“Very good Sushi and Cooked Foods”

MASA Japanese restaurant
Ranked #862 of 4 040 Restaurants in Vancouver
Price range: US$1 - US$14
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Neighbourhood: South Granville
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited for a convenient girls' night out dinner - lots of food options for all palates. Veggies, protein, bait or sashimi, and other carbs of course. Nice portions for small appetites so order a few dishes if you're a big eater. Service is not so attentive but if you can socialize and deal with that, you'll be fine.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Located on the second floor so not sure if any elevator access. The service was good and attentive. I had a miso ramen and spinach gomae to squeeze a vegetable in. Both items were good and I was done within an hour on a Thursday night no problem as I had limited time.

Reviewed 2 May 2018

I am a professional chef with years of cooking experience, and I think Masa is a true gem. Born and raised in Vancouver (the birthplace of the BC roll and California roll), I've been quite spoiled when it comes to Japanese cuisine, and if I say so myself, I am an excellent critic when it comes to sushi.

I've learned that the beauty of sushi emerges from it's simplicity; I can tell the quality of a restaurant simply by the texture and firmness of the rice, how tightly the sushi is rolled, how apparent the seam is, the filling to sauce ratio, and the quality of the fish (the most obvious telltale, but each of these factors alone can indicate quality, or lack of), and never cease to be amazed by Masa's commitment to quality. The fish is always fresh, and they offer higher-end items such as blowtorched Aburi sushi. As a family run restaurant, they definitely live up to their name, as "Masa" is translated to "honest".

Furthermore, all of the staff recognize me and greet me warmly whenever I drop by- one of the chefs occasionally brings me complimentary dessert for being a regular. I have been a loyal customer to Masa for years; for their price range, the quality of their sushi is unparalleled. For a restaurant that is only slightly more expensive than your typical, lacklustre hole-in-the-wall with crap food, Masa puts other similar Japanese restaurants, which pale in comparison, to shame, with their fantastic food, great dining room, and warm service.

I highly recommend Masa to all sushi lovers!

Reviewed 19 April 2018

We ordered two vegetarian meals. After waiting quite a while we were finally served a chicken dish and a beef dish. Server took the meals back and we were eventually served the meals we ordered. Food was tasty but certainly not the best Japanese I have had. I am not likely to return.

Reviewed 12 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I dropped by for lunch. She had the Tonkatsu Curry with rice dish and I had the Tonkotsu Ramen noodle soup. That’s not a typo. TonkAtsu means pork cutlet while TonkOtsu means pork bones. My soup broth is prepared by boiling pork bones in water for a long time.
Service was friendly and prompt. Both dishes were tasty. Experience definitely earned a return visit.

1  Thank Gary W