Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews new owners burger night skill level fish these guys spent a week the kitchen staff group of friends monday night costa rica boat captain panga drops every morning great waves three meals a day dietary restrictions learn how
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 May 2021

The best recommendation for a surf camp is the answer to the question, “would you go back?” Without any hesitation, my answer to Giant’s Foot Surf is “yes,” “yes,” and “when.”

Giant’s Foot Surf is an extraordinary experience that you won’t want to miss. I took the inclusive intermediate surf package and Giant’s Foot Surf exceeded my expectations. The accommodations were clean, quiet and air-conditioned. The meals were delicious, plentiful, and included Nicaraguan fare. The lessons and surf reviews were quite helpful. I made real surfing progress at Giant’s Foot Surf.

Tara and Trevor worked tirelessly to ensure that my trip was success. Both are gracious, warm and a lot of fun to be around. Tara went out of her way for all aspects of my stay. In fact she helped me to navigate the covid tests required to fly in and out of Nicaragua and accompanied me to the Ministry of Health in Managua to make sure that I made the test appointment for the return trip.

Kevin, the surf coach, was professional and always upbeat. He made sure that we always went to the surf spots that agreed with my skill level. The boat trips to the surf spots were an added bonus. When all is said and done, the surfing was a ton of fun.

I only wish Trip Advisor allow me to give a rating higher than “Excellent” for Giant’s Foot Surf.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 5 May 2021

TLDR: it's great, go!

To be honest, this was slightly different from most trips in that, shortly after Tara and Trevor picked me up in Managua, I learned that (due to everything going on in the world) I was the first surf guest for a few weeks. Hopefully, after you read this review and book your tickets, things will be just a little bit busier in Gigante!

The camp is in a small town along the Pacific coast, and getting there takes some doing even in normal times, not to mention right now with all of the regulations around traveling. Tara was there every step of the way and made it easy. When it was (sadly) time to go, Trevor took me back to Managua and helped make sure everything went smoothly until I was on the plane.

The daily agenda at GFS is beautifully simple: eat three good meals, surf, hang out with whoever's around the camp drinking beers, maybe go fishing or on the boat, sleep. Kevin and Trevor were thoughtful about which breaks would work best at which times, and as promised, we did *a lot* of surfing. Kevin was a capable instructor in the water, and he knows the area like the back of his hand so you never feel concerned on land or sea. He and Armando (the boat captain) along with the rest of the staff at GFS help define the character of the camp and create a really fun, welcoming, and comfortable space outside of the surfing experience.
Outside of that, Gigante is a community of many friendly people, both expats and locals. Tara and Trevor have good relations with both groups, and it's not uncommon for people to drop by the camp and say hello over the course of the day. Overall, I'm not going to be able to do it justice in this review except to say it's an exceptionally good time both in and out of the water.

While I was there, I got to help protect two different turtle nests, swim in bioluminescent waves, and surf a wave in the bay that only works a few times a year. I'm not there all the time, so in spite of what I was told, maybe these things happen all the time, but either way I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Date of stay: April 2021
Tara Schill, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2021

These things definitely do not happen all the time! You brought so many good vibes with you my friend! Can't wait for your return amigo! :)

Reviewed 4 June 2020

I had the best time at Giant's Foot Surf! The rooms were clean and cool, the location right at the beach, the food amazing and everybody incredibly kind and welcoming. We went to many different surf breaks and my instructor Siobhan was great. I traveled solo and would go back in a heartbeat.

Date of stay: February 2020
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 March 2020

This was my second time to Giant's Foot Surf and I can't wait for my next one!!! The short version: Tara and Trevor excel at providing a welcoming, communal, fun atmosphere for all their guests. They work tirelessly to ensure you have the best experience possible both in and out of the water. The surf guides know all the breaks and live to surf. Chances are you will tap out on surfing before they do. Regardless of your skill level, you will find tons of waves, a chill atmosphere, and an authentic local experience.

Longer Version: My fiance and I have been here twice and have loved it both times. The first time I did the lessons package, and this time I did the intermediate and boat packages.

Arrival: You get picked up from Managua or Costa Esmerelda and take to Giant's Foot in Playa Gigante. You're greeted with a smile, a beer, and probably a huge helping of delicious food. If you get there anytime before 5-6pm, chances are you'll get at least one surf session in.

The Waves: Nicaragua has tons of waves on offer, and Giant's Foot can get you to a ton of them. The point of difference at Giant's Foot is that Tara, Trevor, and the guides want you to get the most, best waves possible. I've been to camps where planning is an afterthought and it negatively impacts how much time you get in the water. At Giant's Foot, it's the exact opposite. The guides live to surf and want you to surf as much as you can. To that end, typically the day before you game-plan the following day with the guides and they write the schedule up on the wall so everyone is one the same page. It's a cool system and I loved how it let us maximize our wave time.

The Intermediate And Boat Packages: Giant's Foot offers an intermediate package which includes recored video sessions and analysis of those sessions. The video sessions were eye-opening because I'd never seen myself surf. Seeing myself on video gave me confidence to take bigger waves (since the ones I was on weren't as big as they were in my head), improved my technique by dissecting both my makes and my wipeouts, and improved my wave selection to get on more time on the open face (I was taking off on a lot of closeouts). I came back to my local break in NY, and immediately caught more, better waves on a significantly smaller board, in 10lbs of 5/4mm wetsuit gear because of the lessons learned during film analysis. I'd recommend it for any true-intermediate surfer looking to kickstart their surfing.

The boat package is bomb. Armando (El Capitan) knows the waters well and is a great guy to be around while having lunch and beers on the boat. You and the guides spend all day boating, surfing, fishing, and sipping beers. On several of our boat trips, we were the only ones in the water at secluded breaks with pristine conditions.

The Food: Three meals a day of downright delicious, simple, filling, surf-fueling goodness. It's comfort food and just what you need to stay energized in the water. I don't have dietary restrictions, but I've seen them cater to guests with them.

The Atmosphere: Tara and Trevor have created a fun, chill, communal vibe in their camp. Whether it's chatting over beers, playing ping pong, going fishing, doing yoga, or just napping in the hammock, times out of the water are almost as good as times in the water.

Date of stay: March 2020
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2020

Cliff and Allison, you rock! Thank you so much for the kind words. We miss you here!! It's always sad to see people go, but we're stoked for your next return! Much love amigos.

Reviewed 20 March 2020 via mobile

I'm not a surfer type but I dropped in here for a night. I'm a repeat customer because the hosts are magnificent and the vibe here is absolutely relaxing. I went fishing for the afternoon with Captsin Armondo and Trevor. Great fun on the water and catching fish. I'll definitely be back soon!

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2020

We'll definitely be looking forward to your return Rick!!! Safe travels my friend! Much love.