“Dreadful roast potatoes and needs a compete refit”
Review of Toby Carvery

Toby Carvery
Ranked #9 of 26 Restaurants in Knowle
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Part of this review probably applies to all Toby carverys. How can you make such dreadful roast potatoes. If all you do is serve Sunday lunches how can you have not got this right. Roast potatoes should be crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. By the taste of them I would suggest that they literally throw them in a vat of cheap vegetable oil and then cook them in a really hot oven. Absolutely inedible. The second point is specific to the Toby in Knowle. The interior and toilets are disgusting. How anyone still uses this pub / restaurant amazes me. Suggestion : take everything out of the building and burn it. I have been frequenting this pub for over 15 years and the men’s toilets in the bar have not had a full refurb in all this time and are a disgrace. This is an m & b company and you don’t see Miller and carter pubs in this state ! . Must do much better.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2018

Thank you Steven for your honest review. Unfortunately refurbishments are out of our control although we would love one. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention though and we will see what we can do ourselves to make it a much more appealing place for our guests.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

Today I went to Toby with two of my friends. As soon as I arrived I had to look for the maids to get the table. The schef was very unpleasant and rude .... who gave little meat and badly cut .... a shame, I think I'll wait several months before returning
Giuseppe

We regret to hear that you had a negative experience with us. We can assure you that we do not find this type of behavior acceptable from our staff and we have spoken to our kitchen and front of house team to ensure that this doesn't happen again. We hope that when you do return you will have a more pleasant visit.

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Came for Sunday lunch with my family, been many times before and was shocked at how rude the bar staff was whilst waiting for a table. The bar staff did not even acknowledge I was at the bar until 5 minutes of standing there. No please no thank you no eye contact!!! Manners cost nothing. So shocked it spoilt my visit.

General Manager A, Manager at Toby Carvery, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience with us at Toby Carvery Knowle. We would like to get some more details about your visit so if you could please email us at knowle@tobycarvery.co.uk with a description of the bar staff and what time you visited so we can prevent this from happening again.
I am so sorry that this incident ruined your visit and I can only hope that it hasn't put you off visiting us again in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

Big restaurant middle of Knowle. Booking a good idea. Usual Toby carvery layout. Food hot fresh and lots of it. Happily accommodated a seven year old requirements !! Would go again.

Thank you for your kind words Michael.
We're already looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 6 June 2018

Visited here and tried the Yorkshire wrap. Normally always have a carvery when i visit a Toby, but decided to try their wraps today.

I tried the "Full Feast Beef, Turkey, Gammon, Pork and Mustard Mayo" Wrap

The food is served wrapped in a giant Yorkshire pudding with baby spinach, stuffing and potato. Served with roast potatoes and gravy.

When it arrived it didn't look much on the plate. There was the wrap and 4 small roasts. My first thoughts were, this is not going to fill me up. Anyway, i tried the wrap and it was actually really good. Tasted really good and was not to bad a size. After eating it all, i wasn't left as full as eating a carvery, but i wasn't left feeling hungry either. It's probably actually a good sized portion to be fair. Good for watching how much you eat at a carvery.

Service was 2 fold!

The waiting staff were great. Very friendly and pleasant and making sure everything was ok.

The chef/s on the carvery were well, another matter.

My girlfriend went up to get a carvery just as my wrap arrived. However, there was no chef to be seen and she was standing there and no one was serving here. Eventually a waitress saw she was waiting and went to find the chefs. All my girlfriend heard was the waitress telling the chef off for making people wait, and then the chef sang something like he can't be bothered. The waitress walked back out and said she had told the chef so he should be out. Several more minutes later the chef still didn't come out, so was told by another waitress to serve. Eventually the chef came out, and the attitude on him was shocking. No manors at all. Didn't even apologise for making my girlfriend wait. My girlfriend eventually got her food and came and sat down to eat.

A few minutes later we saw other customers go up to the cavern counter, and yet again, no chef to be seen. Those customers must have stood there nearly 10 minutes and nothing. They ended up walking off to get someone and ask what was going on, and when we watched, yet again, the chef stormed out with an attitude to serve the customers. Shocking behaviour.

It's hard to rate this visit.

Waitress were great. The Yorkshire wrap was tasty. Girlfriend enjoyed her carvery when she eventually got it.

The service at the carvery however was unacceptable. If it was based on that it would be a terrible rating. However, it's not the waitress fault as they did try and sort the chef out, so fair play to them.

The chef is just lucky it wasn't me waiting for the carvery!

1  Thank pandamedic

Thank you for leaving us a review. We're happy that you enjoyed our food and service from the front of house team. However it is disappointing to hear of your experience whilst waiting for a carvery. We can assure you that we do not find this type of behavior acceptable from any member of staff and we would like to address the situation you have described. If you could please email us at knowle@tobycarvery.co.uk with a description of the carver and also date and time that you visited us, It would be greatly appreciated.