“Meh”
Review of El Jefe

El Jefe
Ranked #743 of 1 810 Restaurants in Mississauga
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Nice weather so we randomly stopped at this place because it seemed pretty cool. We waited probably 10 minutes after being seated to be served. We ordered red sangria and guacamole. The sangria was amazing and the guac wasn’t very good. It was missing something that we couldn’t quite put our fingers on. I always love places that mix it at the table so that was pretty cool. Just wished it had tasted better.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went when they first opened and loved it so much that I told all my friends and went back lots. I hadn’t been In a while and I remember they had a good deal for taco Tuesday.... but I guess they changed the menus.. They have taken off so many of the amazing items that I loved. Deep fried avocado dish, certain tacos have changed, queso and more! So tonight all the waiters were just standing around the tiki bar took them a while to come and serve us. Then we got our tacos... they use to pack them with so much and now barely got any toppings. My calamari was burnt to a crisp. Took them almost 15 mins to make me a new one. They never compensated for that taco and then they tried to charge us the regular price and not the taco Tuesday deal.

Very upset... don’t think i will go back

1  Thank Holly L
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went in with high expectations as I’ve heard great things. It was pretty packed and our server was lovely but they were clearly understaffed. The guacamole was pretty good, needed some more lime & salt though. Had to grab our own cutlery but she was busy so it’s fine. The real disappointment were the tacos. Probably the worst fish taco I’ve ever had, tasted like a fish stick. The pork one was decent, and the shrimp one was fantastic. I wish we had gotten 3 of that one. Server was nice, service was as average as the food. Would try this place again as I had high hopes.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I've visited El Jefe once in the past, and wanted to celebrate a family birthday. We arrived at 3pm on a Sunday, there was no one to greet us at the hostess stand. It wasn't particularly busy- so we waited around for a bit with a couple other groups who had arrived. We were told the wait would be about 35 mins for a patio table. We ordered some drinks at the bar from a gentlemen who we then discovered was the "bar manager" and moved outside to wait while listening to the band. The gentlemen barely answered our questions about the drink menu and was very clearly annoyed, or in all honesty, didn't look happy to be working there at all.

The music was about the only good thing about our experience unfortunately. There were numerous tables cleared after about 30 mins of waiting and no one had come to seat us so we sat ourselves. Once we finally sat, it took about 10 mins to get a menu.
After we ordered we waited about 30 mins for our food! Once our food arrived, my tacos were cold and had very clearly been sitting out because the waiting staff was too bothered to run food as they were all talking and eating behind the tiki bar outside in plain view. I told my server about the cold tacos, and she apologized and brought them back.

By the time my tacos came back out, the rest of my party had already finished their meals. To our surprise, when the tacos arrived for the 2nd time, they were STILL also cold. We spoke to the bar manager, Mitchell, who argued that the tacos weren't cold. We asked him to touch them, and he then acknowledged that they were- and when we asked him if this was correct- he answered they shouldn't be this way and he would take care of it.

While I waited again for my food, it was very obvious we had made a scene with the staff, and they all gathered around the same wooden bar on the patio, including the "bar manager", and spoke right in front of us about the situation. They were laughing, and when a new server came over to the group- it was clear that they were pointing us out and repeating the story.

The food came back out for the 3rd time, and the tacos were fine. Really not the greatest, and I'm not saying that because of the experience- I was expecting more. They waived the tacos from the bill at the end, but there was no real apology, if anything they seemed to really be making fun of us the whole time. I'm wondering if one of them went to a restaurant that treated them the same way if they would have expected a similar treatment?

I'm very disappointed with my experience here... it's such a great summer spot with such great potential. We weren't asking for the moon, we were really just asking for (what you are supposed to receive), service and food. None of which really happened unfortunately. There was no customer service from the moment we stepped in the building, no one greeted us, sat us, or really cared. Really too bad.

2  Thank Isabelle W
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Beautiful decor, good service, and even better shots for a decent price! I definitely will be going back in summer to check out the patio.