“Not what I expected”

Inferno's on Academy
Ranked #113 of 1 712 Restaurants in Winnipeg
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: They have an established sister restaurant called Inferno's Bistro which is located at 312 Des Meurons Rue in Winnipeg.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

It's our Valentine's day tradition to go for dinner at Inferno's on Des Meurons. We have been doing this for the last 6 years. This year, we decided to change it up and went to the Academy location as it is newer and bigger, but NOT better. The ambience was nice but the food was not the greatest. The mushroom gravy was very salty and the asparagus was burnt. The steak was ok but it wasn't the melt-in-your-mouth type deal like the other location ALWAYS have. Best part was telling dessert. Can't go wrong with Bavarian cream pie. It was basically an over-priced mediocre dinner and it was pretty disappointing as I looked forward to this dinner all day. You can Google the reviews on it...it seemed to have a better rating there. Just FYI, there's better restaurants in Winnipeg which offer free parking and better food than this one. Parking around this area is atrocious.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went there based upon menu choice and reviews from Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed either with my selection of restaurants.

I started off with a beer as recommended by the waitress and it had a good body and finish.

As I looked over the menu I was impressed by their unique options available that are not what I would call “standard”. I immediately was drawn to the frogs legs as I do not often get to enjoy them and they sounded great. I was very happy with the taste and the overall appeal of the dish. The breading could have been a bit crispier but that was not a major point of concern.

For my main I chose the fish stuffed with seafood that was covered in a rich cream sauce. Very decadent and tasty but not for one who is watching their calories.

The desert options were plentiful but in the end I went with the house made strawberry bavarian cream pie. One word - scrumptious!

I would definitely go here again and I highly suggest this for a family or for a date night.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Looking for a great place to enjoy a fine meal with some of Winnipeg’s great solo duo and trios. U should try Inferno’s on Friday or Tuesday otherwise visit any other night. Don’t forget half price appetizers on Friday after 9. Music starts at 8!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

INFERNO is a classic! Having the second generation involved might cause some problems if they don't react fast.
Food is still fantastic, and people working there look like they enjoy it, and that is very cool.
If you plan to organize a corporate event.....they dont have the best policy. Ask all the details in advance otherwise...you will have a big surprise!

Reviewed 8 February 2018

We visited this resto on a whim for the newly launched Chicken Fest. We were not overwhelmed by the food but blown away by the service. Arriving at peak hours on a Saturday night, we were quickly seated. Our beverage orders were taken and arrived speedily. We had already decided to order their entry into the Fest, so orders were taken and the food arrived speedily. I was impressed they served Soup and Salad ahead of the main. So often in these packaged menu days they arrive together. The soup was divine. Wish that had carried to the main.

The chicken was a disappointment. It was as if by frying it in Moroccan seasoning they had achieved their goal - participation in the event. Sorry. It was not really fried chicken and not up to this group's high standards. I recommend you either work with the Fried Chicken genre or stay out of this event.

We love this chain and will be back, just not for this. I recommend you stay our of this event. On a positive note, your staff excel. Great service, timely appearances, and a thoroughly delightful personality.