“One Revision”

Canadian Museum for Human Rights
Ranked #3 of 171 things to do in Winnipeg
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Canada's new national museum is a unique exploration of the importance of human rights. Interactive digital technology, video, film and art are designed to educate and inspire. An unforgettable visitor experience in a stunning new architectural icon. Open 7 days a week from late May to early September, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Open Wednesdays until 9 p.m. Closed Mondays (except holidays) from September to May. Guided tours available.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I reviewed the Museum with one reservation: I wrote it had a RIGHT WING viewpoint...I MISPOKE...intended to say LEFTWING...this was based upon the exhibit of the Quebec Crisis, which we experienced first hand when there was an explosion in our Ottawa hotel room and a switchboard operator (retro) was killed in a DND building. I. and many others were not sympathetic to the FLQ whose "rights" were abused...sending them to Cuba was probably not too appropriate. I will revisit the Museum next month and go to exhibits in detail. particularly the GENOCIDE room which reflects my recent reading about Rwanda.
By the way an Aid worker says the refugees inRwanda are best treated of most...adobe for one hut per person and she has hired a survivor whose parents were massacred...a fine young man who will work with refugees.
I do not know whether this review is appropriate but it is important to me...no change was accepted beforen despite my request. It is a museum everyone should see and the interactive aspect does give us the possibility of playing "Devil's Advocate".

1  Thank Heather B
Write a ReviewReviews (2 095)
All reviews
"stunning building"
in 24 reviews
"guided tour"
in 78 reviews
"museum for human rights"
in 25 reviews
"elevator"
in 168 reviews

170 - 174 of 2 095 reviews

Reviewed 26 June 2018

We are all victims. We are all perpetrators (enablers by doing nothing, inadvertently or otherwise). The traveling Mandela exhibit was a powerful reminder of all this. His cautionary words about freedom being a journey, not a destination, uttered in 1994 are prescient and haunting. The Museum is brilliant! Expect to spend 3-4 hours - take water. Wear good shoes, this is a dynamic place that encourages reflection, recognition, understanding, acceptance and forgiveness. Highly-recommended - not to be missed.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

Amazing architecture. From darkness to light. How creative. Makes you think, feel.
Too much ro see in one visit. Recommend a guided tour on first visit.
Discover something new every time I go. Have gone over a dozen times.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

This building is phenomenal. The top floor is all glass with beautiful views of the City. There is a ramp walkway down surrounded by glass. The Museum itself is amazing. The graphics on each floor are worth the visit. The first floor , right now, is housing the Nelson Mandela apartheid era. It will son travel around the world. The upper floors contain Human Rights issues relating to and committed by Canada and other Countries. Each floor has a “guide”. They are a world of knowledge and so eager to share their information with anyone who asks a question. Very impressed with the entire setup. We did not take the guided tour, but visited with the “guides”on each floor. We spent 3+ hrs there and could have spent more time. I would definitely recommend if in the area

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

A lot of thought has been put into this museum. The docents are passionate and knowledgeable about the exhibits. Because we were in town for business we only had time for a quick 2 hour tour. I could easily have spent double that time as there was so much to take in.
The building itself is a unique structure (I discovered it is pictured on the new Canadian $10 bills - cool!). Walking up the illuminated ramps allows time for reflection between floors. At the beginning you enter into dim rooms/spaces as you explore our world's long history of oppression, colonialism, dictatorships, genocides, and other practices that even now, continue to divide, oppress and strip people of the dignity. As you move up one floor at a time more light and openness occurs as the story of human rights evolves and you are made aware of the movements, big and small, towards action and advocacy. Truly inspiring!