2 people are viewing this hotel
2 075
1 116
2 075
1 116
All reviews gold floor zoe's lounge byward market rideau canal beautiful hotel classic hotel parliament hill deluxe room ottawa river war memorial valet parking an upgrade national gallery visiting ottawa laurier concierge canada
Selected filters
2 - 7 of 4 087 reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2021

Awesome location, very welcoming staff. Definitely recommend having lunch or dinner at the ByWard Market. It is very easy to access the hotel and you will find many activities around. The room was good and it felt great staying at such a historical place.

Date of stay: March 2021
Review collected in partnership with fairmont.com
Reviewed 22 March 2021

I stayed at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier for two nights with my seven year old kids for a staycation. Overall it was an ok trip, but not the indulgent luxury hotel experience I was expecting. To start with - hotel parking is $40/day. That would be fine, except the parking is around the corner and down the street. So I had to park with my kids and drag my suitcase and bags and try to supervise my kids all while going all the way down the street after a long car ride.
Check-in was easy.
I booked a junior suite. The room we were given was literally a ten minute walk from the elevators. Once in an elevator, it was all the way down two long hallways - farthest room from elevator possible. And the keys they gave us didnt work twice - so that is all the way to the lobby again to get new keys, then all the way back up again (with bags!)
Finally, housekeeping decided to vacuum and move furniture in the room above us at 730 am on Saturday morning. We complained and it stopped but we were already awake.
When I called in the morning to see if we could get the trolley for our suitcases, I was told that no one was available. Also - pool is freezing...
For $1000 for two nights, I expected much better service and professionalism. I wouldnt have written this post if someone had actually addressed my complaints, but I complained twice with an inadequate response the first time and no response the second time.
Its a perfect location and a beautiful hotel, but not anywhere close to the service and professionalism you would expect.

Reviewed 18 March 2021 via mobile

We arrived last Thursday evening in the dark with an oversize vehicle and we were told to park at the back of the hotel.

We could not temporarily park at the front nor could we drop off our luggage and there were no luggage carts or staff to assist us.

As we were there on business we had our laptop bags, luggage and files and we had to take repeated trips in the dark in the cold and then ip the ramp as all the doors in the hotel are locked due to covid.

The doors remain locked during the entire stay but at least on Friday and Saturday night they had doorman that were there to assist vacationers vs business clients.

We enjoy the hotel, the amenities, the food, and usually the service and we will return, but this was certainly not even a three star hotel because of this horrible beginning to our three day almost $1500.00 stay.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 11 March 2021 via mobile

We needed to go to Ottawa , at the last minute decide to go a day early and not that we have bucket list. Always planned on spending a night here. Things are a little different due to the pandemic. Great place to spend the evening with all the history.The room was really nice with the old solid doors great halls. The toiletries were top notch. Check out the lobby with the old photos of the many noted guests . It is situated right beside the parliament of Canada. You have to park your car yourself . We parked at the Rideau Centre . You have to carry your bags yourself due to the conditions in the world . By ward market a short walk . Really glade we spent an enjoyable evening here

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2021 via mobile

We had recently returned from an annual trip to Florida and plodded drearily through the government’s Covid quarantine process; and while I’d like to kick them hard, in a place that hurts, this is not the proper forum...suffice to say after two weeks of imposed isolation, in late February, we were ready to find a reason for some celebration and our March wedding anniversary seemed the perfect opportunity for an overnight holiday.

Ottawa is just an hour’s drive away and we have had great experiences previously at FAIRMONT Chateau Laurier so it was our opening call. From the first exchange on the telephone, I knew we had made the right choice. I try to always talk to the people actually at the hotel to make the reservations, vis-a-vis the national or global sales department because the locals know what’s happening on their own turf in much more detail than the folks @ “head office”. The young man, Christian I think, was very open about the pluses and minuses of the hotel’s Covid rules, but steered us in the right directions for all the arrangements. It was a mid-week overnight, so he gave us a well discounted room price as well as a splendid room on the top floor with a lovely view of the river and Laurentian mountains beyond. He also made us dinner reservations @ Zoe’s, advising the ambiance may be quieter there for a romantic anniversary dinner...and were we glad for that piece of advice as well.

Just imagine our surprise when, upon arriving at the dining room for an early drink, Amanda the manager (whom we had never met before) wished us “Happy Anniversary” and asked if the chef could tell us about an idea for a special dinner presentation from things already on the menu...WOW!!! After a brief discussion with Executive Chef Louis about the details, we were shown to a window table, complete with a beautiful flower arrangement (thanks to Amanda). Excellent Caesar Salads followed, and a lovely bottle of wine was poured, previously decanted by Rob at the bar. Then Chef Louis re appeared with dinner...the filet mignons from the menu had been combined into a perfectly rare Chateaubriand and sliced. It was accompanied with three beyond wonderful sauces...Bearnaise, Peppercorn & Bordeaulaise...and surrounded by a medley of vegetables. It was a beautiful presentation and we felt so special that the staff would have gone out of their way to really make our dinner so memorable. WOW AGAIN. Dinner was hot, tasty and thoroughly enjoyable. The finishing touch was a lovely dessert (complementary) that we devoured in short order.

The bill came to $250, including a $50 corkage charge which, given all the service efforts and first class food, seemed very reasonable to us. More to the point, we were struck by the fact that in an environment which this hotel...all hotels...are losing money hand over fist because of the Covid pandemic, each of Fairmont staff that we encountered (at all levels) seemed to want to make our hotel experience special. As I have mentioned in other reviews of different Fairmont properties, this hotel chain has the right formula for hiring people...and we love going there!

Thanks Fairmont! We had a terrific anniversary.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple