“Be careful when paying by credit card (or cash)”
Review of Belle Province

Belle Province
Ranked #1 718 of 6 244 Restaurants in Montreal
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Neighbourhood: Centre-Ville (Downtown)
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I've been here a few times (roughly 4 times) since my friend mentioned it to me and I really like Italian Poutines and I work relatively close by.

Previously I would have ranked them as 4 stars but after today's visit, I wasn't sure whether to give them 1 star or 2 stars (reduce their 4 stars which I was planning on giving them for my earlier visits to 2 stars). I decided to give them 1 star.

For my previous visits, I didn't have this issue (there was a lady manning the cash register those times) but today during my visit, I ordered my usual large Italian Poutine and this time I asked to have smoke meat on top of it for an additional ~$3+tax extra. The person today told me how much it costs (I wasn't paying too much attention) and when I went to pay with my credit card, he self-tipped himself ~25% and passed the credit card pad to me. So when I tapped my card on the machine, I got charged the cost of the item with a 25% "tip" on top of that which he selected. He also didn't give me the credit card receipt to hide the fact that he did this.

Normally unless I sit down and they give me the food to my table (or it is a buffet), I will rarely tip (except when paying cash and when I have loose change at these types of places). I feel that it is similar to tipping at a McDonald's or any other fast food place where I order at the counter, pay for the meal right away, they make my order and put it on the tray while I wait and then I take my tray to an empty table and eat.

For my visit today, after being told the price, I wasn't really paying much attention as I mentioned when the guy at the cash mentioned how much it costs since I was speaking with a co-worker. I saw a value on the credit card pad when he handed it to me so I tapped my credit card on their credit card machine pad. After I finished my meal, I took a look at the receipt from the cash register (which is a different receipt from the credit card machine receipt) and saw the itemized cost of everything. Looking at the charge on my credit card online when I got back to work, I noticed that I was charged ~25% higher on my credit card. As far as I could tell, the tip buttons went 15%, 20%, 25%, and $ where I normally tap $ and then hit the green button for no tip and the guy pushed the 25% button before handing me the credit card pad.

My itemized bill showed a cost of ~$16.50 (large Italian poutine with smoke meat on top along with a large drink) yet my online credit card showed a charge of ~$20.50!

IF YOU PAY BY CREDIT CARD AT THIS PLACE, YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT THEY MIGHT TRY TO PULL ON YOU! My friend told me that they also short change when paying with cash so be careful when paying with cash as well.

Other than that, the Italian smoke meat was very good (which explains my previous visits to this place). I wasn't crazy about the smoke meat used there. They did put quite a bit of smoke meat on top my my Italian Poutine but I just prefer a different type of flavour or type of smoke meat (their smoke meat was "wet" whereas I prefer the drier Schwartz's type smoke meat)

1  Thank lmcjipo

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

I feel like an Anthony Bourdain disciple. Stopped-in for a traditional poutine, for this diner was packed. They have the typical diner fare, but they are especially renown for their poutines and steamed hotdogs. Must say that the service is canteen style and they are quick. I was watching the hotdogs and burgers being prepared - they looked and smelled great. We had a traditional poutine. Excellent fries, the cheese curds were fresh and squeaky, and the gravy had a hint of bbq sauce (nice change). We thankfully ordered the small size serve...we couldn’t finish them. We highly recommend this place for good quality comfort food at bargain prices. We will return.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

This is my favourite Bell Province location in downtown Montreal. All though they are a chain they don’t all taste the same and the portion sizes are different. This one always has great fries and the poutine is one of the best with great size for the price. Service is always super quick and friendly. Whenever we come to Montreal we always come here at least once.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

A fast food restaurant serving breakfasts, burgers and poutine. If you're in a hurry and need a quick, filling meal, this is the place for you.

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Best savory meat -- I believe it's ham but could pass for brisket and the fries add all the delicious calories.

Other options as well, about 9$ range.