“Delicious meal in a fun neighborhood”

The Shortmarket Club
Ranked #86 of 2 860 Restaurants in Cape Town
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Description: Classic dishes with a South African twist. In an industrial 1920's "members-only club" inspired space where everyone is welcome
Reviewed 13 April 2018

We were a bit sad at first to be at The Shortmarket Club, because we had really wanted to get a Test Kitchen reservation. However, from the moment we were seated and had cocktails on the table, that feeling faded. This was a fantastic dining experience - from the amazing bread, great wine recommendations from the sommelier, and every course of the delicious meal, we just loved it. My friend's asparagus with bottarga is still being talked about a week later, and the chocolate fondant was exquisite. All around excellent experience.

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Having enjoyed our fabulous meal at the Pot Luck club, we decided to enjoy our last lunch in CPT here before our flight home. We had to ask in an adjacent cafe where the entrance was as it is an unmarked door at 88 ShortMarket, wrongly numbered on my Navii map as 84. I thought I had booked for Tuesday, but it turned out I had actually booked for a couple of weeks later. (I can only guess that it defaulted to that on the booking site for some reason). Thankfully the restaurant was not busy, and we were accommodated and our deposit reassigned! The restaurant is modern, and the staff very smartly attired, but we felt at ease in casual clothing for lunch. We had some very nice sparkling wine to start followed by a very reasonable priced Viognier. My starter of raw fish was delicious, as was my subsequent Springbok and seared nectarine. My rhubarb (deconstructed) crumble was also delicious. A really superb lunch, with excellent service.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

There's only a small sign outside to indicate where the place is, but really sumptuous when you get up the stairs. Amazing food, beautifully presented, superb service. They do have a R800 tasting menu (with expensive wine-pairing taking it to R1350 each) but we didn't fancy that and went for the a la carte, which was great.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Very warm welcome. Aknowled by staff passing by with a welcome and a smile.
Looks like staff has a great energy with eachother as far as I noticed.
They make eating an entertaining experience. Some dished were finished at the table which
Is a great bonus. Very knowledgeable staff
Great flavours definitely a place to be recommended, only the little brother of a group of restaurants
But they are definitely challenging big brother.

Reviewed 8 April 2018

One of the restaurants touched by the master Luke Dale-Roberts, incredible room right next to the chefs hard at work. Amazing attention to details, fabulous unique food - if you can't get a res at the Test Kitchen I would highly recommend this spot!