Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews new owners burger night skill level fish these guys spent a week the kitchen staff group of friends monday night costa rica boat captain panga drops every morning great waves three meals a day dietary restrictions learn how
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 March 2020 via mobile

I'm not a surfer type but I dropped in here for a night. I'm a repeat customer because the hosts are magnificent and the vibe here is absolutely relaxing. I went fishing for the afternoon with Captsin Armondo and Trevor. Great fun on the water and catching fish. I'll definitely be back soon!

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled solo
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2020

We'll definitely be looking forward to your return Rick!!! Safe travels my friend! Much love.

Reviewed 10 March 2020 via mobile

I spent 2 weeks there and I can easily say - it was just not enough.
You’ll get a lot of everything, depending on your taste...a lot of surf (when I say a lot, I mean if you push yourself than up to the point you won’t be able to hold a glass of Toña beer as the shoulders will hurt), a lot of great food, a lot of beer, wine, rum or soda if you prefer, a lot of opportunities to meet locals and other surfers, a lot of boat rides as well as fishing, a lot of time to just chill in a hammock, and last but not least tons of laugh and love from Tara & Trevor (and all the stuff)!

I definitely will be looking forward to come back. ¿Por qué no?

Date of stay: November 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2020

Leos! We miss you here at Giant's Foot! Thank you so much for the kind words. It was such a pleasure hosting you and becoming friends. We do look forward to your return. Much love amigo!

Reviewed 25 February 2020

I have been to a few surf camps in Portugal, in Costa Rica and in Martinique, and Giant's Foot is hands down the best surf camp I've ever been to. I came with a friend, we were two beginner-intermediate surfers.

First of all, the location of Giant's Foot is amazing. They are located directly on the beach, in a very small town mostly populated by local Nicaraguan people. It is a 2h30 hour drive from Managua airport. As soon as you walk out of the airport, Symon will greet you with a sign with your name on it and send a selfie to the camp owners to prepare for your arrival.

You have access to 14 surf breaks, depending on surf conditions and your level of experience. All of them are accessible either through a short ride by car or by boat. We mostly surfed Mag Rock (beginner oriented, a little more crowded), Amarillo, Lance's Left (very few people, very long left - I got my best ever wave there!!) and Panga Drops (also uncrowded). They are very generous with boat rides.

Expect to surf as much as you want to, the guides will come surf with you and stay in the water as long as you can handle! You can surf your heart's desire, once, twice or three times a day if you wish it! They work with local as well as foreign (American, European) surf instructors and the coaching was excellent. (Thank you Siobhan and Kevin, we really feel like we've improved so much!)

We expected great surfing, but what really made the difference at Giant's Foot are the activities during downtime. Obviously you are free to just chill out on a hammock by the sea, but Tara and Trevor make sure you have the best time ever! We went fishing (caught six fish and made ceviche with them!), went horseback riding, saw turtles hatch on the beach (!!), made bonfires, went on sunset hikes, took yoga classes, watched Blue Crush, got massages... anything you want, just name it! The hosts are extremely accommodating and entertaining, and the locals who work at the camp are super friendly, warm people.

The food at Giant's Foot was amazing. Fresh fish, ceviche, lobster, burgers, all kinds of veggies, cake, flan... you name it! The meals are always plentiful (there were always leftovers) and delicious. Alcohol is also included in your all-inclusive stay, and they accommodate for vegans/vegetarians, etc.

The rooms were spacious enough, and the AC worked great. Before I came I was worried about the cold showers, but they were actually cooling and perfect! The beds are a little on the hard side, but that's a matter of personal preference. The rooms are cleaned daily.

I felt very safe the whole time I was in Nicaragua. The local people are very friendly and helpful. The only sign of any political unrest is the police presence in the larger towns, but it didn't affect tourists in any way.

Bring cash for tips and massages (25$) as there are no ATM's in this very small beautiful uncrowded town.

Date of stay: January 2020
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2020

Dearest Azure! Thank you so much for all your kind words. You really did make the most of your stay! Look forward to your return with some more great manifesting! Much love.

Reviewed 10 February 2020

So how did I end up at Giant’s Foot Surf Tours? I had a shoulder injury a couple of years ago. The Doctors told me that I wouldn’t be able to train Capoeira anymore, a Brazilian martial art / acrobatic dance with music. Working with a physical therapist, and getting some results, I did not feel like it was enough, enough that I could go back to Capoeira training every week. I used to surf as a kid, but haven’t done it in a long time, and then my friend suggested that surfing might be good therapy for my shoulder. I dusted off my board and got a new wetsuit (SF bay area is cold), and started surfing once or twice a month. This is how I found Giant’s Foot Surf Tours.

I started feeling my shoulder getting stronger and decided I wanted to go somewhere warm and surf for a week or two. It was the physical therapy I was looking for to rehabilitate my shoulder, low impact and continuous movement using the full range of motion. If I was seeing results with once or twice a month, what would two weeks do for my shoulder? After researching different surf camps in and around central America, I ended up falling in love with Giant’s, and ended up staying there for two full weeks.

