret one…We saw Manta 4 times , sharks almost every day…

Duyung Baru is like you rent your own boat and dive with the dive master. On other boats, since you have more number of guests, you need to dive with certain schedule and procedure. On this boat, you can decide what you want to do between the guests. Vovo will ask you "when do you want for your next dive?" "where do you want to dive?". The atmosphere is so free that it is like diving with your friends on a chartered boat!

Vovo's wife, Yanni, is our angel! She prepared everything on the boat out of diving (this is not totally true because sometimes she even prepared the bottles and dried your BCD!). She made all the meals on the boat. Bread was freshly made by her every day. If you like Nasi Goreng, yes, she can do it; if you like Japanese, yes she can also do it; if you like dim sum, yes she can also do it!!! She made the best satay I have ever tasted!! She is the superwoman and took care of her guests so well. We have nothing to add!

I am sure I will come back to dive with them. The only problem is whether vovo will be available. He will have one more boat for free diving very soon. I really hope that I could dive with him again!

2  Thank Captaintoutin
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

We spent 1 week in July 2026 on this live aboard and toured the Komodo National Park. The diving was truly spectacular. We saw a big variety of fish from Mantas to macro. The reefs appeared to be healthy. Dives were at times quite challenging due to the currents but thanks to the very experianced guide manageable for us. Cabins are surprisingly spacious. Awesome cooking and a great crew rounded things up.

1  Thank Kritikerin_50
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

I went with my wife with the Duyung Baru on a liveaboard in July 2016 around Komodo. We stayed 5 nights / 6 days. The most important element when deciding on a boat is the accommodation. Coming from a hospitality background myself this is key so based on the pictures I really liked the cabin when I was browsing the internet so I decided to book this boat. When we arrived on the boat we immediately noticed the boat was extremely well maintained and when I entered the cabin I could not have been more happy...I was in awe. Wow, what a nice cabin with nice double bed, very comfortable shower and toilet. I really liked the toilet and shower in the cabin were separated. All extremely comfortable and 5 star. We slept like roses. The second important element is food and again here we were extremely satisfied with the quality of the food. Delicious all the way. My favorite was the fresh grilled fish, catched from the boat. A dream come true. Last but not least the diving was great and safe. Strong currents but big fun! I recommend to bring some bottles of wine to drink under the stars before going to bed. We did this and shared it with the other guest. This was the cherry on the cake. We will 100 % come back. Thank you so much!

1  Thank FrankBali
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

I crashed the trip for filling in an empty spot with my husband and it was the best decision i made that month! The boat is stunning, spanking clean, and spacious. I have been in boats in Komodo and most of them are never this clean. 5 star for cleanliness!!! The crew are amazingly nice especially Vovo and his wife Yani who is also the chef onboard. Her food was amazing with non stop freshly baked cakes and bread everyday! I repeat. Fresh bread everyday! She wakes up super early in the morning to bake so you will smell that good aroma once u step outta your room. She even made oxtail soup on our trip!

We stayed in the double room with ensuite shower. The room is spacious enough for us two and our big luggages. A lot of compartments which are necessary considering divers always bring lotsa stuff. The air con and hot shower works perfect.
At night we hangout on the top deck where there are sunbeds and gaze to the stars. Vovo also shut off the genzet on request to see the stars better. Thanks for doing this! It was an amazing night with The Milky Way!

The dives: impeccably amazing! I did my first crazy drift dive and it was THE best dive ever!!!! I felt like i was in Mission Impossible movie. Thanks to Vovo for knowing where to go. I would love to do it again.

We also made time to visit the dragons in Rinca island. Yani hiked with us and showed us very beautiful view over this island.

I would like to recommend this boat to my friends and colleagues who plan to go to Komodo.

Thank you Vovo, Yani, Matt and Duyung Baru crew!