“Potential is there but....”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Thien An Restaurant
Ranked #1 048 of 2 616 Restaurants in Edmonton
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had dinner there today. This area is in dire need of a good Thai restaurant because the only other one that was anywhere near was the awful Pho & bun on 101 Avenue and 79 street.
First impressions are very clean and quite evident it's a family-run restaurant with the owners two teenage children working as servers. They really need to work on there welcoming and hosting skills but that can be easy accomplished I'm sure.
Two of us had vermicelli bowls and they were just okay period better than some but not nearly as good as others. The chicken was very good but the beef was very thin and dry and the fish sauce is a little on the bland side.
Strangely enough they do not have a combination vermicelli bowl with everything in it and you're only allowed to pick two items. The menu is very confusing with that so make sure you ask exactly what you're getting. The menus also hard to read because the writing is superimposed over dark colored pictures of food. Other than that it's a nice-looking menu with plenty of choices.

Along with the vermicelli bowl I ordered , you also get shrimp cake which tasted nothing like shrimp and was very chewy...almost like bean curd cake. I recommend you skip that part of it because if you've ever had shrimp cake at any dim sum place it is nothing like that and that was what I was expecting from a shrimp cake. Silly me.
The other person at our table order the rare beef pho and found it fairly good but questioned whether it was homemade broth or not and a bit light on the noodles. That thought should never even cross your mind quite frankly.

We also ordered an appetizer of for salad rolls with shrimp and pork and wilted lettuce. It was truly the most bland thing I've eaten in awhile and would not recommend spending the $7 for that even though it is reasonably priced. The spring rolls however were pretty decent so if you're looking for an appetizer perhaps try that or the onion cakes that somebody else recommended.

Nobody came by to ask us our meal was.

We had one pot of tea and three dishes and came to $50 plus GST and tip.
It wasn't a bad experience but the experience wasn't good enough for me to come back as there's always better ones out there so I will watch for other reviews to see if they improve. There is one directly across the street that is in competition with them that is much cheaper and a very basic pho restaurant so hopefully both will survive but if not may the best man win.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

I do love Vietnamese food, I have driven by this spot a couple of times and I decided to stop n for dinner.

I liked the spot, it is very clean, the staff was friendly. I ordered a B4, Vermicelli with beef, shrimp and a spring roll, and a Tsing Tao. The food was very good, I liked the way they served it, vermicelli and vegetables to the side, features on top. It was simple, fresh and well presented.

I will absolutely come back here.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Service is attentive and the place is modern and clean however the food could be a bit better. I enjoy Vietnamese food and have it regularly and was glad when the restaurant opened in the neighbourhood. I will still visit, but it won't be my go to place for good Vietnamese

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped here for dinner on advise of my daughter. Great appetizers, tried the green onion cakes, spring rolls, salad rolls, and dried garlic ribs. The beef with mixed vegetables was delicious. Heard the Pho is awesome too. I will definitely be back.

1  Thank marjll
Reviewed 28 July 2017

Friendly attentive service. Very nice, clean modern restaurant but... Pho had a powder bullion taste. Pad Thai had 4 toonie sized shrimp, sauce tasted like it came out of a jar and had simulated seafood product. Food court quality at a rather high price