All reviews denny's restaurant tower suite orchard park mall older part bed and pillows small kitchen pool and hot tub living room hockey tournament central location full kitchen moxies dishwasher roomy highway wineries
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I have driven past this hotel for many years on my way to and from Vancouver and was always impressed by the tower and the name Sandman on it. This year I decided to stop for 3 nights. I reserved 2 rooms. The front desk staff was great, no problems there, but we had to carry our luggage to the bottom floor room.,looking onto the swimming pool. There is no person elevator, but many little steps up and down, with one long staircase going down to the lowest floor. I had a 2nd floor room which is actually the mainfloor, Common complaints for both rooms are noisy AC window units, tired (old) furniture, dust on the table and counters. Dirty and clean laundry carts were parked in the hallway. Strong smell of chlorine from the swimming pool, unable to open the curtains, because the room across from you could look in. The tower is for King rooms and suites.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower if you can afford it, the atrium rooms are not good value
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
KelownaManager, General Manager at Sandman Hotel & Suites Kelowna, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. We take time to read your reviews and take action accordingly. We have 2 buildings and 220 rooms to choose from so I am certain that we can find the room for you. Feel free to contact me directly and allow me to make a reservation for you citing your preferences and needs; I am sure that we can make this a Good choice for you.
Thank you for mentioning our Great Front Desk Team. We are all here to make your hospitality experience a good one.

Reviewed 24 June 2018

We arrived between 4 and 5 and there were 4 people behind the front desk checking in guests. However, it was still 10 min or so before it was my turn -- which was not good because we had a screaming infant in the car. The front desk staff were professional and friendly, as one would expect. I was shocked when we were told there was no elevator -- not easy to do when carting a car seat, luggage and everything else an infant needs.

We got to our room and I knew I couldn't stay in it because it smelled so badly of dog (I'm allergic).

While my daughter fed and changed the baby, I went back to the front desk (no-one waiting to be checked in then) and asked to change rooms.

The next room smelled better but there were stains on the bathroom tile, the grout needed a good cleaning and the shower rod was coming out of the wall. The black carpet obviously hid a lot of dirt, so I was reluctant to take off my shoes.

The first room faced the back of the hotel, which I would expect to be a quieter side as the front of the hotel is on the Hwy 97 aka Harvey Ave. The new room faced inwards to the swimming pool (which closes at 10). However, we couldn't open our drapes because our window was right beside the balcony of the room around the corner. It was an incredibly weird set-up because anyone on that balcony would see right into our room -- and we did have neighbours who sat on their balcony.

The beds were comfortable and we slept well -- the noisy AC which ran the whole time was like white noise.

Our kitchenette included a bar fridge, cheap microwave, kettle and coffee maker.

On the morning of our departure, I went to the glass door at the back of the hotel to load the car -- the door would not open! I pushed the green button multiple times to release the lock but it wouldn't release. I thought to myself -- good thing there isn't a fire! I had to go out of one of the emergency exit doors instead.

The property needs a refurbishment and for the amount we paid, I expected a property with less visible maintenance issues -- and an elevator!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for mentioning our "professional and friendly" staff, comfortable beds and good sleep. I have noted your issues, met with our maintenance and housekeeping teams and addressed all of the details. We are constantly updating our rooms to offer our guests comfortable stays and great amenities and continue to work on improving our hotel. Our team loves what we do and we will continue to update, upgrade and strive to offer our guests the best in cleanliness, comfort and value. Feel free to contact me directly to book a future stay, I am sure that you will experience a good one.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

The first room I was given had very dity sheets and a broken window.

Second room was clean but widows are very drafty.

Almost every sound from outside the room can be heard very clearly. The road noise is dreadful. Got about 2 hours sleep at the most.

Vending machines don't work.

Clorine smell from the pool is through the whole building.

The staff are good, clearly trying to do their best but the hotel is clearly in desperate need of refurbishment.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for mentioning our "good" staff and for offering your valuable feedback. I had the vending machines serviced and reviewed our cleanliness and maintenance details with our hotel team. We do have 2 buildings and 220 rooms in various locations including our 11 floor tower. I am certain we can find you a quiet restful sleep. Contact me directly, I would be happy to invite you back.

250-860-6409

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

First visit was my nieces grad and her parents selected the hotel, we stayed in a suite: air conditioner worked poorly, vending machine for water took money and no ice in the tower at all. Because it was our first visit to this particular hotel we didn’t make a fuss just informed the front desk. Second and last ever visit to this hotel: emergency trip to Kelowna for the night so picked first hotel that we were close too and checked in: first room had a needle, tourniquet and drug paraphernalia in a drawer, husband changed room......response oh sorry. Once in new room same tower month later ice machine still doesn’t work and vending machine steals your money, then while being undressed getting ready for bed in walks a hotel worker to our room, no knock just walked in.......very embarrassing. Called down and spoke to the manager who basically said sorry no offer of any compensation for our horrible experience. We will never stay in this hotel again!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest:

I am very sorry for your experience and immediately reviewed protocol and procedures. I can assure you that the comfort of our guests is paramount and the good opinion of our guests held in high regard. We took immediate steps to address these issues, we coached our hotel teams and we worked with maintenance, housekeeping, front desk and our third party vending machine supplier. We can assure you that your feedback helped improve our hotel. I would like to invite you back and personally assist in booking your stay. Please reach out to me directly at the number below. I believe that our efforts will restore your faith in our hotel.

250-980-3150

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

When we visit a new place we like to walk from the hotel to discover the interesting shops and restaurants. Sadly the Sandman Kelowna is about an hours walk to Downtown so it did not work for us. We should have checked that out with our booking agent. Combine that with a very tired property, decorated mostly in very dark colours, a Denny’s just off the lobby, an inadequate room ac that sounded like a jet engine, and noisy guests next door and you have the makings of a disappointing stay.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for your feedback. The Sandman Hotel & Suites has a central location on the city, just about anywhere is 10 minutes or less and this makes it a very attractive location for most, but you are correct is is not downtown. Just to note we have 2 buildings with 2 colour schemes in terms of decor; our Tower Building has a lovely white and teal motif, the building also has 11 floors offering rooms far from traffic noise. We are certain that you will enjoy your next stay with us. Just contact me directly and let me know your preferences so I can get the room that best suits you.

250-860-6409