All reviewspork bellythe pubconverted barntriple cooked chipspretty villagecheese boardhakeperfect sunday lunchmain buildingpalmers beerscharming villageblack puddingreal aleroll top bathreceived a warm welcomecooked to perfectionrelaxing weekend
Reviewed 21 March 2018

I had a one night stay at the New Inn whilst on a business trip to the area. What a treat!

Good parking, handy for the accommodation. Above all, it is in a lovely quiet, picturesque village.

I was greeted very warmly and shown to my room in the range of converted buildings to the rear. The room was lovely and warm, well appointed and spotlessly clean. The bed was really comfortable with good quality linen, duvet and pillows. My fitness tracker confirms my feeling of having had a really good sleep!

The food was superb. I had a Halibut Gravlax starter and Cod Loin main. Quality, presentation and service were excellent in a very cosy environment. Compliments on the choice on the menu and to the chef.

Breakfast was also a treat with lovely local pork sausages and the inn's own home made black pudding.

I will not hesitate to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2018

Stopped here last week for a light lunch. My husband had fish and chips in the crispier to batter ever and I had vegetable and thyme soup that was beautifully smooth and tasty. It was served with a smile and the PLmers beer was good too.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally L
Reviewed 14 March 2018

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights at the New Inn, Cerne Abbas together a group of friends on yet another of our annual Pub Break sojourns. The rooms were allocated largely at random and as the last allocatee we were given the Wye Room. This was subsequently amended to the Wrackle room when one of the party rejected the dog friendly (Wrackle) option and opted for another room. We then changed from Wye to Wrackle because it was bigger! Dog friendly it may have been but there was no sign, sound or smell of them to be detected in Wrackle!

Wrackle is at the front of the Inn, through a door to the right of the coach entrance and then immediately on your right. It’s quite a large room in period décor – wooden floorboards, candlelight bulb wrought iron chandeliers, heavy mahogany style chest of drawers and wardrobe. We were told the room was much admired by American tourists for its atmosphere. Large it was but definitely not cold because it has two huge school type radiators under the windows. Talking of windows, this was for us the biggest problem with the room. The two large windows look out onto the main street at ground level. There is a little bit of frosting in the panes, but not much. People walking by can readily look into the room, and people parked in vans look down into the room. We found we had to close the curtains for any privacy. These were quality, heavy duty curtains which certainly stopped people looking in (and us looking out) but also took away all natural light (on the last morning we discovered the roller blinds – they would have been a little better but to my mind still too opaque to let enough light in).

Bed was large and comfortable and in period with the rest of the décor. We had a problem with one of the lamps in the room which the landlady replaced immediately without any fuss – good service.

The smallish bathroom has a Victorian style WC with chain flush, a washbasin and a stand-alone, modern shower with plenty of hot water and good pressure.

We had a good nights sleep each of the nights we were there. There was some traffic noise in the morning around 7ish but nothing excessive.

Other rooms occupied by the group were mainly to the rear of the building (one was above Wrackle). Some of these rooms were smaller than Wrackle but more modern and comfy in appearance.

The bar is just across the entrance from Wrackle. Good choice of great real ales by Palmers priced from £3.80 to £4.00 a pint. Staff were very friendly.

We dined at the New Inn each night of our stay. A choice of specials was displayed on the board at 5pm each night. The food was of a high standard. What was surprising each night was that, for each of the dishes we had whether it was pork, venison, or lamb, the portions appeared rather small when they arrived. But each night, by the time we had eaten them both my wife and I felt absolutely full!

Breakfast on the first morning was good quality and plentiful but thereafter it went rapidly down hill. For the second and third breakfast, those opting for less than the full English had quite meagre portions rather than doubling up on the portions for the items selected (which was the case for breakfast 1). On the last day my wife asked for tomato, mushrooms and bacon. She got one field mushroom, half a tomato, and one small rasher of streaky bacon that was so overcooked that she could not cut it with a knife – not even a child’s portion! Such a disappointment after the first breakfast.

So overall, a nice stay let down by the breakfasts.

Room Tip: Wrackle is a bit public
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Two_Fogies
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Wife and I stayed here while visiting daughter and new born. Room more than adequate, shower just about OK, smoked salmon and scrambled egg just great at breakfast. We were so well looked after I feel mean whingeing about the room rate, but it did strike me as a tadge pricey.... probably would use again if visiting the grandson....

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Queenscout
Reviewed 28 February 2018

We stayed there for one night as two couples. Food was a very high standard and service to match. Friendly and welcoming. Clean, comfortable rooms. Highly recommended. Only one comment would be to improve the bathroom lighting but a great place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends