Reviews (1 798)
1 800 results
All reviews union station york street great location cn tower rooms are small tim hortons across the street air canada centre rogers centre royal york executive room within walking distance short stay hockey hall of fame wi fi bed was comfortable heart of downtown the financial district
50 - 55 of 1 800 reviews
Reviewed 14 July 2018

My wife and I arrived in Toronto looking forward to enjoying Toronto and it's city. Upon arriving at The Strathcona Hotel Reception desk we were met by an employee that had no customer service whatsoever. Without even saying Hello or Welcome, the first thing they said was 'ID and Credit Card', no smile, nothing. Typing the whole time, never looked up at us.

This wouldn't necessarily be an issue, however there was an issue with our credit card not working properly with the hotel machine we believe likely due to our card being an International credit card. We only learnt this once we had been given our key and then made our way up to our room only to be called back to reception from our hotel room. We ended up using another card instead. The representative through all this hardly talked to us, looking very unhappy and very negative. We were spoken to as if we were idiots and the representative came across as if they hated their job.

After successful payment, we were not told anything about the final price with taxes for our stay for confirmation and hardly any information related to the $150 incidentals charge the hotel also puts onto your credit card which is returned after the stay. When asked about confirmation of prices and explanation on taxes she said to us 'You signed and received the email, did you not read it?' We were told nothing about the WiFi in the hotel until we managed to figure it out, nothing about the hotel, nothing about the amenities or services available.

Feeling somewhat baffled by why we were being treated this way with such a negative attitude occurring from this representative, we stated how it would have been nice to have been told about the WiFi, the room pricing, summarising incidentals and taxes etc. Even anything about the hotel amenities would have been nice. We stated that this attitude and behaviour came across as rude.

Saying this completely put this representative into attack mode and she was extremely defensive toward us. This person stated after saying how her behaviour comes across as rude by saying to my wife that 'Well, the feeIing is mutual.' We were shocked. I said that as someone who is paid for this position their attitude and behaviour completely surprises me as we are paying quite a large amount of money to stay here. The representative was so defensive and wanting to continue arguing that I said this is going in circles and ended the discussion. We told the employee we have NEVER EVER been spoken to in such a way or had customer service this terrible in a hotel, and we have travelled to many countries and stayed at many hotels.

The rest of the staff were helpful and we had no issues with them. The cleaning staff were far more friendly than this one person!

The rooms were clean and comfortable, if not rather expensive for what you get.

As we arrived in Toronto and received this terrible customer service, it left us angry and confused for some hours afterwards.

An ok hotel close to Union Station which is why we chose it, however don't expect to feel welcomed by staff.

This experience tainted the hotel so much we will never stay at The Strathcona Hotel again or recommend the hotel either.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Peterv5499
John A, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Good Morning Peter V,

Thank you for staying with us at The Strathcona Hotel while in Toronto. I'm so sorry and disturbed regarding your comments regarding the staff member you had encountered upon check in. Would you be so kind to call me at the hotel directly as I would like to talk to you about the situation at hand with more detail. I would like to make things right and see what I can do for you after I get more of the story. I sincerly hope to hear back from you so I can insure something like this never happens again to any of our future guests.

Reviewed 12 July 2018

This hotel has a perfect centric location close to Union station, Commerce court and all kinds of restaurants you need. The room with queen bed was perfectly clean that I loved most. It is small, but when you are in the city just for two nights it is ok. Special thanks to Mathew: he is a great communicator and customer specialist.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Oko O
John A, Guest Relations Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Greetings Oko O,

Thank you for choosing The Strathcona Hotel for your recent stay in Downtown Toronto. We are happy to see you enjoyed our central location as well as your room. We are particularly happy with the fact that our amazing staff made you stay memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,

Benjamin Mendoza

Reviewed 11 July 2018

Great location if you are just travelling for business and not looking to have the luxurious amenities. The rooms are great size, clean, and everything I needed. Didn't have a great view by the window as I'm looking as a concrete wall but I didn't care much since I was only there for a night. The reception are very helpful and friendly.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank Rocky M
John A, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Good Morning Rocky M,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Strathcona Hotel while in Toronto.I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future, and hopefully spend some more time at the hotel trying our amazing breakfast or even our great Pub.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

We took a train to the Union station, walked up a couple of blocks in 95 degree weather and we were there. The room was a bit small out of all of the ones we stayed at during our vacation. 2 queen beds in a room that was maybe 10ft by 15ft total.

There weren't enough outlets. Good thing we had brought a power strip with additional outlets. There weren't any USB charging ports either. One of the jacks had a non-working outlet. From the bed to the AC unit/wall was less than a foot of space. There was a refrigerator but no microwave. The bathroom was fine and there were shampoo and conditional built-into these inverted squeeze bottles bolted to the wall. For some reason, the soap was outside of the tub, next to the sink. There was a bathtub and shower.

The TV was analog, for some odd reason, even though the TV itself is a new-ish flat panel unit.

The staff was friendly and helpful. I'd recommend the hotel given its location. The smallness of the room was acute because we had a large group (5). For fewer people it'd be fine.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Wen L

Good Morning Wen L,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Strathcona Hotel while in Toronto. I'm very happy to hear the staff were friendly and helpful, we're always priding ourselves in giving the best possible service. I will take your comments into consideration as we will be starting our room renovations within the next year and a half, and we are always looking for ways to improve our guests experience.

Reviewed 9 July 2018

While staying at the Strathcoma, I used a LUSH bath oil which according to the sales person wasn't supposed to stain. It did as apparently the bathtubs in hotels have been scrubbed with so many abrasive cleaners that the surface is now porous. I told housekeeping about it and tried to clean it myself. The housekeepers told me not to worry and that they'll take care of it. I wasn't concerned as I was assured that they weren't concerned about it. Then the evening after I checked out, I found out that a charge of $339 was placed on my credit card. They didn't even have the courtesy to call me and explain the situation. Apparently, they were under no obligation to tell me about the charge as I had signed the form when I first checked in that I'll be responsible for damages. Hotel room was ok but customer service is zero.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisa201618
John A, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Good Morning Lisa201618,

Thank you so much for staying with us at The Strathcona Hotel while in Toronto. I'm so sorry as to how the situation was handled. You should have been notified prior to being charged. I will make sure to speak with the agent who charged your creidt card to insure the proper steps are taken moving forward, to make sure we are doing everything possible to improve our guests experience. The housekeeping and maintenance team did their best to remove the stain to avoid any additional charged but unfortunately they were unable to. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to have an exceptional stay with us.