Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews honesty bar oyster box beautiful room first morning well stocked bar stunning views top floor linda lodge hosts sea coast
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 November 2019 via mobile

After thinking about it for a while I decided to write a review of Lalaria lodge.

We were meant to spend 5 nights (we had 3 rooms) but we left after 2 nights (and we did not get any money back as everything was already paid - but they did not make us pay the minibar sodas we drunk).

I suppose part of my disappointment has to do with the fact that this is a b&b and not an hotel but, and this is a very big BUT, before I went there I checked it on google...and they are described as five star hotel, with their web site listing loads of activities. So I feel that I was misled as to what to expect. That is why I am writing this review.

Anyway, I have been thinking about the reasons why we were so disappointed with this place:

1) the access to the beach is really not pleasant - you have to walk out from the back of the hotel, cross the road, walk along a road, then walk along two fences and then you reach the beach. It is not very far at all, it is just not pleasant and generally speaking I prefer to access the beach and walk along the beach on a nice path

2) the pool is rather small and the robot cleaner seemed to be constantly inside, at least when I was sitting there. Again, not a big deal nut not nice either

3) breakfast - served from 7:30....first morning I went around 7:45 and the ladies were preparing the buffet which is absolutely fine.....but it seemed like to get coffee was not straightforward. I had to ask them and wait for it and to be honest I just want my coffee as soon as I am up. We were the only guests of the hotel, but we had 3 rooms....so I am an early riser. But I could not have had hot food until everyone was up because we were a family. Again not a huge issue....but not nice either.

4) this place is far from restaurants or cafes. There is not much you can reach by foot if you are hungry. For us this was quite annoying as we did not have a car. I guess if you rent a car this is not a problem. But given that the only food you get is breakfast then if you are in the room at 18:00 and are hungry the only option you have is to get on a car and go somewhere else

5) there is something that really puts me in a bad mood if I am staying in a “five star hotel”...andthat is thin and old (as well as small and very few) towels. Or very scarse toiletries...

Linda/Tony I would really consider investing in some new fluffy, big and new towels for your rooms. Yours have definitely gone past their “best by” date. Please be generous in quantity as well. I had the smallest shower towel I had ever seen and of course just one per person. Also, we were two adults in a double room and in terms of toiletries we were given (in the overall 2 days we were there) 1 small shampoo and one conditioner and one small shower gel. No body lotion. So for two days my husband and I shared this one small bottle of shower gel....really annoying. I left before my third shower and after I had to ask for more shower gel to the lady making the room (and to be fair I saw that after I asked she did put one small shower gel...just one!).

Maybe these are not very big issues to some people, but others (like me) might care enough and would want to know about it before they book. Because expectations are really important.

How did you manage to describe this as a “five star hotel” on google...I really do not know. Please amend it.

At the same time I think it’s fair to also mention the positive things

1) the hosts Linda and Tony are very welcoming and nice. They shared information about restaurants and trips

2) the food at breakfast was nice

3) the rooms were nice

4) Linda very kindly brought us (to the Oyster Box hotel - where we had moved) an item we forgot at the lodge when we moved

Please also note that our disappointment has nothing to do with the not so great weather because I can assure you that for our last three days of holiday (with similar weather conditions) we had an amazing time.

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2019 via mobile

Stayed for one night to recover from our flight. Friendly welcome and great recommendations for dinner. Clean, quiet and comfy room with the sound of the sea to sooth us to sleep. Excellent breakfast this morning to start us off on our South Africa adventure.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2019

Beautiful lodge at the Dolphin Coast in an elevated position overlooking the Indian Ocean. Great hosts that give you the feeling to be there as a guest in their home.
Rooms with ocean view and others with pool view.We were upgraded to their apartment which was really fantastic. Spotted dolphins and even whales!

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2019

The reception was wonderful although we checked in very late the owner was very helpful and welcoming. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was big and clean with both shower and bath tub. The view outside was very beautiful.

Date of stay: June 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 1 June 2019

We stopped here on the Dolphin Coast for 3 days after a week of safaris and this was a great place to stay and relax. Our room was fabulous and the view spectacular. We had our choice of beach or pool each day. The house was beautiful and our hosts, Tony and Linda, were very nice people. Nice breakfast each morning. We will definitely stay here again on or next trip to S. Africa and we have already recommended Lalaria to our friends who are headed to South Africa.

Date of stay: May 2019