“Affordable French”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

2nd time to this bistro - definitely need reservation and go there knowing in advance that you have a 2 hour reservation time so that if you are looking for a longer time than choose another restaurant. The food is very good (Duck Confit and Beef Tenderloin,for our mains and Chocolate Mousse for dessert) Service is attentive but not overbearing. We did not feel rushed - experienced wait staff make the difference. Corkage fees are hefty if you bring your own bottle ($25.00) but maybe that is not out of line with other restaurants? Mains and dessert are reasonably priced

Reviewed 29 March 2018

First time for both of us: We had a reservation in the (very) small room next door at a two-person table tucked into a corner. We both liked that room better than what we saw of the bigger, much noisier room. We started with cocktails--my Le 16 was a beautiful revelation--intricate but very nuanced. We had two specials (Steelhead tartare, duck breast), and two things from the regular menu (boudin noir, veal shank parmentier). Each and every one of them was amazing. The sauces and purees, in particular, whether complex or simple, were perfect, and perfectly suited to the individual dishes. They lifted each of the relatively traditional preparations to a newer, higher profile. If force to choose, I'd say don't miss the tartare or the boudin noir. The servings, for the prices, were very large. We could have easily shared only two or three dishes, but the food was so good we simply ate it all, anyway.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

This was an excellent place to dine. It’s a cozy, neighbourhood restaurant that serves amazing french food. We started off with a bacon puff pastry tart - light and flavourful, and a pork pate with lightly pickled vegetables - tasty. We then ordered steak frites - herb butter sauce melts in your mouth, duck confit - moist duck over greens with potatoes, moules frites - mussel broth rich, and veal shank - gravy, mushrooms and mashed potato patty complimented the veal. Fries were crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. We shared the creme brule and chocolate mousse. Both very creamy and delicious. One of the best meals we’ve ever eaten. Service great too. We will be back!

Thank D. W
Reviewed 20 March 2018

We were really looking forward to our dinner tonight....but standing outside after our meal, we looked grimly at each other and agreed it had been disappointing.

This is a very popular restaurant...my Steak frites was amongst the best I have enjoyed in Vancouver, otherwise the meal was just 'ok.'

I think the staff are being pressed by the management to rush things. Our server seemed to me a nice person. I would also say, when I wanted another glass of wine...I never had to wait long to catch the eye of our server.

But we felt rushed by her...twice I had to say no I did not want my unfinished meal to be taken away. Clearly those patronizing the restaurant need to fit their tight schedule for filling their tables and responding to seating their next reservation.

It simply was not a good visit for my friend and I who rarely get to spend a nice meal together because the vibe we got from all the servers is that everything was 'rush rush.'

So I shall continue to patronize restaurants that allow two folks to enjoy a lovely meal and not to feel we are not eating or drinking our meal fast enough for them.

Until I hear from friends who have been there recently that they enjoyed a lovely relaxed evening enjoying good food and wine, I will chose restaurants that provide that kind of evening for my time and money.

Reviewed 28 January 2018

Such a charming and cozy French bistro. A little tight for space, but that just adds to the feel. Filet de Boeuf was divine, so flavourful, as was the warm chevre salad. The french onion soup missed the mark a bit by not having the complex beef broth one would expect, and instead having a bit lighter and sweeter broth with the addition of bacon, but it was still well made and nicely presented. Great evening in a lovely space.