“Family lunch on Sunday”

George Inn
Price range: US$10 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A welcoming and friendly local pub in a picturesque corner of the Forest of Dean. Visit us for hearty dinners, lunches and snacks and an excellent selection of beers, ciders and wines. We are located just off the A46, next to the Castle in St Briavels, a popular spot for walkers, and just off the Offas Dike and Wye Valley trails. A beautiful refuge for locals and tourists alike, and all visitors are made welcome by the friendly staff and cosy atmosphere.We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed 22 October 2018

Five of us met up for a walk in the Forest of Dean.We had booked a table and were made welcome when we arrived.We had a cosy table in the old pub and all had the three course lunch.Three of us were vegetarians and two of us meat eaters.The food was excellent,the staff friendly and attentive and the beer good.We stayed most of the afternoon and we all agreed we had an excellent day.A lovely pub,quaint and characterful next to an old castle and in a beautiful village and in the heart of wonderful country.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

I don't want to be unkind because the staff we met were nice, a little eccentric but nice. The pub itself is traditional with plenty of stone and beam and most importantly, well kept real ale. The food was good. However, our main purpose for visiting was to stay here, my advise is DONT. Our room was small, there was no shower, mould on the duvet and no bag in the bin and I mean we could see the floor when the bin was opened. My sons room had no glass in one window, luckily I had a reel of tape in the car and we taped a piece of card over it, the shower was dirty, and he found a cup of coffee with mould growing on top behind the TV. My daughters room had stains and hair on the pillows, the bin was full. I've given 2* for the pub and food but this also reflects the room standard.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

Had roast beef today which was cooked beautifully and to perfection, roast potatoes vegetables and dauphinoise Potatoes just delicious and a short wait for the food. The George is a proper country pub with great staff and service and for the best bit it was £6 Sunday so all main meals were Only £6! Advise booking in advance as it’s only a once a month offer and was extremely busy

Reviewed 14 October 2018

I hope I don't have to fight to get this online as last time I spoke about the great British delicacy of faggots, Tripadvisor sais my most was rude!
These faggots apparently came from a butcher in Monmouth, so congrats to the butcher and this excellent pub for their cooking.
We were numerous (16) as this was a 70th birthday celebration. We all arrived at 12 and ordered, but the invitee got held up and arrived very late. Nevertheless, cook took this all in her stride and once we'd finished chatting everything arrived piping hot at the table. Bother and I went for faggots, but the others chose from the excellent and interesting menu with one gong for a veggie meal. Everything was excellent, and for us beer drinkers washed down with excellent Wadworth's beer.
This was a gathering in our ancestral village, and a gathering we all want to repeat as the welcome was so warm and everything absolutely excellent.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

We ate in the George Inn on a busy Saturday night.
The food was good and freshly cooked and presented well.
Staff were pleasant and service was as speedy as possible for such a large party as ours.

Date of visit: September 2018