My friend was already praising Nicaragua, and wanted me to visit, as well as my girlfriend telling be about how she loved it several years ago. So right off the bat, I was drawn to Nicaragua. I know that there is a travel notice from North America about Nicaragua, but I am a seasoned traveler, with the recommendation from my girlfriend and best friend. And I will state right here that it is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, with some of the most hospitable people I have ever met. The people are fed up with some of the corrupt politics, and no where did I notice or experience any impact on the tourists in Nicaragua. I stayed there for a month and a half, going from Giant’s to Granada to Ometepe to Big and Little Corn Islands.

Now there were several reasons for my final decision to attend Giant’s Foot Surf Tours. First and foremost, they owned their own boat and were willing to take you out three time a day, every day you are staying at Giant’s. That was a huge plus, for most places I saw had at most three boat rides per week, if you stay with them at least one full week. And later I discovered that this was more beneficial then I could imagine. For not only did I have access to the surf breaks north and south of the bay, but we ended up fishing to and from our surfing excursions. I’ll say more on that in a minute.

The second reason was that it was all inclusive. Where most places would include food, they would not include drinks. Now that wasn’t a deal breaker, since drinks where pretty cheap in Nicaragua, but it was a nice thing to not have to worry about at Giant’s. And I would like to say that the whole time I was there, I only once ate the same meal twice. The kitchen staff was amazing, always cooked delicious food and would cater to any needs (no gluten or no sugar or whatever your needs are) if you requested. They would cook all sorts of different types of food, always putting a Nicaraguan twist on the meal. I had food from Italian to Greek to Burgers to, of course, native dishes, and more.

Also, my research showed me how much people like this surf camp. Already pretty much being sold on Giant’s, I furthered my research by reading reviews that other people wrote. I kept getting the feeling of how they always felt a sense of home, after reading reviews I knew this was the place I wanted to stay. And that leads me to my experience. Upon arrival, they had a taxi waiting for me at the airport gate. It was a little bit of a drive, but a beautiful and green one, with volcanos in the distance. When I got to the surf camp, I was checked into a very nice and clean room with a private bathroom. I got situated, had a beer, and got ready to go surfing.

Now I was the only client for the first week. I had a surf guide, Christian, who was a super awesome guide from Florida. After I had a beer, he introduced me to Armando, the boat captain. Armando was a Nicaraguan fellow, who was super amazing and practiced Spanish with Chris and I every day on the boat, we would laugh, joke and fish. That first day, we went out to go surfing at a break that was well suited for my level. There was no feeling that I was going to get anything harder than I wanted. The variety of surf brakes where wide ranging, and with the boat we could go to any level of break, almost any day.

As we went out that first day, we talked about fishing. Chris had brought his own fishing equipment down to Nicaragua, and Armando was a fisherman himself (he loved free diving for lobsters), so both of them where always willing to leave early to fish dawn and dusk, on top of our surfing. Over the course of two weeks we caught black tuna, yellow fin tuna, jack fish, spanish mackerel, barracuda, needle fish and one mahi-mahi. It was some of the best times, just chilling on the boat trolling our fishing line riding to the surf break, surfing, then eating lunch, surfing some more, and trolling all the way home. Great conversation and company, felt like you were just hanging out with friends, having a good time, all day long.

Now, I didn’t meet Tara and Trevor till later, and we all hit it off right away. Trevor and I had the same name, and gave each other nicknames, Tre-Tre and T-Dub. Tara and I played some guitar, and she was always there, in person or via WhatsApp, for any question that I had, or needs I needed met. Frequently we would all eat together, play cards at night and just share stories about life and the world. We had a dinner one night at their house, which had amazing views of the tree top canopy and gorgeous sunsets. We also hiked one day, from the beach to the top of the Giant’s Foot with their dog, another plethora of breathtaking views. Their dog was the sweetest and reminded me of my own pup, it was nice to have him around the camp.

One day, I was too tired to surf and needed a day off, Tara took the other client (there were two of us the second week) and I to San Juan Del Sur for the day, a nice relief from surfing for hours every day. One morning, we took a yoga class from one of their friends, who lived and owned a small resort up the road. There was a huge party up the coast one night, and Trevor and Tara got us a taxi there and back, which was a great night out dancing to the wee hours of the morning. And on one of my last nights we built a fire on the beach and watched the stars move across the night sky, playing music and chilling by the warmth of the fire.

They also throw a Burger night every Monday, which was just such an amazing experience. People from all around the community came to eat a delicious burger. I met some amazing people during these nights, Nicaraguan and Ex-Pats. We talked about Nicaragua, ex-pat living, the whole experience of being in Nicaragua (from the local point of view and the ex-pat point of view) and the growth of the country. All in all, this experience was more than I could have expected, giving me a totally original view of Nicaraguan life from multiple angles.

