eDreams
Priceline
All reviews new owners burger night skill level fish these guys spent a week the kitchen staff group of friends monday night costa rica boat captain panga drops every morning great waves three meals a day dietary restrictions learn how
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 January 2020

I've never been more excited to write an online review. In fact, this may be my first?

I absolutely adored my stay at Giant's Foot Surf, and I don't surf. Lemme break down why I left so happy:

OWNERS: Tara and Travis are the best kind of people. Super chill and friendly. They know the area well and you can tell they are super respected in the community. Be sure to hit their Monday night 'burger night' which everyone comes to. This place feels more like staying with a group of friends than your typical 'all inclusive.' On Sunday eve their staff has the night off so you get to have dinner at their house just a few minutes away up on a hill overlooking the ocean. Crazy gorgeous view. Delicious food. Great conversations. Dip in the pool. This happened on the day we arrived. such a wicked welcome. Plus, they laughed at my jokes, so... obviously I loved them.

STAFF: It's clear that the staff here is treated well and enjoy their jobs. The new surf guide Siobhan had just arrived a few days before us, and due to insane winds, there wasn't a lot of great surfing, yet she was up at dawn every morning hitting the ocean and learn the area. We got on with her like a house on fire and have nick-named her Shifty (due to us trying to spell her name and failing.) Really hoping she doesn't lose that nick-name or the hat I left her (because it looked better on her.)

Armando the boat captain is a hoot. One of our group was taking Spanish lessons and he was always up for letting her try out new phrases. (Even the naughty ones.) He took us on a fantastic boat ride for swims, beers and a half-hearted attempt at fishing (we trolled the lines for a while but really didn't care if we caught anything.)

Lucre, Ana, and Esmerita are crazy good cooks! The meals were always fresh (burger buns made from scratch!) Everything was delicious and can be catered to specific needs like veg, vegan, no dairy etc.

Yamil Jr, Yamil Sr and Miguel are the night security staff who keep an eye on the place while we sleep. On nights when we were up late carousing in the hammocks/bar area, they hung out at the entrance to the beach to be on guard, but not 'in yer face.'

ROOMS: The rooms are very simple, but clean, comfortable and air conditioned. You're not going to do anything in there but sleep and shower. My bed was huge cause it was two singles pushes together. Comfy too. They're cleaned daily except Sunday when Maria is off. If you are an early to bed person, you may want to request one of the rooms facing the street. Two of the rooms are near the bar/hang out area and I'm sure you can hear everything.

There are no safes in the room, but they give you a key to your room. I never used it, as I trusted the staff fully.

TRANSPORT: We flew into Managua and Symon picked us up at the airport with a sign. Couldn't have been easier. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to Giant's Foot. I chose a different route home. Paid $150 ish US for a puddle jumper plane from a small airport ten mins away and took a half-hour flight to Liberia, Costa Rica and then flew direct to Toronto. You can also arrange driving transportation to Liberia, but their vehicles can't cross the border... and frankly it'd work out to be just a little less than the puddle jumper. The view from the plane was INCREDIBLE. A little bumpy with wind turbulence but I managed not to vomit on the pilots.

BAR/HANG OUT AREA: The beer is always cold and the rum plenty. The wine usually comes out with dinner. The hammocks are comfy and we even managed to play ping-pong on the last night when the winds had finally died down. It's shady and easy to stay out of the sun.

THINGS TO DO: As mentioned, I don't surf. But it seemed like there was something to do every day. Morning yoga on top of a palapa in the jungle, trips to other beaches, climbing Giant's Foot, (okay, i didn't do that but it can be done), boat trips, late-night bonfires, and just bouncing in the ocean/laying in a hammock.

DOGS: Get ready to fall in love with Frankie and Pebbles.

This is the perfect place for travellers who are social, like adventure and are okay with a rustic 'village' (it's not a developed town, but feels safe during the day and we had no issues star gazing on the beach in the evenings.)

Room tip: The rooms facing the street are quieter, but are a different layout (bunk on top of a double bed.) I think slightly smaller too.
Date of stay: January 2020
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2020

Diana thank you so much! It was such a pleasure meeting and hosting you! Next time we'll get those fish!! Looking forward to your return amiga!

Reviewed 5 January 2020

I went to Giant's Foot Surf Camp for a solo trip in November to learn how to surf. Prior to the trip, I had spent a total of 4 hours on a surf board, and I was excited to have a week of instruction and practice. Honestly, I expected to ok instruction on a soft top/foamie, and to have mixed waves. I got much more. They sent surf instructors out with me for at least two sessions every day (morning instruction/ afternoon practice), got me on what I think was a 7'2 fun board or hybrid on day two, and got me to waves every morning and afternoon, including on breaks that more than challenged me. The team took us via boat to some really fun breaks that weren't accessible by truck. On average, I'd say we spent around six hours a day in the ocean, which was great for a beginner. My shoulders were killing me for two weeks after because we spent so much time in the water. I am hooked and cannot wait to get back on a board.

In addition to the surf, the Giant's Foot team are spectacular. The owners treat you like family. The cooks are fantastic and keep you full, even as you burn off the calories in the ocean. The captain finds you the waves. The instructors are supportive but push to you progress.

The location is beautiful - right on the bay at the foot of a hill, where you can sleep in between sessions and have a beer as you watch sunset.

