See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

This is very nice old hotel, traditional. Good breakfast, staff, rooms. Around hotel is very nice nature, very good experience. Finnaly I could enjoy and rest from everything in pool, sauna, and many other things. Rooms are very clean, beds are little uncomfortable.

Date of stay: April 2015
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I want to offer a different view of this hotel.

Three of us (Brits) stayed here for several nights around the recent Ironman race in nearby Klagenfurt. The hotel is surrounded by fields and beautiful countryside, and the owners breed beautiful large Irish Wolfhounds. Fairly straightforward meals (other than breakfast) are taken in good weather on the lawn in front of the hotel and the service was fine - as was breakfast - Austrian style, of course. The rooms were clean and comfortable and there was a 24 hour reception - important for us in view of the length of the Ironman race. The staff were polite - maybe a little distant - but very friendly if you made an effort. They all spoke English up to a point, and some of them very well.

There was decent Wifi - but there was a small daily charge.

This is a family-run country/farm hotel, great for kids, walkers and cyclists who cheerily tramped their dirty shoes up the stairs and around the hotel. The carpets outside the bedrooms therefore needed a good clean! So don't stay here if you want antisceptic cleanliness, or hotel-chain standards of service, with uniformed front desk staff and a concierge and pretending to hang on your every word.

But if you want a somewhat different, countryside experience, I think you'll be happy here.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My family and I were travelling back from Croatia, and booked this hotel as a nice half-way point between our destination and home. We were ten people travelling in two cars, and had a car problem in Italy that resulted in us being delayed several hours. When we arrived at the hotel is was around 11:45, which is after regular check-in times. The hotel is advertised as having a 24 hour reception desk. When I walked in with my family, (including my 78 year old father and three children under the age of 6) we were all very tired and ready for bed. We found at the reception desk, a telephone number to call for after-hours assistance. I called the number, and the "gentleman" who answered the phone told me "you are late, and we don't have any room for you, we are fully booked." I told him that in my hand was a print out of the confirmation of my room reservation, which stated "no phone calls or emails are required; this email confirms your nonrefundable room reservation." He (untruthfully) claimed that booking.com never sent him a reservation, and said that he didn't care what emails I had -he never received any reservations. I asked the "gentleman" to come down to the desk to review the documents and discuss the issue. He refused to come down, and hung up on me. I could not believe it. We were ten people, including senior citizens and children, waiting in an empty hotel lobby to receive the keys to the rooms that we purchase well in advance. Finally, another person came down (an employee) who said that his boss called him and told him that they had no room reservations for us. I showed him the emails confirming our paid reservations. He shook his head and called his boss, and told his boss "no, they aren't leaving, and they have reservations, which they've shown me." Finally, thirty minutes after we arrived and now well after midnight, the person helping us said that they had rooms for us. He didn’t explain how they went from being "fully booked" to having our rooms available, and we didn’t demand an explanation. At this point, we were all so tired and upset that we just wanted to get to our rooms. Believe it or not, here it gets worse... The person helping us told us that “the boss” told him that he would need to get some extra bedding out of an empty room (so there were even more empty rooms apparently), and on the way up to our room, he stopped at another room, unlocked the door and walked in, before immediately running back out saying “I’m really sorry, I didn’t know this room was occupied.” He had walked into an occupied room in the middle of the night upset people in their bed! He told me, “the boss told me that room was unoccupied!” Finally, now after 12:30, we were given access to our rooms, and could get all the kids into bed. The next morning, around 0600, we were awakened by loud talking and laughter outside our window. There were tour buses running their engines, and Japanese people talking loudly enough to wake everybody in the hotel up. My wife opened the window, got everybody’s attention, and asked them to be quite, as it was still 0600. We never got back to sleep because of the noise. At checkout, we asked the owner to explain why he refused to come down and service us. We asked him why he made us wait 45 minutes before giving us the room we paid for, when we were already overtired from the car trouble we had on the road. We asked him why he lied to us and told us they were completely booked to capacity and that he had no room for us. We asked him why he hung up on us on the telephone. We asked him how an employee can walk into an occupied room and disturb people in their beds in the middle of the night, in order to look for bedding, which should have been already put in our room. We asked him why our room didn’t have a balcony, as advertised and paid for. His only answer to all of these questions was, “if you were going to be late, you should have called.” We told him that we were travelers and didn’t have cell phones that worked in Italy and Austria. At that point, he said “good parents don’t leave the house without a phone that works; you should take better care of your children.” I was totally taken aback at the rudeness, and asked my wife if she had anything that she wanted to say. He interrupted and said dismissively “Your, wife? She’s got nothing to say. What could she have to say?!” and started chuckling. At that point, I told the man that he was no gentleman, and that he had no right to treat people the way that he did. I told him that I would leave a review detailing our stay and his behavior. He waved his hand at us and said, “yeah, I’m sure you will…. whatever, just pay and get out.” I’ve never encountered such a sordid combination of incompetence, disorganization, rudeness, and conceit. Do yourself a favor… avoid this place like the plague.

Room tip: What a terrible experience for me and my entire family. If this hotel had a different owner and manager and an expensive remodel, I imagine that it could be fixed and be a fine place to stay. However, with the way that it is currently run and in its current condition -in all honesty and with all fairness- I couldn't tell you a single positive thing about the place. I kept waiting for somebody to tell me that I was on a hidden camera show... The owner said that he couldn't care less what we wrote on the review sites. Because the place seemed to be a revolving door for tour buses booked by foreign tour companies, he seemed completely apathetic to an individual family's satisfaction. He was rude, hung up the telephone on us, and insulted us. We've traveled around the world and NEVER had an experience as bad as the one we had at the Drauhof. I'd rather sleep in a snow bank or a ditch alongside of the road than set foot in there ever again. Why pay for abuse, discomfort, and outdated, uncomfortable accommodations (or lack thereof).
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
10  Thank EuroTravelerNKids
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The breakfast was a joke, the room freezing, the waiter gave back hungarian coins that look like euros, the salad was not washed and old. I've been to hundreds of hotels, but seldom left so angry! There are dozens of really nice places in this area, dont visit this one!

Date of stay: March 2013
3  Thank georgthe13
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This hotel was very nice, but I am afraid that our room didn't look anything like the one in the photograps. Our double room was very small and the bathroom was so small that my husband could hardly get in there. There was a balcony overlooking a massive field full of the most gorgeous Irish Wolfhounds - we so enjoyed watching them playing round. The food was excellent and the owners very kind. How we wish we could have taken one of the dogs home with us

Room tip: I would suggest anybody should choose one of the rooms in the picture
Date of stay: September 2012