“What happened?”

Cuisines: Deli, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

This is not a review in the general sense. It is more the search for an answer.

As has been mentioned in previous reviews, the Organic Shop was sold and became the Blue Fish chip shop (so this TA page should no longer be active, really - but then you search for Blue Fish you end up here).

I was pleased to see another chip shop in the area and decided to give Blue Fish a try, late spring/early summer 2017. Apart from a degree of chaos, with them running out of some items on my first visit, the fish & chips were very good quality and competitively priced (they had only recently opened, so a few teething troubles are to be expected). I used them again a few weeks later and was again pleased with the product.

Then something strange occurred. I found Blue Fish on Facebook and learned that they had taken over the Kingfisher chip shop at RAF Honnington, but had then apparently vacated the premises several months later. The reviews on Facebook were very good - and locals were disappointed that it closed so soon after opening (myself included, as it would have been closer). The page made mention of their second venture at Fornham, however.

Skip forward to late summer and my return to work. I work in Cambridge, so I pass through Fornham on the way to the A14 most days. I passed one evening, fancying dish & chips, but all the lights were off. This seemed strange at 7PM. Basically, from this point onwards, it never seemed to be open. Sometimes there was a light on in the front part of the building, but nothing behind. The chalkboard still says “fresh sandwiches available”....

I’ve since been able to determine the following:
They received a 2 star rating from the council (obviously not good!) which has now been removed from the council website.

The Facebook page has gone.

The phone appears disconnected......

All very odd. To mess up one chip shop opening is bad enough, but two??

1  Thank Darkstar64

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

This is now a fish and chip shop,eat in or takeaway,excellent service and very well cooked,we found the batter was crisp and tasty,will definitely recommend this,it is now our top of the list for the best fish and chips.

Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

Met friend here a few weeks ago. The meal & atmosphere was good. Busy & service good.Can recommend veg curry.

Decided to go again but this time there was a older lady in the cafe who was rude & very loud. Cafe was nearly empty. Only thing that made it bearable was the food.

Definitely worth checking to see who is working if you want a quiet meal or maybe consider there takeaway option.

Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Went to the organic shop 31st Jan. Lady in cafe had very good understanding of my dietary needs and was able to recommend what I could eat. Recommend sardines and bangers and mash. Nice presented and delicious food by the chef. Excellent service.

2  Thank K H
Reviewed 17 November 2016 via mobile

Went for lunch in October with my dad and his partner at her request, honestly didn't know the place existed!
Nice selection of drinks on the menu. I had a latte which was nice, but no sweetener offered. I'm diabetic, most places offer sweetner!
I ordered a Caesar salad as I wasn't massively hungry.
I really wish I had taken a photo.
-chicken cooked within an inch of its life and I only got roughly half a breast.
-deep fried croutons in an "organic" restaurant. They were so hard I couldn't pierce them with my fork.
-about 100 halves of cherry tomatoes.
-the dressing was split.
-couldn't get rid of the taste of Parmesan for a very long time!
-we had nearly finished our food when had our check back. There were only two other tables in the restaurant!

And whatever was wrong with my food gave me gastroenteritis for a week! And I know this because my doctor diagnosed me!

Never ever ever going back!

Get a chef over the age of twelve, who has at least a level 2 food hygiene certificate and maybe check the use by dates on your produce before you make the general public sick!

4  Thank TomTheobald