This was my first solo trip, and I did not know what the expect. When I visited, all of the other guests I encountered were traveling alone (although I know right before and after a few groups attended the camp), and the Giant's Foot team did a lot to make you feel welcome, and to facilitate an environment in which you felt like you were on vacation with old friends. The age and surf experience of the guests varied, but all seemed to have a great time.

I would recommend Giant's Foot Surf to anyone interested in surfing, beginner or experienced - (they will accommodate your level) to solo travelers or groups, to young or old.

Recommendations: If you are more advanced, pay for the video package. Bring more sunblock than you think you'll need. Expect to sleep well after a long day in the ocean.

Date of stay: November 2019

Hey Chris! Thanks so much for the kind words! You're missed here at GFS! I still can't believe how great you did. Quick learner to say the very least! Come back soon amigo! Let's get you tubed next time! Yeeeew!

Reviewed 9 December 2019

I loved this place. From the moment I arrived the owners Tara and Trevor made it their personal mission to get me out surfing every single day at least twice a day. I mean that's what I signed up for but they were really looking out to make sure I was getting the most out of it. I was literally in the water not 5 minutes from setting foot in camp. They have a boat and a driver(Armando!) who will take you where you need to be. There is also a really good beginner wave called Amarillo super closeby.

The surf guides were awesome too. I did the intermediate package for a week and I surfed with Alex and Maceo. These guys have a lot of surfing knowledge and no one ever accused me of being a quick learner, but they’re really patient and thanks to them my surfing progressed a lot. I feel like I have a good base of knowledge to keep getting better after my week here. The video sessions that came with the package were also very helpful and I'd recommend that to anyone.

From the moment I arrived I was treated like a part of an extended surfing family. Tara and Trevor went out of their way to make me feel at home--They even hosted a dinner at their house for their guests. As a solo traveler I would recommend this place for sure.

Every meal was tasty and home cooked, authentic latin american food and way more than I could eat in one sitting. Also meal time was flexible around surf time so if we wanted to catch the tide first thing in the morning breakfast would always be ready for us when we got back.

My room was pretty basic but it was clean,had A/C and a bathroom, which is really all I need anyway. Also at the time of writing this if you book a surf package you get unlimited access to their beer and wine cooler (which I tried to make them regret)

Nicaragua is a beautiful country and I would definitely come back to Giants Foot for another surf trip! Many thanks to them for a great time.

Date of stay: November 2019
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2019

We miss you Tom!! Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I'm so glad you had as much fun being here as we did hosting you! Looking forward to your return! Much love!

Reviewed 5 December 2019

Avoid the crowds and factory atmosphere of Costa Rica and go to Giant’s Foot!

A few years ago I made the decision to forgo any hindrances and take my dream solo surf trip to what I hoped would be a surf camp at which I would surf remote, uncrowded breaks surrounded by beautiful scenery. At that point I chose a popular camp in Costa Rica. It ended being a fun trip but in no way did it deliver on its promise. The place may have once been what I was looking for but it ended up being more of a surf factory that put in the least amount of effort to keep their guests satisfied.

Enter Giant’s Foot. Last year I wanted to give my dream surf trip another go. Seemingly out of nowhere an add for Giant’s Foot popped up on my feed and I took the bait. Much like the Costa Rica camp, this place promised exactly what I was looking for. A surf adventure that promised access to multiple breaks and advertised up to three sessions per day.

Man I am glad I took a chance on Giant’s Foot as it was exactly what I was looking for and more!!

This is a small camp with great little rooms situated in the middle of Nicaragua’s best surf spots. As the camp takes only a few guests at a time, they go to great lengths to ensure that you are getting exactly what you need. The staff is phenomenal, the food is fantastic, the owners are super cool and involved, the guides are engaged, and, most importantly, the surfing was amazing!!! The guides knew every break and got me into great waves everywhere we went. If I wanted three boat trips a day, they gave it to me! They advertise access to 14 different breaks and there is no doubt that if that’s what you want, that is what you’ll get. We hit at least eight of them by my count during the week that I was there.

The biggest crowd we encountered was at Playgrounds which could easily handle the eight of us that were there. Most days, it was just our boat.

The ultimate testament to this trip was the fact that I couldn’t lift my arms by the time I had to leave.

I will definitely be booking with Giant’s Foot again!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank VinnyDintheVille
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2019

Thanks so much for the kind words Vinny! We miss you here! Looking forward to your return! Many thanks and much love :)

Reviewed 29 November 2019

My stay at Giants Foot exceeded my expectations by far! Tara and Trevor are extremely welcoming and make you feel right at home the instant you arrive. I dropped my bags off and went surfing straight away with attentive and knowledgeable surf guides who provided me with useful tips and helped to improve my surfing a lot! The food at the camp was amazing, by far the best I had in Nicaragua! Tara and Trevor have created a camp where they immediately treat you like family. Tara went above and beyond to ensure the next part of my trip was organized in that I would be safe and taken care of. Thanks so much for everything, I can’t wait to return!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Giants_Foot_Team, Owner at Giant's Foot Surf, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2019

Kristine! Thank you so much for the kind words. It was such a pleasure hosting you and meeting you! Absolutely looking forward to our paths crossing again, hopefully soon! Much love