“Friendly service. Lovely home cooked food.”
Review of Positano

Positano
Ranked #5 of 128 Restaurants in Surbiton
Price range: US$11 - US$46
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Positano is an Italian Restaurant in the heart of Surbiton, and we hope we’ll be your home away from home. Whether you’re coming in with friends for a comforting bowl of pasta, a big beautiful hand made pizza, and a glass of red, or celebrating your birthday with cake and limoncello, we’d love to welcome you in.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Such a lovely evening! A great family run restaurant with enthusiastic and polite service. My muscles and recommended Pannacotta were delicious. All the food our food was tasty and well presented. A perfect place for a lovely, local date night.

1  Thank Karima Y
Ledia L, Manager at Positano, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us this lovely review!

We're glad you had such a good time and enjoyed everything we had to offer (the pannacotta is my favourite)!

On behalf of my parents and I, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

We hadn’t been for 2 years as Da Lucia was so much better . Sadly Da Lucia had closed so we duly went back . Owners have changed but menu hasn’t ( unfortunately) . Starters . Calamari.. limp and served oddly with fried carrot , courgette and parsnip ... partners soup , minestrone watery. Mains ... my rigatoni with blue cheese sauce was very creamy . Partners lasagne super tomato based . This place could be so so much better but it caters for a suburban crowd who are budget conscious . We won’t go back . To stand out it needs to really make a statement , and it doesn’t ....

Ledia L, Manager at Positano, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Hello,

The menu hasn't changed due to the fact that all the items are very popular with regular customers. We have however added some new things onto the menu. Minestrone soup is not meant to be thick. The rigatoni is advertised as creamy. And traditionally lasagne is tomato based.

We have a varying price points to suit many different people. For example our wines start at £14.50, which is the bottle you ordered, and go up depending on what wine you would like. Same with our food. We don't judge on how 'budget conscious' people are.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

I booked a table at Positano to celebrate father's day. We were 2 adults and two children. When we arrived the young waitress greeting us at the door gave us a lovely table nearby the window and I appreciated it as the rest of the restaurant seems to be more in the dark. Unfortunately she was reproached a few seconds later by the manager who came to tell us that table was already reserved (no sign on it!) We settled for a different table but I wasn't happy with my first impression of the place. Having said that they were quite polite and kind to accommodate the children needs.
But the worse came with the order of mine and my husband's main course. I had the rack of lamb with veggies on the side and my husband ordered the veal with lemon both dishes priced at £15.90.. When the food arrived the portion were very meagre. I had two little pieces of lamb rack drowned in gravy and my husband's veal portions you could not even see them! The veggies were also on the small sizes.The kids had spaghetti bolognese and lasagne and their portions were fine (thank God for that!)
And that is the only reason I graded this restaurant as average I definitely did not see any excellency or at least not today.Very disappointed!
I had chosen Positano because I read the trip advisor reviews and because I wanted to take my husband and the kids to a new Italian restaurant (I am Italian myself)
A word of advice stick with pasta or pizza you will get a good portion and good value for your money!.

1  Thank bluedawn2018
Ledia L, Manager at Positano, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

I will start off by saying that writing this negative review was your sole reason for visiting our restaurant, as to to why, I wouldn’t know. From the moment you called to book your table the night before you had already made you intentions clear to us. Our fairly new waitress picked up the phone and was subjected to your abusive language to the point she cried, which we strictly don’t tolerate towards our staff. However the booking was made and we respected that.

When you arrived you sat yourself down in a place that you ‘deemed’ fit for your self, a table for 6 when you were four, after saying ‘It’s our first time here so you have to accommodate us’. The waitress was scared to say anything to you as she was the one who took your booking. My mum came over and said ‘I’m afraid the table has been booked for a larger party.’ We sat you down at the table not too far from our huge windows; as all the other tables were currently being used or reserved. We even offered you a different table once other customers had left but of course you refused.

We do have reservation signs, however we are a very small family restaurant and its not really worth putting them up as most of our customers are very understanding that sometimes tables are booked. I am happy to say that we do have lighting, both ceiling and wall and we also have fairy lights just to bump up the brightness. I’m sorry this was not enough light for you!

The dishes you chose I brought out to you and I can say they they were normal sized portion of food. There were four large slices of veal and three thick cut lamb racks. In terms of the gravy the plate was wiped clean when I came to cleared them so realistically how much gravy could it have been? If you were still hungry after all that you could have easily asked for more. Our prices are competitive and suitable for the area and considering all of our food is freshly prepared, it’s astounding to think this was not ‘value for money’. We also approached you during your meal to ask how everything was and you said it’s was fine. If they was a problem you could have easily told us and we could have done something to accommodate you but of course you had this review in mind so weren’t going to say anything.

To accommodate you further, you returned a long time after you left, your husband came in and said that your child had forgotten to use the toilet, we found this behaviour odd considering you lived locally and had left a while ago but we let it slide because it probably would of ended up in this review that we didn’t allow you to use our facilities during your time at our restaurant.

All in all I thank you for this review it has made us realise that in the future we will have a zero tolerance for verbal abuse towards our staff. We are a very small family run business and work very hard to make everyone feel like part of the family and welcomed, we respect everyone and try to be as accommodating within reason so I find it impossible to believe this vindictive review.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

A really good experience from start to finish. A warm welcome, and friendly service. Great choice of dishes and specials too. House red wine is very palatable and good value. Loved the grilled sardines to start and the mains were delicious with beautifully cooked vegetables. We were too full to try the puds!
Great local restaurant which I look forward to visiting again.

Ledia L, Manager at Positano, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Hello!

Thank you for this lovely review! It was lovely to meet you! I'm glad you enjoyed the sardines, their one of our favourites. Hopefully next time we can tempt you with pudding!

On behalf of my parents and I thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

This place was the jewel in Surbiton's crown for years. Fantastic authentic Italian food and friendly service. It's by no means bad now, just not as good as it was. The pizza was slightly greasy, with too much cheese, the ingredients just don't taste as fresh. Great service and still far better than a dominos, just sadly not what it once was.

Ledia L, Manager at Positano, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Thank you for you very prompt review of your pizza yesterday. Sorry you were disappointed with your take away pizza, I can assure you that all ingredients are fresh and bought with certified suppliers that are known for their fresh ingredients. My dad also wakes up early every morning and makes the pizza dough by hand. Thanks.