“Quarry and tombs”

Ranked #5 of 5 things to do in Edfu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 27 May 2018

Our felluca the Dahabiya Zekrayaat moored here for the night and we explored the site early in the morning - there was nobody there. It is a dusty path, some 500m along the rock cliff in which there are several excavations ; tombs and the temple of Horemheb. It is also a large quarry and you can see how different teams carved their logo in the blocks. It's probably fairly useless visiting this site without a guide to explain it all to you and point out the interesting bits.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

We took the boat route to get there but I hear there is a desert road that will get you there as well. A good place to go if you are a serious Egyptophile like I am. I am trying to see all the remote places that tourist don't usually go and this is one of them. Loved it!

Reviewed 17 August 2016

We accessed the place by boat (not usual !). The Horemheb Rock Chapel is not very large but contains some very interesting wall paintings. Colors remained surprisisngly well, even after so many centuries. Some depictions are very beautiful. Interesting place for people looking for other things than the classical pyramids and graves.

Reviewed 27 November 2014

I tried to visit the place from west bank via Edouf and went with taxi from Luxor. First I visited el Kab. After I returned to Taxi, the driver told me that people at el Kab told him that it is not advisable to drive west bank of the river for security reason at the moment.
I was not with them when they told him so that I am not sure if they actually told the driver so or if the driver simply decided he did not want to go.
So I did not go and went back to Luxor after el Kab.
Also when I was looking for good taxi driver, one driver said it is necessary to get permission to drive through west bank and all the other drivers said no need at all so I was not sure which is true...
Anyway, I should have asked tourist police before hand.
It seems that it is a difficult place to visit I wonder.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Gibel Silsila also has another name, Khenu, which seems to mean ‘Place of Rowing’
Most guide books say you can only gain access to this site by going by dahabiya, but this is incorrect.
I travelled from Luxor by mini-bus on the East Bank of the Nile and down a dirt-track to the Nile.
We then went over the Nile on a motor boat. Our guide said this was faster than crossing the Nile to the West bank further North (downstream) at Edfu and driving the whole way.
The guardians will show you the different rock shrines (Your guide will normally handle the gratuity), but you start with largest structure, the Temple to Horemheb.
At times I felt a bit like a mountain goat, but the main route is fairly flat, with soft sand underfoot. It is only if you want to climb into the occasional shrine that it gets steeper & narrower - assuming the guardian allows it.

I found all the information about this site on http://egyptsites.wordpress.com/ and it is thanks to Su Bayfield that I was able to go or to understand what was there.
Any information that I gave would just be a copy of her work which I will not do.

Being a believer in the saying that ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’, I have put up a few pictures on this but you can see more on my webshots page at http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref

6  Thank eLaReF