“Authentic Indian cuisine by a noted chef”

Spice Indian Bistro
Ranked #2 397 of 9 396 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I had heard that Chef Debu Saha made a biryani worth having.
It was.
The restaurant is very much worth searching for. The address is Richmond, but the restaurant is actually half way up the block towards Queen Street.
We had friendly service.
The food was divine. I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 23 May 2018

Having recently travelled in India and having eaten at some of the highest rated restaurants in Delhi I can honestly say that this restaurant has food that is as good if not better than those. I don't know why the Vindaloo is so underplayed on the menue as it is amazing.

My only negative comment is that the front of house does not match the quality of the food. The service is erratic and can be slow and the wine list is minimal but it is worth putting up with the service for the food. This was our second visit, and the food was even better the second time, the service was not.

The other piece of advise is that although the address is on Richmond the entrance is actually on Sherbourne north of Richmond.

Reviewed 3 May 2018

I try a lot of Indian restaurants, but many have the same dishes (with little variations) and if the food and service are ok (neither good nor bad) I don’t write a review (in my opinion they do their job: dishes aren’t exceptional and can’t complain about the servers). Spice Indian Bistro is NOT your average restaurant.

The first thing I noticed was cardamom in the mango lassi, this improved the flavor.

I asked the chef for a recommendation and he suggested the seafood Miramar.
I am used to thick curries, and this looked like a soupy Thai curry (where they add coconut milk, modifying the sauce to a liquid consistency). Even though the appearance was not what I was expecting, the taste was very good (incomparable to anything previously tasted) and the spice level was exactly how I ordered it.

Chef’s recommendation was to try a vindaloo dish on my next visit. Looking at an adjacent table (where it was ordered) I could see why.
A little expensive (although I tried the dinner menu and there were several lunch specials), but if I am back in the area I will definitely return.