“Great tourist restaurant, average food at best”
Review of Le Lapin Saute

Le Lapin Saute
Ranked #32 of 1 546 Restaurants in Quebec City
Price range: US$11 - US$27
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Description: The magic of the Petit-Champlain district adds to the charm of the Lapin Sauté. By day, this pedestrian street comes alive with the sounds of chatter. By night, the lighting makes shadows dance on the walls of the street's historic houses. Dining at the Lapin Sauté is akin to walking into a warm, quaint and cozy inns from the early 20th century. There is nothing better than sitting in the comfort of this small, friendly 32-seat restaurant where you're always welcomed with open arms. During the summer, the Lapin expands to 52 seats with its outdoor terrace and patrons flock here under the warm sun. In the winter, a fire warms your heart and soul as you discover local country products made and served like nowhere else.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Made reservations for dinner because of the great reviews, should have noticed that the high number of reviews indicate a high volume restaurant with lower quality. The place is centrally located in lower Quebec City right next to a courtyard, and offers charming indoor and outdoor seating. The service was attentive and very prompt. We were in and out in just over an hour, and we ordered appetizers, entrees, and a bottle of wine; they turn the tables here at a fast pace, and the food is clearly prepared in advance and sits under a warmer. The food was average at best. The rabbit and duck were both overcooked and dry, and the french onion soup was lukewarm and just ok. If you want to sample french cuisine in a friendly setting, you will love it. If you want a higher quality meal keep looking, this is not for foodies.

3  Thank nurseladyAtlanta
Write a ReviewReviews (2 779)

28 - 32 of 2 779 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I had the chance to eat twice at this restaurant twice during a recent trip to Quebec City. I highly recommend the French onion soup with the option of adding "au formage mingeron de charlevoix". This dish was so good I went back to have it again. The atmosphere is also quaint and the service was very attentive. A busy little spot at meal times.

1  Thank NBTraveller68
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This is my first time to Quebec, and between Canadian friends of mine, and TripAdvisor, I made the stop. Thank goodness I did! Absolutely delicious. I had the rabbit poutine (house mustard), in appetizer form, with a nice presseco. Although, it was raining, the wait staff were very kind, and attentive. I even got a newspaper while I waited. Really cool. It’s a small, but casual place. The prices are reasonable, and they have indoor/outdoor seating. Nestled in the lower city, it’s a charming sure-bet.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

If you want authentic French cuisine this is the place. We had the rabbit poutine, smokes salmon and French onion soup. It’s a quaint little place and the staff is very friendly. Located in lower town right next to a beautiful urban garden where you can rest on the wooden swings and enjoy the buskers.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The best places to eat are place suggested by locals. My Quebecois friend highly recommended Le Lapin Saute. It is in the touristy Petit Champlain quarter, yet it is not touristy! So charming inside and out. Very authentic ambiance and food. My friends and I ate outside for lunch. The best French onion soup I have ever had - even better than France! The salade fraîcheur was very unique and sooo delicious. One of my friends had the rabbit poutine, and she said it was the best poutine of our 4-province trip. Great house red wine. Just a wonderful, relaxing, afternoon. We will be back next year!

1  Thank hcvoyageuse