“Very Disappointing and Very Poor Value”
Review of The Epicurean

The Epicurean
Reserve with OpenTable
The Epicurean is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$5 - US$29
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Arrived early for lunch...4 of us. Second table to be seated in the entire restaurant, both inside and outside dining. We ate outside and it was a really lovely atmosphere. Server was very pleasant. We ordered smoked salmon for the appetizer (it was good) and we ordered our lunch at the same time. We ordered two of the specials for the day (grilled cheese & ham sandwiches), a Caesar salad, and fish and chips. Not a complicated order. Salmon came and we ate it. Then we waited...and waited..and waited...and waited!! MANY people were seated around us who were served quickly. Many around us ate and left. More were seated. The server kept telling us our food was coming soon! Food finally came. Grilled cheese tasted worse than the grilled cheese I eat at our local TripleA Baseball Park! I asked the server what the heck happened with our order and she said they got slammed and she has no control over how the kitchen sends out the orders. I reminded her we were the second table seated. I asked to talk to the manager. He apologized and then went on about how they try to prepare their food so it is as fresh as possible. I told him what we ordered....and I guess they decided other guests’ orders should be more fresh than ours!!! He had nothing but excuses. Totally unacceptable. I do not recommend this restaurant. Very disappointing. Very poor value.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We had a really good dinner here.
We did not make a reservation but were just walking by the atmosphere is nice and the portions were very good.
Our waiter was very nice it was a great meal.

1  Thank KNGD
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

We had lunch here outside the back patio of the restaurant. It was a lovely comfortable setting. I had the flatbread which was exceptionally good. Another of our party who was a visitor to Canada enjoyed the fish and chips. Our third member liked his burger but said it was not the best. The most outstanding aspect was the servers who were fun and chatty making the experience a great one.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Stumbled upon this restaurant whilst looking for somewhere to have a decent evening meal with friends. I say stumbled but I mean enticed by the enthusiastic 'George' who was front of house. The menu was a little limited for me but they made up for this with good food that was in my view reasonably priced. Friendly and efficient staff supplemented the entertaining "Big, bold, beautiful flavours" promised by George.

1  Thank 556Alias
Reviewed 23 June 2018

I ate at Epicurean on a recent Wednesday in June. My friend and I were at Niagara on the Lake with a tour group, however, we were on our own for lunch. We looked at several menus while we walked around town. None of them "spoke" to my friend. Epicurean was recommended by a few people on the bus and she liked the menu. I had the Epi Burger. When the waiter took my order (who was lovely!) he didn't ask how I wanted it cooked, and I forgot to say. It came well. I'm a medium girl. So, for me, it was over cooked. I can't tell you what the roll was, but I can tell you it wasn't a traditional hamburger or brioche roll. It was more artisan. It came with fries and a salad. The fries were small in size (just an FYI) and cooked well. Not too crispy. Not under cooked either. The salad that came with it (on the same plate) was small (arugula, a cherry tomato, two long, thin slices of cucumber, and a small ring of onion), but the dressing... The dressing was amazing. No idea what it was. And, again, forgot to ask. But, I'd guess, from reading their menu, it's the Raspberry Vinaigrette). I'd go back just for the salad.
My friend had their Roast Beef Sandwich, which I'd considered ordering. When it arrived, I was glad I didn't. Their menu stated it had a Red Wine au ju. However, it looked more like a gravy (I don't like gravy), and a server called it gravy. But my friend, who likes gravy, really liked the sandwich. As well as the "gravy". So much so, she ordered a side of it for her fries. She also liked the dressing on the salad.
We sad outside, in front. We didn't know there was a back patio / garden area until we overheard a hostess (different from the one who sat us) offer it to other guests. We were fine with sitting out front. We were able to people watch.
If I went back to NOTL, I'd probably try a different restaurant instead of returning to Epicurean. Unless I was in the mood for salad. Salad...

1  Thank pwrwhls1