“Dinner one night then NYE celebrations.”

Firefish Restaurant
Ranked #375 of 2 663 Restaurants in Cape Town
Price range: US$5 - US$25
Description: Experience sensational seafood fresh from the ocean and hot off the grill at this sophisticated harbour-side eatery at Cape Town’s bustling V&A Waterfront. All protein cuts are grilled on the state to the art Josper Charcoal Grill. This hybrid grill burns only top-quality charcoal and operates at an ultra-high temperature to allow us to grill and roast while preserving and enhancing the most deli
Reviewed 7 January 2018

I chose Firefish because it was new, had good write ups and seemed to serve super seafood. I also booked for our first night after arriving in CT to make it easy.
We were not disappointed. The food and service were excellent. So we thought that our choice to return on NYE was a good one.
We arrived and were taken to a front line table under cover just as it started to rain. It had been forecast and the rain covers were down but the roof was leaking so much we had to be moved inside temporarily. We were given a glass of bubbly and an amuse bouche of oysters. Delicious.The situation worsened over the following hour which added to the stress on the manager and staff but they dealt with it in an ordered way which didn’t meet everyone’s expectations! We eventually moved to another table near the front again and within minutes the heavens opened again soaking several guests.
We had been served our starters at this stage. Mine was crab which was so tasty and some of the best that I have eaten. My husband had seared tuna. Both wow starters! Sadly our neighbours had put up their umbrellas at this point and were eating one handed.
We asked them to join us at our table out of the rain!
Our main courses arrived later, My ribeye steak cooked to perfection, my husband’s tiger prawns also excellent.
Our desserts came in due time and this finished off a very good evening in the rain.
I would certainly go back to Firefish as the standard of food for the money , was excellent.
A few softer touches for dinner might help the ambience, tablecloths, candles and flowers.......

1  Thank drjudymwhite

Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

We had a family lunch at Firefish, my first meal there, and I left with mixed emotions. The food quality is good, bordering on excellent, the fresh oysters were really fresh and tasty and the various food items we ordered were all excellent. The restaurant has a nice interior, the exterior space is cosy and relatively private and the waiters were very friendly. But the food was delivered very slowly....we spent more than two hours seated to finish the meal. And it is very expensive. I know its the Waterfront....but R140 for a relatively modest portion of fish and chips is pricey. But this is the cheapest fish/meat mains, with most of the fish at above R200. A starter, grilled fish mains and a desert will take you comfortably past R400 per person...add in some some sides, drinks or a bottle of wine and coffees and a dinner for two will take you very close to R1200. At todays exchange rate this is almost 100$ and takes you to the upper price end for a meal for two in South Africa. And so my mixed emotions....I left well fed, with my palate excited, but feeling a little bit “fleeced”. I will not return.

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Found this great place on our recent trip. The food is fresh and of a very good quality. The wine selection is also very good. The service was excellent and knowledgable. Great views of table mountain and the harbour. If your a great fan of fish and sushi this is the place to eat.

2  Thank TheEleys
Kove_Mngt, Manager at Firefish Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Thank you so much for complementary review of Firefish. We love the 5 stars!

Your positive feedback is very encouraging and a motivation for us to keep our standards improving.

Glad that you enjoyed your experience and thank you for choosing Firefish! We hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

It says a lot about a restaurant if you can not only eat there as a solo female traveller but also feel very well looked after and enjoy your evening fully. The food was good, if not exceptional, and I couldn't have been better looked after. I started by sitting outside but it was a bit windy so the staff moved me to a window seat indoors, I spent a happy couple of hours people watching and enjoying the food and wine.

2  Thank jojom999

Thank you so much for complementary review of Firefish.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

From our patio view over the waterfront, we had a delicious meal and only wished we could have tried more of the wonderful-sounding dishes. There are many choices of places to eat at V&A but most would not compare favorably to Firefish.

2  Thank GayeS545
Kove_Mngt, Manager at Firefish Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2018

Thank you so much for complementary review of Firefish. We love the 5 stars!