All reviews petrol station wooded area travel lodge dual carriageway car park filling station main road cafe next door room was clean dover ferry night's sleep busy road quiet location no air con budget hotel overnight stop good nights sleep
Reviewed 24 October 2018

On arriving to this hotel you’ll notice how run down it is. It’s in a poor location right next to the busy A2 dual carriageway. The car park is not close to reception and is poorly lit on a night. The very first thing you’ll see when approaching this hotel First is the holes knawed in the side of the roof by some animal outside reception. Once in the room there were greasy carpets with stains from where bleach or something had been spilled.Then the bed. My goodness. There was a blood stain on the allegedly fresh bed sheets. The bathroom was mouldy. The TV doesn’t work properly there’s a choice of 9 channels, and all of them dreadful picture quality. There’s a fire alarm detector in the room which flashes every two seconds as bright as a small torch being shone at you. This is not an exaggeration. You can still see it with your eyes shut. Then the receptionist had his mates round drinking and shouting in the corridors at 4 o’clock in the morning right outside my room. This was after the door to the laundry room slammed shut every 5 minutes. Come checkout time, the receptionist couldn’t be bothered to even acknowledge me as I checked out. I then went to the cafe on site and was charged £6.20 for a bacon and sausage sandwich and a coffee. Should I ever have the misfortune to need to stay in this location again I’ll be sleeping in my van. At least it’s clean in there.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Rob F
Reviewed 10 October 2018

Initially not the most attractive location, but very convenient. A purpose built Travelodge with nice size rooms and all you need for an overnight stop. Very comfortable bed and basic bathroom. Set at the back of Sheila's Kitchen, (very good breakfast,) away from traffic noise and a nice view of the surrounding woods. If you are on the move this is a good place to stop.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrishurley
Reviewed 8 October 2018

Bed was very comfortable however the bathroom hadn’t been cleaned properly, there were pubic hairs in the bath, there were cobwebs around the bedroom and a particularly large one with enormous spider between the hangers on the coat rail. Needless to say my coat was NOT hung up! Very poor cleanliness!

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank Helen1Skou
Reviewed 2 October 2018

We booked two rooms, one per family as a stop over on our way to the ferry to France. When we entered our rooms the smell of damp was overpowering. In our room the window had been opened, but not in our friends room, however both smelled equally as bad. I already knew the hotel was full, so felt there was little point in requesting a room change at that point. The kids had camp beds, the ones in our room squeaked so badly I wish I'd had the WD40 to hand, but in our friends room, the pull-out beds were so lumpy that their children did not sleep. We had to leave fairly early to catch our ferry and there were not staff on reception to speak to.

The rooms cost us about £63 each. Contrast that with our Inter hotel in France, cost the same but had a mezzanine level where the kids slept, with their own TV and was beautiful and clean, the Travelodge was not.

On returning to the UK, I contacted Travelodge who sent ma a badly cut and pasted reply, in different font sizes.

The reply said:

"I am sorry the room you were allocated was not fresh and welcoming. All of our hotels follow the same cleaning procedures and we use the same products to allow us to deliver a consistent service." However there was MOULD on the wall!

"I am sorry to hear that you found our new pull out beds to be uncomfortable. After extensive customer trials and research, these beds were selected as being the best fit for our family rooms". Maybe when they are new, but these were obviously old and in need of replacement.

It should also be noted that there are other reviews that talk about the smell of damp, so we weren't alone.

We have stayed at many beautiful Travelodges (London, Edinburgh, Leeds), however this one DOES NOT meet the high standards of cleanliness.

My advice would be to avoid this hotel, or do what we will do in future, drive that little bit further, get the ferry and stop over in France.

Date of stay: August 2018
Reviewed 26 September 2018

We broke our journey to France at this Travelodge, well worth it. We got to the tunnel next day fully rested and ready for our holiday in France. Only problem the place is not strait forward to get to, but was worth the effort. Good eatary next door, bonus.

Date of stay: September 2018