“Hostile to tourists!”
Review of Cafe-Bar Le Gibard

Cafe-Bar Le Gibard
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Tadoussac
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Visited Tadoussac for a 2 night stay and was fortunate to have positive experiences at other local restaurants. This was NOT one of them. My daughter and I walked in for a table for dinner and was immediately met with an unwelcoming vibe. Many people were seated at the bar and a couple eating pizza at a high top table. The lady behind the bar and a gentleman who appeared to either be the manager or part of the band, texted away on their phones for the better part of 10 minutes. They both looked at us and continued to text as we stood there, awkwardly, in the doorway. Finally, after 10 minutes ( my daughter wanted to leave but I insisted we give them a chance) I politely walked up to the bar and asked “May we seat ourselves or should we see the hostess?”
The young lady was obviously annoyed by me and replied “do you want to sit here or upstairs?” I answered “upstairs, please” She said “then go upstairs.”
So we did, and sat ourselves....and waited, and waited and waited. After 15 minutes an older brunette waitress flopped some menus on the table and walked away. No introduction or drink order....not even a hello. Several minutes later, a kind, young blond waitress served us from there. She was very nice but by that point, the experience was ruined.....never again.
The night prior we dined at Le Cafe’ Boheme, absolutely exceptional. The staff was top notch, made you feel so welcome and appreciated your business. You know why they are the top rated restaurant on the island.
I live in Key West, Fl and understand that tourist season can be taxing, but if you can’t appreciate where your income comes from and what provides you with your livelihood, then get out of the business.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Upon entering We noticed an odor like old sewage. It was faint but lingered. There are nice views of the bay from here. Our sandwiches were only OK. Service was pleasant

Reviewed 6 October 2017

The cafe is in a fantastic location with amazing food and a great view of the St Lawrence River. There was nothing particularly great about the service: the wait staff were not overly friendly and didn't go out of their way to do anything special: the order was taken and the food was brought to us. It was delicious. We were happy with our meal (2 lasagnas and no drinks just water) so I went to pay. It was $32.00 so I gave her a $50 note plus a $2 coin. She gave me $20 change and I thanked her greatly and raved over the meal. I walked back to my husband and then as we walked to the door the woman came over to us and said 'in Quebec it is expected that you pay a tip'. Now we are from Australia where tipping isn't the norm but we do tip when travelling in other countries and if the service is exceptional. We said we were unaware of this in Quebec as we rarely eat out when we are travelling and she said quite rudely 'it says so on the receipt' well the receipt is all in French and we couldn't read that. Then she said you must pay 15% of the bill. We could have argued our case that the service was not exceptional and that she was verging on rudeness but we left some extra money and walked out with a foul taste in our mouth and feeling very disappointed. So would not recommend this place for hospitality.

1  Thank frizzy63
Reviewed 29 September 2017

My wife and I stopped here, great decision. Nice lunch menu, good beer and wine list. Service was good, small and pleasant, funky vibe to the restaurant and good value. All female staff had the place running like a swiss watch.

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

We had a quick lunch at this cute litte café overlooking the marina. The terrace on the upper floor has a great view - we even saw belugas offshore! Our paninis were fresh, piping hot, and served with a delicious salad. Service was friendly and efficient. A great little place for a small meal!