Review Highlights
Great experience.

Expensive, but totally worth it. The guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. And also the food... read more

Reviewed 24 September 2021
259jeroenb
via mobile
Experience for the books

I did the classic sunset/sunrise Trolltunga hike tour and this experience was truly for the books... read more

Reviewed 13 September 2021
JosephPhilipC1
via mobile

All reviews sunset sunrise via ferrata amazing experience guided tour day hike super fun dome climb mountains activity scenery camille
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 June 2019

We took the Sunset/Sunrise Hike and spent the night in the dome at the top. This is the way to go to Trolltunga. Our guide, Jan, was great and matched his hiking speed to ours during the entire trip. He is very qualified to lead a hike like this. It was fun learning from him on the way up and down.

The dome at the top is amazing. Whether cloudy or sunny, it is am wonderful site. They have it set up perfectly with anything you could possibly need.

It was nice to hike to Trolltunga later in the day, when there were only a few other people there, and, then, hike the short distance back to the dome for dinner and to sleep.

We slept soundly in the dome and Jan prepared a wonderful breakfast before the trip down.

2  Thank Lynn H
Reviewed 22 June 2019

We were a group of three climbing up the Via Ferrata "Himmelstigen" on a beautiful day. When we reached the middle of the wall, we could see another group start going down. This was before noon, and hence most unexpected since you are only allowed to descend after 15h. Even more surprising, a person in the other group called out: "HEY! STAY THERE!" We discussed for a few minutes and decided to climb, but the same person repeated the command. We tried to ask if anything was wrong, but got no answer. Then we asked if the person was a guide, this was confirmed. So we decided to wait, assuming she had a good reason. Descending is way slower than going up, and eventually after 40 min the other group got close enough for conversation. We then learned that "Oh no, there is no problem, just one in out group who is afraid to pass others in the wall, so we need to get to where you guys are sitting where it is easier to pass"! We were way beyond irritated at that point, and started climbing. The guide got really mad and started yelling again, telling we were rude people who would not respect her group. When we met we could pass each other with no problem, however our mood was not the best after waiting in the steep wall for no reason.

That guide set a terrible example by her behaviour:
- Breaking security regulations
She climbed with a group not fit for the trip. They could have met other climbers at any point along the route, causing danger for her own group and others
- Breaking route regulations
She climbed down at at time when people were supposed to go up, although this was clearly stated. At the top we met another guide who said the guides consider the route as their own, and hence do as they like. This is even more severe, indicating there is a sloppy attitude among the guides and our experience was not subject to a single incident.
- Unprofessional behaviour
The guide yelling at us and making us wait, without any good reason. She did not even tell she was a guide until we asked, and she did not ask if we had a guide in our group. She simply assumed she could yell out and make anyone in her surroundings freeze and stay put. How does Trolltunga Active expect people to respect their guides when this kind of attitude exists?

It would have been a perfect day if it had not been ruined by that terrible guide.

Date of experience: June 2019
TrolltungaActive, Daglig leder at Trolltunga Active, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2019

Hi Per-Oddvar
I’m very sorry you feel like you had a negative interaction with one of our guides.
I have tried to contact you personally to either resolve or explain this but unfortunately, I have received no reply.
The Via Ferrata route is a private installation that was installed by Trolltunga Active and is maintained by us. Our guided trips have right of way over all private parties on the route. We have created a schedule to minimize two-way traffic at peaks times and it only happens occasionally that small groups that have stayed overnight descend the Via Ferrata. I must inform you that our guide actually had the right to be there. It is expected our guides always act professionally.
We can always improve things, as a result of your feedback we will update our information signs to reflect this.
I would appreciate it if you would get in touch with me personally to try and resolve this.
Refer to email for contact.

Sincerely
Trolltunga Active / Jostein

Reviewed 22 June 2019 via mobile

My friend and I did the overnight sunset hike and camped in the clear dome near trolltunga. It exceeded all expectations, and was one of my favorite activities I’ve ever done. Our guide, Vegar, was so friendly, knowledgeable, and really made the experience one we’ll never forget.

1  Thank rmchild
Reviewed 20 June 2019

WOW! What an experience! This was without a doubt the best thing we have done as a group and would highly recommend doing the sunset tour with Richard. He makes the trip. He is an absolute legend of a man and we would highly recommend you ask for a Richard.

Reviewed 19 June 2019

My husband and I are honeymooning in Norway and before we left the states, we had found Trolltunga Active and the via Ferrata route they offer. It seemed right up our alley. We booked only 3 days earlier, since we were unsure what day we’d get to the area (by camper van).

Our guide, Esther, was absolutely amazing. Even though there was a misunderstanding and more people were booked than they thought, Esther took all 9 of us up via Ferrata without any issues, plus we were with an awesome group of Norwegians.

The entire day was epic. Esther made sure I was right behind her since I was a bit nervous about the climb, but it turned out that I got comfortable quickly and it was my absolute favorite part of the day. We would definitely do via Ferrata again and would use Trolltunga active if we came back to norway, it’s totally worth it! Thank you for an incredible day that my husband and I will never forget!