All reviewshacienda puerta del cielomasaya volcanoother guestsactive volcanothe owneroutdoor showerzip liningtour guideevery mealbeautiful countryhoneymoon suiteeco lodgeoff the beaten pathdirt roadone of a kindnatural beautynational park
Reviewed 1 June 2017 via mobile

From the moment we arrived my wife and I were instantly impressed by the sheer scope and natural beauty. Truly breathtaking vistas of the surrounding volcanoes and lagoon. We were well taken care of by the amazing and attentive staff. Oscar, Adrian, Katherine, Eric and Ruth (our talented Chef) were very accommodating to our needs and the meals (mostly nicaraguan) were delicious. Highly recommended the "volcan" at the bar. We were also lucky to meet J.C (owner) during our stay as he had tons of stories, excursion recommendations and went out of his way to make us feel at home. Also would like to thank Linda for prepping us for our adventures and relaxing spa treatment. My wife and I can't wait to come back to this paradise.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2017

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at Hacienda Puerta del Cielo for four days. The day we left the Hacienda was a very sad day, because we absolutely LOVED our stay and cannot wait to return.

I’m all about great service and this place totally delivers. The minute I booked our stay Linda was incredibly responsive and provided tons of information not only about the Hacienda but also about the location, what to pack and detailed information about the airport procedures. Thanks to her we were completely prepared for our trip.

The day we arrived in Managua, Adrian was promptly waiting for us at the airport and we hit it off immediately. He was so friendly and incredibly knowledgeable. Before arriving at the Hacienda we stopped at a beautiful restaurant in the town of Catarina called Mi Viejo Ranchito. After lunch we continued our journey to the Hacienda, which is located in the colorful town of Masatepe. The minute we arrived at the Hacienda we were blown away by the gorgeous lake and mountain views. Oscar prepared delicious welcome drinks for us, the Macua, made with fresh fruit. Our casita was awesome, designed to perfection it had everything we needed. The pool was great as well. We enjoyed relaxing under the sun and the amazing Masatepe breeze. At night we were able to see the Volcan Masaya glowing in the distance. The food at the Hacienda was delicious, everything was always cooked to perfection and we thoroughly enjoyed trying so many new dishes. Ruth is an amazing chef and prepared every meal with so much thought and care.

I cannot say enough good things about this place. The Hacienda was the perfect place to enjoy a peaceful vacation. The tours were well thought out and Adrian always took great care of us. I think what made our vacation extra special was the wonderful staff at the Hacienda. They all work very hard to provide us with everything we needed and they were all so charming. We look forward to visiting again in the future!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nidia L
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

After 2 years of missing Nicaragua and the wonderful Hacienda my husband and I made a return visit. The bar was set high from our first visit but they managed to exceed my expectations again. Now is the best time to go with the active Masaya Volcano glowing in the background. Casa Bella has the perfect view of the volcano, its like Volcano TV all from the comfort of your bed or hammock. Linda takes care of all your travel needs. She had a perfect week planned with plenty of action and adventure but also plenty of time to relax at the Hacienda. Ruth, Adrian, and Oscar gave us the best service. It was my birthday during our stay and they worked so hard to make it great. They put beautiful flowers all over our casita. Later that night we had dinner under the stars and even had a birthday cake(very delicious). Ruth is an awesome cook, we looked forward to every meal! The food is fresh and they will handle any dietary needs. We truly felt taken care of the whole week from the moment Adrian picked us up from the airport. I recommend the Hacienda to anyone who is looking for a true getaway and adventure. You will meet some awesome people as most like-minded spirits come here. I cannot wait until my next visit!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2017

I booked a last minute trip to Nicaragua. My first time ever to the country. A short internet search and picked the hotel as one of my many stops there. I spent 2 nights, and I would have stayed longer if not for all the plans for my trip. The location was amazing, overseeing a range of volcanic mountains and a crater lake. So relaxing and beautiful.
The staff and manager of the hotel were so helpful and attentive to details. They would do all they can to accommodate even last minute requests, change of plans or guided tours. Even when I faced a bit of trouble with my booking through Expedia, JC, the manager, took it up with them to negotiate on my behalf.
The food was amazing and the cabins were spacious and clean, and I really loved the design!
I wouldn't hesitate recommending the place and its amazing, friendly staff!
Highly recommended
I am definitely going back to Nicaragua!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2017

