“a disappointing, mediocre, inefficient cafe, often with long-standing dirty tables”
Review of Truffles Cafe

Truffles Cafe
Ranked #1 134 of 4 135 Restaurants in Vancouver
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Shaughnessy
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I have been many times, because it's the only cafe at Van Dusen gardens, and I am always annoyed by how badly it is run. Line-ups to order can last for 20 minutes, many tables are left dirty for long periods and the food is only so-so. They need to hire an efficiency expert to overhaul the operation, and a new manager.

1  Thank Maureen615

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

Environment, ambience is great. Not too busy, beautiful van Deussen Garden scenery.

Food choice is limited, but more than Starbucks but less than Tim Hortons. Seats are not the most comfortable, tables wobble. Both SB and TH and many other coffee places are better.

Service is average, and they expect tips even for cafeteria type service.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

We had a late lunch of sandwiches, quiches, croissants etc. which were all tasty and the servings generous. Some of the bread was a little dry (like it had been sitting out for a while). Drinks (beer) were not very cold. Staff were friendly. There is no table service and not all patrons cleared their tables after dining so we had to clear away other people's rubbish to sit down. But overall, it was enjoyable and a nice place for lunch.

Reviewed 4 May 2018 via mobile

Venue is always nice.

Menu is getting a bit dated after a few visits.

Large size coffee cups all broken, as I recalled my last visit two months ago, they had only two left. Today none. Last time I ordered a large coffee, and ended up having two medium size coffee, one after the other, with much arguement with barista. Today I did not have the time or energy to argue, just ordered a medium size, but reminded them that they have been out of large cups for awhile, and that they should not put the large size on the menu board when they cannot serve it. Let's see how well would it take this time to order these cups.

All new staff, new uniforms, not sure if it is a new owner and management.

Furniture is a bit dated as well.

If it were not in the Van Deussen Gardens, perhaps I would not return there any more.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

This cafe is located in the visitor centre of the VanDusen botanical gardens. We were counting on a nice lunch in a beautiful calm setting, but the experience left me extremely annoyed. We arrived just after 1 pm on Sunday afternoon. The place is essentially a cafeteria with some items displayed behind a glass counter and additional items listed on a menu board available for special order prices were reasonable but not displayed for some items. Selection can't be made until you reach the cashier who frequently left his post to make fancy coffees, disappear into the kitchen and make sure customers have lots of time to make new friends with others waiting in line. I think he processed about a dozen orders in the 40 minutes we waited to place our order. After another 15 minute wait with our simple order (quiche and a wrap) not delivered to the table I found it was waiting in the kitchen and insisted that I take it although the staff member said it was not ready. The food itself was acceptable, but definitely not worth the wait. Enjoy the gardens but if you want a quick bite, stop somewhere before you go there.

1  Thank Old_TR