In conclusion, I wouldn’t just recommend Giant’s Foot Surf Tours to friends and family (well anyone really), but I would also say that I am planning on returning and spending another week or two with Giant’s in the future. After spending two whole weeks surfing, I came home and was able to start my Capoeira training. Again, for the first time in two years, my shoulders where feeling so good, and strong, I was able to train every week and have been keeping up my training as well as still surfing a couple of time a month.

With my main goal met I felt like I accomplished what I set out to do, but the true cherry on top was that all my other expectations were surpassed. I felt like I was at home, with family and friends, not one single dull moment. If you want to surf, and want to have the full range of the coast, with good food and company, look no further; Giant’s Foot Surf Tours is THE choice! And if you chose Giant’s Foot Surf Tours, you will not be disappointed, in fact you will not want to come home. Thank you for taking the time to read this review and I hope that it was helpful.

Date of stay: August 2019
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write that review! My goodness Trevor! Wow. We really appreciate this and we can't wait for your return to GFS! What a great adventure it was to share with you! Super happy to hear about your continued training upon return home! That's so fantastic!

Reviewed 21 January 2020

I've never been more excited to write an online review. In fact, this may be my first?

I absolutely adored my stay at Giant's Foot Surf, and I don't surf. Lemme break down why I left so happy:

OWNERS: Tara and Travis are the best kind of people. Super chill and friendly. They know the area well and you can tell they are super respected in the community. Be sure to hit their Monday night 'burger night' which everyone comes to. This place feels more like staying with a group of friends than your typical 'all inclusive.' On Sunday eve their staff has the night off so you get to have dinner at their house just a few minutes away up on a hill overlooking the ocean. Crazy gorgeous view. Delicious food. Great conversations. Dip in the pool. This happened on the day we arrived. such a wicked welcome. Plus, they laughed at my jokes, so... obviously I loved them.

STAFF: It's clear that the staff here is treated well and enjoy their jobs. The new surf guide Siobhan had just arrived a few days before us, and due to insane winds, there wasn't a lot of great surfing, yet she was up at dawn every morning hitting the ocean and learn the area. We got on with her like a house on fire and have nick-named her Shifty (due to us trying to spell her name and failing.) Really hoping she doesn't lose that nick-name or the hat I left her (because it looked better on her.)

Armando the boat captain is a hoot. One of our group was taking Spanish lessons and he was always up for letting her try out new phrases. (Even the naughty ones.) He took us on a fantastic boat ride for swims, beers and a half-hearted attempt at fishing (we trolled the lines for a while but really didn't care if we caught anything.)

Lucre, Ana, and Esmerita are crazy good cooks! The meals were always fresh (burger buns made from scratch!) Everything was delicious and can be catered to specific needs like veg, vegan, no dairy etc.

Yamil Jr, Yamil Sr and Miguel are the night security staff who keep an eye on the place while we sleep. On nights when we were up late carousing in the hammocks/bar area, they hung out at the entrance to the beach to be on guard, but not 'in yer face.'

ROOMS: The rooms are very simple, but clean, comfortable and air conditioned. You're not going to do anything in there but sleep and shower. My bed was huge cause it was two singles pushes together. Comfy too. They're cleaned daily except Sunday when Maria is off. If you are an early to bed person, you may want to request one of the rooms facing the street. Two of the rooms are near the bar/hang out area and I'm sure you can hear everything.

There are no safes in the room, but they give you a key to your room. I never used it, as I trusted the staff fully.

TRANSPORT: We flew into Managua and Symon picked us up at the airport with a sign. Couldn't have been easier. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to Giant's Foot. I chose a different route home. Paid $150 ish US for a puddle jumper plane from a small airport ten mins away and took a half-hour flight to Liberia, Costa Rica and then flew direct to Toronto. You can also arrange driving transportation to Liberia, but their vehicles can't cross the border... and frankly it'd work out to be just a little less than the puddle jumper. The view from the plane was INCREDIBLE. A little bumpy with wind turbulence but I managed not to vomit on the pilots.

BAR/HANG OUT AREA: The beer is always cold and the rum plenty. The wine usually comes out with dinner. The hammocks are comfy and we even managed to play ping-pong on the last night when the winds had finally died down. It's shady and easy to stay out of the sun.

THINGS TO DO: As mentioned, I don't surf. But it seemed like there was something to do every day. Morning yoga on top of a palapa in the jungle, trips to other beaches, climbing Giant's Foot, (okay, i didn't do that but it can be done), boat trips, late-night bonfires, and just bouncing in the ocean/laying in a hammock.

DOGS: Get ready to fall in love with Frankie and Pebbles.

This is the perfect place for travellers who are social, like adventure and are okay with a rustic 'village' (it's not a developed town, but feels safe during the day and we had no issues star gazing on the beach in the evenings.)

Room tip: The rooms facing the street are quieter, but are a different layout (bunk on top of a double bed.) I think slightly smaller too.
Date of stay: January 2020

Diana thank you so much! It was such a pleasure meeting and hosting you! Next time we'll get those fish!! Looking forward to your return amiga!