We just finished a 3 night stay this hotel and have some serious concerns regarding the exorbitantly high rate we were charged per night and the value we received, or did not receive for it. Since we want to be fair in reviewing we will start with the good things and then move to our concerns. We would also like to compare this hotel with the Camino Real hotel we stayed in for part of our trip. Camino Real is also a 4 star property in Managua and very conveniently located to the city and airport. Comparing the two, we found Camino Real to be a REALLY good value, with super amenities, outstanding food, all for half the price of the Hacienda full board. So, our advice is to stay at someplace else, and take a day trip to the volcanoes. Anyway, here is our review of the Hacienda.
Location is nice, though not breathtaking for us. It was a dry forest with the volcano in the distance. Good at night. Hotel grounds were well kept. Most of the staff were friendly, although the on- site manager ever bothered to talk to us about the issues we were having even after the owner ccd her in the emails. However,The location was very remote, so we were totally at the hotel’s staff mercy. No restaurants or shops nearby. Road to town is a dirt road and quite far on foot. The property does not have ANYTHING by way of emergency supplies like medicines or toiletries etc. You are stuck if you do not have your own vehicle. FOOD was not at par with what was promised. We paid a huge amount so that we could get full board and were promised gourmet and wholesome meals. Unfortunately, our experience in this regard was quite bad We found out later that this was a new cook who was still in training. We had high expectations based on all the emails we received prior to arriving so this was a letdown. To sum up, after paying more than a 4 figures for full board, we ended up having beans and rice for two out of the three dinners, and were hungry during the lunches. The hotel is in a very remote area, so no restaurants or anything within walking distance left us at the hotel’s mercy and hungry.Even when we used the hotel’s tours, we were not offered lunch for those tours. This is unfair pricing as it is the hotel’s driver and car that takes us there and we paid the hotel for the tour. Still no lunch, even though we paid for full board. The room’s amenities are not at par with a 4 star property or worth the 4 star pricing. The room is large, but has huge open, skylight windows that provide no protection from the light. So, we were forced to wake up at the crack of dawn as the sun light came directly to our faces. It got very cold at night, but there are no quilts or warm items in the room. We were cold with just the light sheets, so we resorted to sleeping in our jackets, which was very, very uncomfortable. The curtains are or look like shower curtains, and the curtain rod was broken. The staff fixed them with scotch tape. The commode area is just above the bedding head and the door has slits in the bamboo, so it does not keep noise or smells out. The bath area is a niche in the wall with a shower curtain, something like you have outside a swimming pool. The ‘headboard’ is actually a cement wall, cold and uncomfortable. The towels are tacky. The room is Inelegant and not worth a 4 star rating.. The promised lobby WiFi was too slow for us to complete any work, which is going to cost us due to backlog of work. No WiFi in the rooms.The atmosphere in the place feels more like camp site than a luxury resort as touted. We were told that the kitchen closes at 8 pm, and that the staff would go home. However, they were there for much later than 8, but the kitchen would not serve anything after 8pm. They say they are a spa, and do not have good spa facilities like a sauna etc, only in room massages. Based on all this, we were highly disappointed So, yes, if you have extra money to waste on a ‘rip off’ experience, by all means, stay at the Hacienda.

Stayed: March 2017
3  Thank Sonya B
HdaMgmnt, Owner at Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2017

Dear Guest:

After reading your review many times, it seems that you major complaint was our rates. While we do not claim to be the most affordable Hotel in Nicaragua, we also are not the most expensive. Our prices are posted clearly on our website, which I encourage all of our future Guests to visit and read. We enjoy meeting people from all over the world, and we love sharing the natural beauty that Nicaragua has to offer. We certainly do not want any Guests to have an unhappy experience at our Hacienda, so for those of you who are looking into a stay at our Hacienda, please contact us if you have any questions or clarifications (if possible before you book a reservation) and we will do our best to address any of your concerns. If we think our Hacienda is not a good match for your expectations, be reassured that we will let you know so that you can look for alternative accommodations in other regions of our beautiful country.

The Hacienda's website states that we provide complimentary meals at specific times (while on the premises). Unfortunately we do not offer box lunches or pre-prepared meals to take on Tours, as we find food safety very important. The menu we serve is Nicaraguan, though we strive to accommodate our Guest's allergies or dietary requirements if alerted in advance. This information can be found on our website here under "View the Menu", as well as in the welcome letters, and requests for dietary restrictions all guests receive prior to their stay.

We find it very unfortunate that you did not enjoy your meals. The kitchen staff spared no effort in their attempts to accommodate your requests. We normally do not serve rice and beans at the Hacienda, however since you did not wish to eat the salad, vegetables or fruit that accompanied your chicken, steak, and fish entrees, the chef prepared it as an alternative. As a matter of clarification, a new kitchen trainee was indeed present during the preparation of your meals, though he was supervised at all times by our former head Chef Ruth.

Furthermore, worry not, as in the case that it is needed, we have a fully stocked First Aid Kit with supplies for small emergencies, while a former employee, who is now a Physician, is on call for any such emergencies. The curtains in our Casitas are brand new, as we just had new furnishings installed this past January (2017). Our beds are fitted with blankets and a heavy cover, though if guests require extra blankets, they are readily available upon request. In Nicaragua, most Hotels outside Managua and/or in remote location like ours, do not have WiFi, but as we know how important it is for our Guests to check their email, Hacienda Puerta del Cielo is equipped with microwave antenna for internet. Unfortunately, due our remote location and the service available in our area, the internet speed for the entire hotel is 2 MB.

I hope that your negative experience with us does not prevent you from returning to Nicaragua. Our pristine land of lakes and volcanoes is brimming with natural beauty, colorful history, cultural diversity and warm, engaging people. If you do plan to return, we would be glad to assist you in arranging activities and accommodations more suited to your expectations.