“Solid 3-day stay, superior proprietor, things to...”
other travellers have booked this property
Desk Work Station 42' Flat Screen TV
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Desk Work Station
42' Flat Screen TV
Microwave Fan and full 30' Stove.
Curio
Rain Shower Head.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
DaveR19
Biloxi, Mississippi
“Solid 3-day stay, superior proprietor, things to consider”
Reviewed 14 July 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

First and foremost, the proprietors of this rental condo, Linda and her husband Louis, are incredibly accommodating. Linda communicated with me repeatedly and promptly in the weeks leading up to my stay, answering all my questions so that I had nothing to worry about before my arrival.

As my arrival time would be variable (I came in to town by car), Linda provided me both her and Louis' cell numbers so that I could coordinate with them when I got into town. As it turned out, I got into town earlier in the day than I expected, and Louis was able to meet me at the property and provide me early access, and get me acclimated to the apartment and area. Linda also arrived shortly thereafter, and between the two of them were more than happy to answer any questions about the area and Montreal that I might have had.

Off-street parking is available alongside the property, worth every penny of the $10/day that the building security requires for this. (This is a separate charge beyond Linda's rental rates...bring Canadian cash for this.) So again, I had no worries in advance of having somewhere to dump my car for the duration of my visit.

The condo itself is as advertised. The building is safe and secure, and well-located to embark on foot throughout town (more on that shortly). The bed is firm and comfortable, everything "works" in the kitchenette, and the furnishings are what you need to make this a "home" during your stay. I discovered during my first night that a few of the household provisions were running a little low; I Emailed Linda the next morning and she dropped off a care package within hours that day, while I was out.

Some points to note that cost this review that precious 5th star are mostly out of the control of the proprietors, as follows:

(1) The sofa and easy chair in the living area sit pretty low, so if you're a tall person or occasionally suffer from back pain (I'm both!), it may be a little tough to get yourself out of them. (Again, the bed, by contrast, was just fine.)

(2) The air conditioner is located directly next to the bed, meaning you can use it to cool the apartment, but not while you're sleeping as it will blow directly at your head. The good news is that most of the year in Montreal you won't even need the A/C at all, and in July during my visit I was able to cool the apartment before bed, then turn the A/C off and open the door to the balcony for the night.

(3) The surrounding area was quiet during the night so no problems with the open balcony door, but nearby construction noise did begin promptly each weekday at 7AM, meaning that "sleeping in" was not an option. Not a problem for me as I'm an early-bird, but something to keep in mind if you're a late sleeper and if it's still keep-the-balcony-door-open season - ask Linda during your trip planning if the adjacent construction on Simpson Street is still occurring. (From what I could tell, if the balcony door is closed the construction noise shouldn't be a problem.)

(4) The bath/shower water pressure is, quite frankly, not very strong. The proprietors have installed a nice "rainfall"-type shower head which helps mitigate this, but it still takes a bit of time/effort to get your soap washed off and your shower completed. (The hot water temperature, however, is GREAT...no worries there.) If strong water pressure is very important to you, this is a show-stopper at this property. (I have minimal hair and so I was OK with it, but your tolerance to this may not be as manageable as mine.)

(5) Another possible show-stopper for you may be the "topographic compromise" you make for the convenient and safe location of this property. It is located in a truly delightful area at the foot of Mount Royal, but the immediately-local terrain in this neighborhood is STEEPLY HILLY. Local bus service is available right up the street (hill) on Docteur-Penfield or down the street (hill) on Sherbrooke, and the Guy-Concordia metro (subway) station is also conveniently located downhill about 4 blocks away. If you're like me and plan to explore Montreal on foot and mass transit (the best way to experience this town), you'd better be ready for the hills to get to/from this condo. The STRAIGHT UPHILL walk from the Guy-Concordia metro station after a long day on foot is a particularly cruel joke...ask me why I know this. (Now obviously, taxi or Uber rides could help you mitigate climbing these hills on foot...or you could work your day so that you return via the 144 bus, which runs on Dr-Penfeld eastbound or Ave Des Pins westbound, both of which are uphill from the condo and thus with an easier downhill walk back "home".)

With all of these pros and cons identified, I would certainly consider returning to this condo (or any of Linda's other properties) in the future, because she's GREAT and really cares about her properties and making her guests feel welcome and accommodated. This is a big factor to keep in mind in this rental property market space working with private owners, rather than hotel managers. Hopefully this review has proven to be even-handed enough to help other readers make a well-informed decision.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Proprietor commitment to a satisfying guest experience
Liked least: Water pressure and some of the furnishings
Travelling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
14 Jul 2016
Thanks for your great review.I'll check the shower to see if we can increase the water pressure. If I could move mountains that would take care of the hill, but then we would lose an important part of the charm of Montreal! As Jacques Cartier said .."Quel Mont Royale!"
dianenz20...
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“Lovely clean secure apartment. Handy to metro and restaurants.”
Reviewed 18 June 2016 for a stay in June 2016

So much better than a hotel. Store around the corner for supplies, good laundry.
We did have a mix up with dates and Linda tried to assist as best she could.
The apartment is a brisk uphill walk from metro and restaurants, not for those with limited
mobility.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
18 Jun 2016
Thank you!
purfickda...
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice large studio apartment close to everything”
Reviewed 28 December 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

This was our first visit to Montreal. the first leg of our Great North American adventure. We stayed here as a base to see the sights and attend our first ever Grand Prix. The apartment was laid out exactly as Linda described, it had all the necessary equipment and amenities that anyone would need for a short break. In comparison to other properties it was also good value as all rentals are expensive for the grand Prix weekend. the property is close to two metro stations and also a short walk to the area that is set out for the Grand Prix festival. we walked to the city centre in about 30 minutes. but the metro was about 5 minutes from the property and reached the city centre in about 10 minutes. the property is also a nice walk to the famous Mount royal park which i would highly recommend for a ramble if you have an hour or two to spare. Linda and her partner were courteous and friendly.They were friendly and helped out with recommendations for restaurants and directions. i would recommend this rental as an ideal getaway for a couple for a short break. it may however be a bit small to accommodate more than 2. However I would be surprised if you could find a superior property located as close to the city at a better price. i would visit this property if I was ever to visit Montreal again

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location, value
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Recommended for:
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
SueAL2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 19 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

Great location, quiet but close to the centre. Short walk to the art museum where we caught the excellent Rodin exhibition.
Picked up/dropped off
keys with security, no problem. Ideal for two people.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2015 for a stay in July 2015

18 Aug 2015
We look forward to your next visit to Montreal! Thank you.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing