“Good food, odd service, loud music”

La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse and Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse and Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #532 of 6 368 Restaurants in Montreal
Price range: US$50 - US$100
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Cross street: St Catherine
Transit: Douze Vingt-et-Un is in close vicinity to Lucien-Lallier, Bonaventure, and Peel Metro Stations, across the street from Windsor Train Station and a short walk from 'Gare Centrale'.
Description: La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse & Angry Lobster Bar is one of Canada’s premier fine dining steakhouse restaurants specializing in dry-aged USDA Prime beef and fresh seafood. Located in downtown Montreal, every detail has been carefully considered for your comfort. Notable for its decor, excellent service, outstanding cuisine, award winning wine cellar and the incomparable Oyster & Seafood Lounge, La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse is the ultimate destination for celebration. The Montreal Tea Room is a state-of-the-art private dining and conferencing facility, reserved exclusively for private and corporate events.
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I had dinner at this place with 6 other people. An interesting evening to say the least.

First, it is a steakhouse with a raw bar and an extensive wine list. Our party did not drink so the servers were a little let down about a third of their menu being off the table. There were a variety of aged steaks to choose from and other meats and seafood also. The place will not cook your steak beyond medium because, as they explain, the steak will get too chewy because it has been aged for so long. If you like your steak beyond medium you are screwed and better get something else like the lamb chop.

My steak a bone in was good, cooked to medium as they promised, but a little too pink still for me. Not sure that I loved the spices on top, to me cut down on the natural flavor of the meat. Some of the thicker steaks were even less cooked but good. The sides were good, I am a big fan of the giant onion rings for sure. The garlic mashed were good too but not great. The Caesar was wonderful, the best one I have had in a while.

We sat on the first floor in the main dining room. The music was in the speakers just above our table. It was so loud we could not converse, seriously, we asked that it be turned down twice which it was a little but then it went back up, so plan to eat there looking at eat other but if you want to talk to your dinner guests you need to shout or use sign language, it was that loud. Does this place want to be a nice upscale steak restaurant with a 80-100 CAD per person ticket or a bar? It needs to figure itself out.

Service was by a team of two, one guy was good the other not so much, and the one guy did not have a sense of humor either at all, and was not hospitable. He really didn't like that I was not putting a tip on the credit card bill but rather paying a tip in cash, for some reason.... The food came out really slowly, long ticket times, real long at each course.

The hostess could not have been more gracious as we had to change our number of people several times. She was great.

All in all an ok dinner, I read some of the other reviews, some were great, some not so much, I can see why the jury is mixed after my meal and experience there last night.

Not sure that I can recommend, I need more than just good food, the vibe, sound, service and ambience have to match and at this place they did not. Too bad.

1  Thank finesilver

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

La queue de cheval seems to be one of these restaurants we have to go to. We did, for lunch. Great menu. Great service. Fairly decent price. I would definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I don't typically dine at places like La Queue de Cheval because it's not in our budget. Eleven years ago we dined here with friends. Our friends loved it so much they bought us a gift certificate and 10 years ago we dined here again. This past January my husband was diagnosed with cancer and since January our lives have been a roller coaster. Two weeks prior to coming to Montreal for our annual trip a scan showed my husbands tumor didn't go away as well as expected it to. At that time he was scheduled for a very complex surgery, which of course, happened to be when we were to go to Montreal. Because of the complexity of the surgery we seeked a second expert opinion and that opinion was we were possibly jumping the gun on the surgery so to go under surveillance for now AND go to Montreal. We so needed this fun time away. Considering all the circumstances I decided we needed to splurge...and return to La Queue de Cheval. I wanted quality and ambiance. A quiet, romantic setting to spend time with my husband as I previously remembered. We were surprised to see the building moved, but no big deal. While we dined we were dismayed by the screaming and swearing coming from the owner to the cooks. We have never experienced a situation like this and sadly it ruined our last evening in Montreal. It was impossible to carry on any conversation with my husband besides about what we were seeing, because of the noise level, the tense staff, the constant bumping into our chairs, etc. I believe the food and wine were very good, but I didn't get to enjoy it or my husband as I intended to. At the end of the night we had a $646 bill to listen to constant staff belittlement. I wish we could have a redo at another restaurant to get the quality time I was looking for.

4  Thank JamieMarie
Zahir N, Public Relations Manager at La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Good Day Jame Marie,

We are deeply sorry to hear about the news of your loved one. We would have loved to give you a

a private section, if notice was given. Needless to say, you came to our establishment during Grand

Prix, which is known to be our busiest time of the year. The elevated sounds coming from the kitchen

from a lot of passion, love, and caring for the product coming out of that kitchen. It wasn't meant

to discourage or offend anyone including the kitchen staff, as they know and have worked with the chef

and his passion for years.

Regards.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Recommended this restaurant to the 8 traveling with me and I have rarely been this disappointed and embarrassed. Food quality was excellent but preparation was unworthy of a restaurant that has the reputation of Cheval. Steaks were cold or undercooked when presented and no better after they had been returned to the kitchen. Initial service was so slow that we sat for 3 hours for dinner. The Lamborghinis parked in front were the best part of this dining experience. This was my third F-1 dinner at this establishment but I will think long and hard before I reserve again. Mgt did adjust the check after we exchanged some strong words. Did not make for an enjoyable evening.

2  Thank James T
Peter M, Manager at La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for joining us during the Formula 1 Grand Prix in Montreal. It's a super busy weekend that sometimes minutes seem like hours. We are always working very hard on timing and commitment delivering the best product and service. It's unfortunate that we didn't succeed with you, but look forward to seeing you back next year, or during the year, too deliver to you the greatness of this steakhouse. Cheers

Reviewed 11 June 2018 via mobile

Overpriced wine list however it doesn’t matter as I asked for four different wines and none were available despite it being the F1 weekend.
A plastic place really with no substance just a veneer.
Steaks were not cooked to requested requirements, just cold despite being returned to the kitchen.
The waiter decided to pour our champagne for my wife and I for the whole table of 9 despite others having full cocktails in front of them. They did compensate us with 2 bottles of VC after some remonstration.
I’d avoid this unless you have a superficial facade to match, if that’s the case welcome to the Weekend Millionaire’s club!

1  Thank Huw P
sheepherder61, Manager at La Queue de Cheval Steakhouse and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2018

Thank you for joining us during the F1 Grand Prix weekend in Montreal. The Steakhouse was jammed and we try very hard to maitain the level of service and quality thru out this weekend, as we normally do. Wine selections become challenging thru-out the weekend as the volume of wine sold is incredible. We apologize for the selection that you faced but we do replenish daily to accomadate the guests thru out the weekend.