“Group for dinner, unique menu, great service”
Review of The Diplomat

The Diplomat
Ranked #219 of 1 361 Restaurants in Hamilton
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Group of us went after a demo from our software company. The menu is unique and has dishes that you don't see everywhere. I had the short run and my colleague had the cauliflower "steak". We both really enjoyed our meals, and our appetizers, chicken nuggets (not KFC) and devilled eggs. Dessert was sticky toffee pudding for me, and she had the chocolate cake. Again both were tasty.

Would definitely go here again if I return to Hamilton.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a Great meal here. The atmosphere is great as is the food and service. I had chicken that was very nice and the portion size was great too. I would definitely return.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went to the Diplomat with a couple of my closest friends. We heard the hype and of course followed the trend to taste and experience this new venue. I enjoyed my steak - cooked perfectly and drown in a yummy zesty vinegarette. My friend is a vegan and was overwhelmed by the options. I will be back!

Reviewed 18 May 2018

This latest addition to Hamilton's downtown King William Street dining scene offers excellent service and ambience. The food, however, is not much to rave about.

When we arrived at the Diplomat, we were greeted and seated promptly. The large open space with its high ceilings offers cushiony casual seating down front, open onto the street in summer. Further inside, a variety of comfortable seating surrounds a large central bar. Unlike most restaurants, the space has a light and airy feel, with lots of room between tables to allow for quiet conversation.

Our server, Kate, arrived promptly and explained the menus. The food menus offered a variety of shared plates and starters, including a large selection of Vegan and Vegetarian dishes. Although the menus offered a variety of "creative" selections, we opted for more "standard" fare. We chose to share the Argentinian shrimp skewers to begin, followed by the "Burger Royal" for my wife and the 12-ounce "Heritage Pork Chop" for myself. The wine list was quite extensive, but a little pricey by Hamilton standards, so from their house wine selection we ordered a bottle of red Pays d' Oc, which proved to be good value.

The wine and then the shrimp arrived in relatively short order. The grilled shrimp proved to be a disappointment – although hot and spicy, they were overcooked and difficult to get out of the shell. The one I tried was dry, and my wife's was soft and mealy. Kate was quick to notice our reluctance to eat the shrimp, and promptly took them back to the kitchen – no charge.

Our mains soon arrived. My wife's burger (smoked cheddar, bacon, lettuce, tomato) was nicely presented with a huge side of good fries and aioli for dipping. My pork chop was also nicely presented with a side of celeriac and brussel sprout hash, and a smattering of chimichurri sauce. The chop was pink and succulent, the sauce great with it, but the hash was greasy and very bitter tasting.

The positives – the service was excellent (Kate was great!); the ambience was appealing; the wine was good; the food (to be "diplomatic") was at best just OK.

1  Thank bman222
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Had an excellent dinner at the Diplomat. The shisito peppers were delicious. The Jerusalem artichoke soup was creamy. The gnudi were very tasty.