“Busy Pub Helpful Staff”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We decided to have a trip out on a very damp Bank Holiday Monday. Lunch was first on the agenda and we went to The Cross Keys but it was not open for lunch and therefore we turned up to The Kings Arms. Most of the tables were reserved but we were given a table that we could have until 2 pm. That was fine. All we needed was a light lunch. I had a really good smoked salmon platter which was accompanied by my favourite Chase Elegant gin with elderflower tonic. Just a lovely light lunch. My friend was happy with the soup and a pot of tea,.

Service was good. The atmosphere was good and all was well.

When I came to write this review I saw that I had written a review in August a while ago when I complained about the apple and celariac soup being tasteless. I had forgotten about the soup at The King's Arms but I do remember the soup at another well regarded restaurant serving soup with a similar recipe being equally tasteless. I have forgiven that restaurant and have obviously forgiven the Kings Arms because I have come back.

When I mentioned the tastelessness of the soup last time when I wrote a review Lee Ball proprietor suggested I could have been wrong. That works both ways. This time I had a good experience. I still say the soup last time was tasteless. Maybe I could have been wrong about my recent satisfactory experience. Who knows?

1  Thank Hilary P

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We called into this pub today, a party of eight ,but after being told they were serving food when we asked for a table for eight were told they were too busy to accommodate us,(gentleman behind the bar) quite sharply . Wouldn't recommend this pub go next door to the Crown and Sandys where we enjoyed their excellent food .

2  Thank sandra1birmingham
kingsarmsombersley, Owner at Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Good afternoon sandra1birmingham,

I am presuming that the title of your ridiculous review is concerning your poor attitude rather than anyone of my employees.

For you to be so ignorant and arrogant that simply because your party of 8 turns up unannounced and requires a table on a Bank Holiday Easter Monday in my establishment that we'd have one for you and that when we simply couldn't physically accommodate your party in our 70 seat pub that you then moronically call into question a hard working member of my teams attitude beggars belief.

A very simple phone call at some point on your part would have saved your party and yourself the wasted journey to us or at the very least would've have given my team some time to shuffle around those tables that had the decency, good grace and common sense to book said tables on a busy Bank Holiday Monday.

The fact that the lovely Crown and Sandys next door could accommodate you on a Bank Holiday says more about the size of their establishment compared to ours and not a lot else really.

Regards,

Lee Ball
Proprietor

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice, helpful, polite staff. Good service and very good food, good portions cooked really well, veg not over cooked, can't fault it !

1  Thank OSMAN M
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Food was great, but service was extremely slow. We got asked if we wanted to see the desert menu, obviously said yes the guy said he would bring them over shortly. 30 minutes later we then collared him to ask can we have the desert menu please, he said ‘oh you wanted desserts’ - well you asked 30 minutes ago and we said yes so yes please? Durrrr.

After paying for our bill we expected a small amount of change back, as it was a small amount of change the young guy said behind the bar ‘oh here’s your change (waving it at us) expecting us to go and get it?! As far as I’m aware no matter the amount of change or even if it’s a receipt you expect it to be brought to you.

Would I go back, hmm possibly, as long as they fix up on their service!

4  Thank SMVG6-x
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Another lovely meal last night. Our friends had. £10 loyalty voucher and invited us to join them . My husband said his fish pie was delicious, as was my ham, eggs and chips (he did pinch a few) . Our friends both had steaks which were very good and we forced ourselves to have puddings, all lovely. Good choice of gins and beer. Got ourselves a loyalty card now as we eat here frequently but didn’t know about them

1  Thank Ann P